Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This tells you all you need to know about the BBC

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This chaff reminds me of ww2 and trying to differentiate between Nazis and Germans. Until total defeat they're 1 in same no matter what want to refer to them as. They're to be destroyed. Until then, arguing over names is irrelevant.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not calling them IS coupled with the minutes silence should have them quaking in their boots.

Maybe the government should concentrate on coming up with some kind of strategy to stop these people.

Just seems like massive diversion tactics to avoid the fact that no-one is actually doing anything.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've worked at Reuters for 15 years now. Our organisation and journalists pride themselves on their impartiality. Surely everyone wants to read an unbiased account of what's going on??

Not everyone apparently.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
ISIS is an organisation that wants to destroy our way of life, it is at war with us, it has just killed 38 people in cold blood in Tunisia, would you have wanted them to remain impartial about the nazis ?

Yes, otherwise what you are describing is propaganda. The Nazis and IS do enough henious things that an impartial report will allow us to make up our minds.

Calling them something different makes no difference to this. Really all this is is just another version of political correctness.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Calling them Islamic State or ISIL or Daesh
What a problem that has been laid at our doorstep.

Im sure the poor people being slaughtered in Raqqa and elsewhere keep themselves awake at night over this very same issue

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Cameron was on Radio Four earlier on the week discussing just this. He said he's rather the BBC refer to them as 'The so called 'Islamic State' or "ISIL" - because their actions have nothing to do with the teachings of Islam and by calling them 'The Islamic State' infers they represent ordinary muslims, which of course they don't. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Most people have managed to come to this conclusion while they have been called the Islamic State. Some of course choose to blur these lines for their own agenda and this would continue what ever the group were called and what ever caveat was put on the name. Should we really be dumbing down the news for the few who genuinely think that the name Islamic State means that they represent all Muslims (and are a legitimate State)?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Christ you're hard work, what part of " I have a problem with their stance of wanting to be fair to ISIS , and tying themselves up in knots about using pejorative terms" are you struggling with ? It's their STANCE I have a problem with, I don't care if they call them Andy pandys Islamic militia, clear enough for you ?

This is like talking to my 8 year old. One can either be fair or not fair. You can't be fair 'to' a certain group or person without being fair to all other wise you are not being fair.

The BBC know this and (unless i have missed it) have not talked about being 'fair to ISIS' they have simply said that
"The BBC takes a common sense view when deciding how to describe organisations, we take our cue from the organisation's description of itself.

and that given that their name does not represent them accurately they also said

"We call the group by the name it uses itself, and regularly review our approach. We also use additional descriptions to help make it clear we are referring to the group as they refer to themselves, such as ‘so-called Islamic State’.”

It is the journalist that made the comment about being fair and then put it in quotation marks in the headline. Presumable he did this to spark outrage and controversy from the hard of thinking.

if as you say you have no problem with what the BBC call them but only that they are trying to be 'fair to ISIS' then you are really getting upset about nothing but the journalists attempts to upset you. This is just shoddy journalism and a nothing story.

Hook line and sinker.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Calling them Islamic State or ISIL or Daesh
What a problem that has been laid at our doorstep.

Im sure the poor people being slaughtered in Raqqa and elsewhere keep themselves awake at night over this very same issue

Not often we agree on these kind of threads Pasta but you are bang on the money here.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Listening 5 live breakfast this morning and they had a chap on that worked at a mosque that supported the ideology that we should let these idiots leave the UK to go and fight but then if they survive deny them the right to return.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Unreal. In a very very long line of shit threads started by the OP.

I'd suggest that politicians and the like butt out and let the BBC do their job of reporting the news.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Is this Mr Mizen or [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION]?

I actually like the constant links from cunning fergus,at least he always backs up his argument with statistics and links,gives everyone the opportunity to assess the argument and the evidence presented and counter it if necessary ..........cant imagine that is a bad thing..........unless you are someone that hates statistics proving your standpoint is wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here