Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This week's 1901 meal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thing is, there aren't any MUGS buying it, well certainly not in the Overprice Lounge, nor in the Gold Lounges last weekend I understand.
I'm not & never will be a 1901'er, so I need a bit of a catch up, as I'm getting so confused, I have no idea who's what and where.

How's this, for your money:-
You all get nice/bestest seats in stadium.
Parking in Bennetts field.
Free coffee and a biscuit.
Albion celeb.
Dress nice
Don't be a twonk

But you don't get the run of the place, up there, there's separate lounges.
What do they do?
Do any of them give this food away?
Is it like the 'cheaper' lounges have to pay, middle lounge gets buffet food 'free', and the top lounge get silver service?

I thought it was one size fits hall in 1901-land.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm not & never will be a 1901'er, so I need a bit of a catch up, as I'm getting so confused, I have no idea who's what and where.

How's this, for your money:-
You all get nice/bestest seats in stadium.
Parking in Bennetts field.
Free coffee and a biscuit.
Albion celeb.
Dress nice
Don't be a twonk

But you don't get the run of the place, up there, there's separate lounges.
What do they do?
Do any of them give this food away?
Is it like the 'cheaper' lounges have to pay, middle lounge gets buffet food 'free', and the top lounge get silver service?

I thought it was one size fits hall in 1901-land.

Short answer, if you're a member of any lounges you have to pay for food.

3 course meals (£90 or £70) served in the 2 big lounges only, the Overprice and BURPA. If you are in one of the other Lounges, you can book to have the 3 course meal option in the 2 big lounges.

Generally you stick in your own lounge pre match for drink, as I said, no-one eats the buffet (sic). After the match a few people wander round to meet up with friends in other lounges.

I've heard they've tried to give away food for free when there's been no take-up, but didn't have too many takers, would you want to eat food that's sat under a heat lamp for goodness knows how long?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Why don't they research things properly....just put a 'Fish & Chip' trailer/food server on the concourse,sell at roadside prices... then see who takes the most profits....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
would you want to eat food that's sat under a heat lamp for goodness knows how long?
If it was free I would, which probably goes a long way to explaining why I'm not and never will be a 1901er :lol:

So it's clear the food is a non starter, and has been for quite a while (it's hard to tell on here if those that are complaining are actually affected), but surely it's no a deal breaker, is it?

I have a mental image of bored staff standing behind a hot plate piled high with uneaten food.
Are The Blooms et al closeted away, elsewhere, from all of this?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why don't they research things properly....just put a 'Fish & Chip' trailer/food server on the concourse,sell at roadside prices... then see who takes the most profits....

Food trading restrictions :bla: :bla:

Meanwhile a veritable food VILLAGE continues to grow and prosper just beyond the Amex perimeter, selling punters the food they want at the price they want. Oh well :shrug:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I sold my 1901 membership this summer, the value for money for me was just not there.

You either spend crazy money on a average meal or get ripped off for a very average buffet.

To me the club has disapeard up it's own arse slightly, the withdean catering when I used it was good value and all i would want from a meal at the footy. Plus the service was good.

At the very least I would have thought that a decent carvery priced between £15-20 with a dessert would have seen a ggod take up?

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Is this being anti veggie again.

First of all veggie noodles (withdrawn)
Veggie burgers (withdrawn)
Veggie jacket potatoes (withdrawn when lindleys got the push)
Meat lasagne gets added rice, veggie doesn't.

Don't tell @bozza

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So it's clear the food is a non starter, and has been for quite a while (it's hard to tell on here if those that are complaining are actually affected), but surely it's no a deal breaker, is it?

I have a mental image of bored staff standing behind a hot plate piled high with uneaten food.
Are The Blooms et al closeted away, elsewhere, from all of this?

No, it's no deal breaker, we don't eat there anymore, just a swift pint and a chinwag after the game, then down to Dicks or the North Stand.

The image of bored staff is 100% accurate.

As for the Blooms, they use the Baordroom, I imagine they get decent service and product. Then again they might also be a bit affected too. For the recent game against Newport County, they wouldn't let the Honorary Life President of Newport into the boardroom, they were only letting Directors in, and as he is only Life President, he was told to go into the Overprice lounge by himself. We had a chat with him, and found him a seat in the WSM, as he'd been given a ticket in the away end, and had been told to make his way round there for the match.

Oct 25, 2003
not a 1901 member, but i must say that they seem to have absolutely lost the ****ing plot with this one...literally can't get my head round why anyone would think that this would be in any way a good idea....heads need to roll

with a large chunk of the support being in central brighton before the game (basically lunch time) and after the game (basically dinner time), and with the vast array of possible eating locations in brighton that offer more exciting and cheaper (more appealing) dining experiences than the amex i'm shocked by barbers comments. The fans don't owe the club their custom, the club need to put in SOME effort. Especially in a city like brighton where they have real competition

i could almost eat for 2 at la choza for the same price as a bit of lasagne, 'rustic chips' and rice (who the **** dreamt that abstract creation up?)

Well, you can either have some slices of beef and chips for £12, or pub (and Costa Del Sol) classic lasagne and chips for £14. The non-veggie lasagne eaters amongst you* also get the rather bizarre addition of some jasmine steamed rice. This is also rather bizarrely titled as a buffet.

Match Special
Salt cured beef, Hand carved slices of salt cured beef served with rustic chips & baby leaves
Beef lasagne served with rustic chips, garlic bread & baby leaves, steamed jasmine rice
Vegetarian mediterranean vegetable lasagne served with rustic chips, garlic bread & baby leaves

* and mug enough to pay £14.
It must be quite a challenge to lose money, selling a couple of slices of beef, half a potato and a little bit of salad, for £14. But isn't that what they are claiming?

I reckon the only way to lose money at that price is to prepare so much food that most of it gets chucked away, then employ an army of staff to watch people not eating it, and fill the dining area with tables that are either unoccupied, or occupied by folk who aren't eating.

Maybe the answer is to cut the losses, by putting the prices up?

You have not been charged for this advice.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Looks like we may have to give up on the 1901 this week and go to The Swan. I really don't want to do this - but there isn't any food option that is viable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
lasagne, 'rustic chips' and rice (who the **** dreamt that abstract creation up?)

I bet people said exactly the same when Heston Blumenthal served up bacon and eggs ice cream.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Looks like we may have to give up on the 1901 this week and go to The Swan. I really don't want to do this - but there isn't any food option that is viable.

Only prob is The Swan is pretty well at max capacity. You have to get there really early to actually get in pub or it's outside and even that's chocca, so be prepared! But the BBQ beats anything in 1901 hands down by the sound of it

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Only prob is The Swan is pretty well at max capacity. You have to get there really early to actually get in pub or it's outside and even that's chocca, so be prepared! But the BBQ beats anything in 1901 hands down by the sound of it

This is the problem, we have been going to the Swan from day one but it is getting busier, alot of people have been away for the last couple of games so it will be interesting how busy it is over the coming weeks. If too many people go there it will be a victim of its own success and we will probably end up drinking in Lewes or Brighton instead if the queues get too bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here