Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This tells you all you need to know about the BBC

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I actually like the constant links from cunning fergus,at least he always backs up his argument with statistics and links,gives everyone the opportunity to assess the argument and the evidence presented and counter it if necessary ..........cant imagine that is a bad thing..........unless you are someone that hates statistics proving your standpoint is wrong

Thanks Pasta old bean..........you are too kind.

As for this thread on BBC bias, my own view is that if people who have worked in news for the BBC say it has a political bias in how it presents news..........then evidently it is biased.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnis...ey-and-the-questions-you-dont-ask-at-the-bbc/

These kinds of revelations are not new, Greg Dyke, John Humphreys, Rachael Garvey and others have all provided similar anecdotal views.

It is those who share this "group think" view who are the BBC's biggest supporters, they don't like people thinking for themselves.

The good news is those days are drawing to a close and decriminalisation of non payment of the licence fee, a socially progressive step, will means hundreds of thousands will stop paying. Myself included.

Happy days.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do a lot of work for the BBC, and was on the World Service yesterday.

The World Service is a fantastic organisation, that works on a shoestring budget, and reports on the widest variety of topics possible. It also is seen in many countries as the only source of objective and neutral broadcasting available to them.

It would be a shame for it to be lost, which is highly likely if those that want a commercially driven and privatised Auntie get their way. What little of the Reithian principles will then be swept away in a tide of ratings seeking dross, even more so than we currently endure.

There are good and not so good people at the Beeb. Rod Liddle is up his own arse, as is Nicky Campbell, but the likes of Humphries are fantastic.

Many who want rid of the Beeb in its present form are supported by Rupert Murdoch, the man who has a paywall around his news organisations, and who charges £650 a year if you want to watch football live.

If people would prefer this to the £145.50 for a TV licence then fair play to them, it's a free country. I'd feel uncomfortable with direct funding from government, unless of course you trust our political leaders.

As for political bias, people can find whatever evidence they want to suit their agenda. Chris Patten was a Tory MP, Nick Robinson head of the Young Conservatives. It doesn't make the BBC a hotbed of Conservatism though (although IMO it is a conservative organisation).

The real tragedy is that our elected politicians are getting their knickers in a twist about the BBC in all of this. Surely what is of greater importance is how to deal with the political and social vacuum that had been created by the involvement in Syria and Libya that has allowed the likes of IS to flourish. The geopolitical influence of Iran, Turkey, Saudi, Qatar and so on in the region, along with the odious behaviour of the Assad regime in Syria, the man who gassed his own citizens but now whose regime we appear to be trying to support, is surely a greater issue?

Cheap point scoring against the BBC perhaps is indicative that our government and its opposition are devoid of intelligence, insight and understanding of the Middle East, and are trivialising a humanitarian tragedy.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I do a lot of work for the BBC, and was on the World Service yesterday.

The World Service is a fantastic organisation, that works on a shoestring budget, and reports on the widest variety of topics possible. It also is seen in many countries as the only source of objective and neutral broadcasting available to them.

It would be a shame for it to be lost, which is highly likely if those that want a commercially driven and privatised Auntie get their way. What little of the Reithian principles will then be swept away in a tide of ratings seeking dross, even more so than we currently endure.

There are good and not so good people at the Beeb. Rod Liddle is up his own arse, as is Nicky Campbell, but the likes of Humphries are fantastic.

Many who want rid of the Beeb in its present form are supported by Rupert Murdoch, the man who has a paywall around his news organisations, and who charges £650 a year if you want to watch football live.

If people would prefer this to the £145.50 for a TV licence then fair play to them, it's a free country. I'd feel uncomfortable with direct funding from government, unless of course you trust our political leaders.

As for political bias, people can find whatever evidence they want to suit their agenda. Chris Patten was a Tory MP, Nick Robinson head of the Young Conservatives. It doesn't make the BBC a hotbed of Conservatism though (although IMO it is a conservative organisation).

The real tragedy is that our elected politicians are getting their knickers in a twist about the BBC in all of this. Surely what is of greater importance is how to deal with the political and social vacuum that had been created by the involvement in Syria and Libya that has allowed the likes of IS to flourish. The geopolitical influence of Iran, Turkey, Saudi, Qatar and so on in the region, along with the odious behaviour of the Assad regime in Syria, the man who gassed his own citizens but now whose regime we appear to be trying to support, is surely a greater issue?

Cheap point scoring against the BBC perhaps is indicative that our government and its opposition are devoid of intelligence, insight and understanding of the Middle East, and are trivialising a humanitarian tragedy.

The world service is a last vestige of British imperialism, it's our ability to communicate our Govts version of events to the world and that is why the Foreign Office use a proportion of funds they get from taxpayers to pay a significant percentage of its costs.

As many on here would argue, we are no longer a significant actor on the world stage, we should stop using taxpayers funds to prop this up. Let's use the money to do things for people in is country, or pay off the crippling amount of debt we have..........the same goes for foreign aid.

Every little helps.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm not willing to engage in conversation with someone who accuses me of being sympathetic to paedophiles

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It really isn't.

His point is that the BBC is INFESTED with limp-wristed, sandal-wearing, Guardian-reading, weak-willed liberals, who epitomise all that is wrong with Britain today, and are afraid to call a spade a spade.
Nailed it :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'll be back on the BEEB at 5:10 this afternoon talking about the Albion* giving exclusive access to the books to a preferred buyer who wants to complete a deal by the end of the month.

*Not Brighton and Hove Albion

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'll be back on the BEEB at 5:10 this afternoon talking about the Albion* giving exclusive access to the books to a preferred buyer who wants to complete a deal by the end of the month.

what channel ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

if you could get me some ''memorabilia'' from konnie huq i'd be grateful(preferably used :lolol:)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/media/bbc-ordered-to-refer-to-terminator-as-t-800-2015070399884

BBC ordered to refer to Terminator as T-800
03-07-15

THE government has told the BBC not to prejudice the public by referring to the T-800 as the Terminator.

The time-travelling robot has registered an official complaint, backed by more than 60,000 Daily Mail readers after a column by Peter Hitchens, about the broadcaster’s use of a disliked nickname.

Culture secretary Ed Vaizey said: “This is a perfect example of BBC bias, using a discredited, outdated tag to turn opinions against the work this tireless servant is doing for Skynet.

“Also, as a broadcaster with a duty to inform, they really ought to distinguish between the T-800, the rubber-skinned T-600 shape-shifting T-1000 and the T-X models. I mean that’s basic news reporting.”

The BBC has offered a full apology and right of reply to the T-800, who will appear on Monday’s Today to debate the rights and wrongs of changing the future with John Humphrys and guest Sarah Connor.

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here