Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This tells you all you need to know about the BBC

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What's in a name? ............I think the name "Islamic State" conjures up enough negative emotions in people anyway.
On the subject of fairness...Yes, I do like the media to be fair and impartial . It is their job to inform, not to interpret the news. One cannot be "fair" in selected instances. You are either fair or you are unfair, and I know which I would prefer

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Says Dave , who got offended by the username pastafarian, a case of the pot calling the kettle black I think ?

Im not offended by it in the slightest. Im not a Rastafarian. I just think he is a bit foolish. To use a comical name that is instantly recognizable as a take on Rastafarian doesnt suggest a dislike of ALL religions. Just a piss take of one.

Carry on being a permanently offended and frustrated little Englander.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Cameron was on Radio Four earlier on the week discussing just this. He said he's rather the BBC refer to them as 'The so called 'Islamic State' or "ISIL" - because their actions have nothing to do with the teachings of Islam and by calling them 'The Islamic State' infers they represent ordinary muslims, which of course they don't. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Perhaps it is time to join with the French and call them Daesh.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
But if the reporting is about a bombing, or a gun attack, the person is referred to as an Islamic State bomber / gunman / assailant / terrorist, etc. Those terms fairly clearly identify what that person is, do they not? Why would you not want them identified? It makes absolutely no sense.

Christ you're hard work, what part of " I have a problem with their stance of wanting to be fair to ISIS , and tying themselves up in knots about using pejorative terms" are you struggling with ? It's their STANCE I have a problem with, I don't care if they call them Andy pandys Islamic militia, clear enough for you ?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
To be fair the BBC are usually fairly balanced with the news (and rightly so). There is definetly room for improvement and there are times when it could argued they lean a certain direction on some matters, but on the whole I would say we have it pretty good with the BBC! One thing I think they should allow more of are public comments below the news stories, as we would get a much clearer picture of public opinion. It seems they only cherry pick the odd news story once in a blue moon to allow people to comment on and all the main/controversial news have comments disallowed.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a joke thread. Everyone who saw the reports on the BBC of the attack know it was a terrorist attack. It doesn't really matter whether they are called IS, ISIL or Islamic State or So called Islamic State, anyone with a few brain cells to rub together will know they are an extreme group that purport to follow the teachings of Islam. Only an idiot will think that their actions are representative of all Muslims just as only an idiot would imagine that the actions of some far right Christian groups represent all Protestants, Catholic, Methodists etc. This thread is about someone who has a beef about paying for the BBC, nothing more, nothing less.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What a joke thread. Everyone who saw the reports on the BBC of the attack know it was a terrorist attack. It doesn't really matter whether they are called IS, ISIL or Islamic State or So called Islamic State, anyone with a few brain cells to rub together will know they are an extreme group that purport to follow the teachings of Islam. Only an idiot will think that their actions are representative of all Muslims just as only an idiot would imagine that the actions of some far right Christian groups represent all Protestants, Catholic, Methodists etc. This thread is about someone who has a beef about paying for the BBC, nothing more, nothing less.
it's nothing of the sort, I suggest you read what I posted.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Christ you're hard work, what part of " I have a problem with their stance of wanting to be fair to ISIS , and tying themselves up in knots about using pejorative terms" are you struggling with ? It's their STANCE I have a problem with, I don't care if they call them Andy pandys Islamic militia, clear enough for you ?

But they have NOT said ANYTHING about 'having a stance of wanting to be fair to ISIS'. You and the Independant have made that part up.

This is what he actually wrote (as well you know):

""The BBC takes a common sense view when deciding how to describe organisations, we take our cue from the organisation's description of itself. We have recognised that used on its own the name Islamic State could suggest that such a state exists and such an interpretation is misleading. So we have caveated the name "Islamic State" with words which qualify it eg "so called Islamic State"."

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

Did you read the rest of the article? You undermine whatever it is you're trying to imply if you cherry pick random words in a sentence that make some sort of point. What is your point exactly?

Oh and to quote the BBC itself: "Anyone listening to what we say can be in no doubt as to what kind of organisation this is. We also use the terms 'extremist' and 'fighters' alongside it."

What is your point?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Did you read the rest of the article? You undermine whatever it is you're trying to imply if you cherry pick random words in a sentence that make some sort of point. What is your point exactly?

Oh and to quote the BBC itself: "Anyone listening to what we say can be in no doubt as to what kind of organisation this is. We also use the terms 'extremist' and 'fighters' alongside it."

What is your point?

His point is he doesn't like paying for the licence fee.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What's in a name? ............I think the name "Islamic State" conjures up enough negative emotions in people anyway.
On the subject of fairness...Yes, I do like the media to be fair and impartial . It is their job to inform, not to interpret the news. One cannot be "fair" in selected instances. You are either fair or you are unfair, and I know which I would prefer

yep I will go along with this, call them what you like it does not alter the fact that they are a bunch of murdering thugs

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
His point is he doesn't like paying for the licence fee.

It really isn't.

His point is that the BBC is INFESTED with limp-wristed, sandal-wearing, Guardian-reading, weak-willed liberals, who epitomise all that is wrong with Britain today, and are afraid to call a spade a spade.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
it's nothing of the sort, I suggest you read what I posted.

There are quite a few who are struggling to see exactly what you are saying then. It seems you have jumped on the word fair to imply that the BBC are now trying to be more pro IS. I haven't seen any report that hasn't implied or stated that the attack was what it was, a terrorist attack on innocent people.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
dt150607.jpg

:whistle:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have we established what the BBC should call the group that call themselves Islamic State? the Presumed Islamic Suggested State?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
You wouldn't be happy about the BBC whatever they did, so what's the point starting a thread about it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here