Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Three Minute Hero' - You Decide.....

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Freeman wasnt it... the guy who scored a hat trick first game of the season and never scored again?

???

12 goals in 54 games for us according to Wikipedia, assuming you mean Darren Freeman.

Including, of course, the first Football League goal of the new millennium (except it wasn't).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
In terms of the thread, I'd go for David "Pink Shirt" Yelldell.

sussexman32

Jan 6, 2010
Somewhere
How about Dave Clarkson? a few fantastic performances in midfield for us, one I can remember at the Goldstone against Swindon. Think he played in the World Cup for Australia?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Paul Wood - pretty sure he scored one or two in that famous 5-4 reverse away to Sheff Utd. 3-0 down at half time we came back to lead 4-3, before blowing it and losing 5-4. He went to to play for Sheff Utd.

And how about this random one.... Jamie Howell - currently the Bognor Regis Town boss. Sussex (Worthing) lad who was England under 16 and on Arsenal books.

He was on loan at Torquay I believe in 1997 and scored or created a goal for Torquay against Hereford in one of the last few games. A result that cost Hereford a couple of points and ultimately kept us in the football league. Some of the facts may not be as I remember but pretty sure this is the case.

Hmm wikepedia says he never scored for Torquay so now doubting myself!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Paul Wood - pretty sure he scored one or two in that famous 5-4 reverse away to Sheff Utd. 3-0 down at half time we came back to lead 4-3, before blowing it and losing 5-4. He went to to play for Sheff Utd.

And how about this random one.... Jamie Howell - currently the Bognor Regis Town boss. Sussex (Worthing) lad who was England under 16 and on Arsenal books.

He was on loan at Torquay I believe in 1997 and scored or created a goal for Torquay against Hereford in one of the last few games. A result that cost Hereford a couple of points and ultimately kept us in the football league. Some of the facts may not be as I remember but pretty sure this is the case.

Found it!

This match: http://www.11v11.com/matches/hereford-united-v-torquay-united-19-april-1997-181482/

April 19th 1997 - Hereford 1 Torquay 1 - I thought Howell scored but possibly he just played and created the goal

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hans Kray gets my vote, for the fact we signed him when he was serving 100 year ban in his own country and more for his eccentricity. The bobbing up and down in front of the keeper etc.

Of course Dave Clarkson could get a mention for admitting he closed his eyes when scoring against Utd!!!

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
I can see some candidates emerging here, definitely. For the record, it doesn't really matter if the players went on to become well known (ie Akinbiyi, Keown, Dickov etc). There's bound to be some younger fans or more recent converts to the Albion cause out there who have no idea that someone like Steve Sidwell even played for the Albion.

As for Hans Kraay - I actually think he's more of a Cult Hero among Albion fans and, as such, did a 'Cult Hero' piece on him a couple of seasons back. But there's no denying the man was a right character!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far and keep the suggestions coming.

Got to be Molango for that goal against Reading or maybe a certain Colin Hawkins isn't a bad shout... Can't remember the opposition at the Withdean but pretty certain he came on as a sub and pretty much ran in a a straight line to the changing rooms, conceding a penalty and getting sent off in the process?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Justin Fashanu, such a talent and a tragic end to his life.

Even his prat of a brother still can't bring himself to say much good about him. Anyone see his daughters documentary about her Uncle Justin. Really sad.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Didn't he wear it at Leeds, if my memory serves me correct

He did.

I think he wore a yellow shirt in the first half but was asked to change at half-time as he was clashing with the referee. For some reason, the only other available keeper's top was a pink one (why such a thing even existed I've no idea), which Yelldell then had to spend 45 minutes wearing while stood in front of the Leeds end.

If memory serves, he made a couple of good saves wearing it as well.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Barry Rees- such a waste of a fantastic talent. And if not, how about a mention for Adrian Thorne, whose five goals against Watford confirmed our first ever promotion. I know he played a fair few games but for us geriatrics that game will never be forgotten.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Franco Massimo : local schoolboy (Horsham), Sussex Schools Sprint Champion and someone I played against at school!! I stood open mouthed as he jogged on at the Goldstone for a sub appearance (About 1986/1987 - the darker Blue adidas kit with the 2 stripes across the chest...) Never saw him near the squad again..similar era to Richrad Tiltman and Darren Newman -

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Who was that Italian chap up front before Zamora arrived permanantly. And his song was recycled.

"When you wake up in bed with a horse's head - that's ...................".

Scored a few goals - looked like he was going to be the real deal - MA wanted him - but DK wanted Zamora.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If you're looking for a (very) recent player then maybe Abdul Razak?

Incredibly brief time here on loan but his performance against Ipswich has been mentioned as one of the best in an Albion shirt by several posters across various threads. If you were there then you know how good his 90 minutes were.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Who was that Italian chap up front before Zamora arrived permanantly. And his song was recycled.

"When you wake up in bed with a horse's head - that's ...................".

Scored a few goals - looked like he was going to be the real deal - MA wanted him - but DK wanted Zamora.

The only one that leaps to mind is Lorenzo Pinamonte, but his name wouldn't really fit the song you mentioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here