Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This 'plastic fan' thing......

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yep spot on as a lovely stadium now means that all have run out of excuses not to go on a regular basis,but that's not a surprise is it as things are great. :)

So many people who went away when we at Withdean don't now-

A pre match pub crawl through Brighton and a trip on the train(like the old days without having to pay :lol: ) to Falmer is just like an away day now,it's great..

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So many people who went away when we at Withdean don't now-

A pre match pub crawl through Brighton and a trip on the train(like the old days without having to pay :lol: ) to Falmer is just like an away day now,it's great..
Went to the withdean once and i must admit and it was that aweful stoke game which doesn't help,i really really hated the place,went to away games though:)

So much more exciting now like you say and it can only get better which is greattttttt:)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
My parents moved to Brighton in 1980 and my brother took me to my first game in 1981, so very much the glory days. Everyone has to start supporting the Albion some time.

What was lovely last season was seeing kids, who up until recently followed PL teams, becoming Albion fans. One chap I sit near has an eight-year-old son who, until last season 'supported' Liverpool, despite living in Haywards Heath. Twelve months on and he's ditched the Reds and is Albion through and through. Fantastic.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
My parents moved to Brighton in 1980 and my brother took me to my first game in 1981, so very much the glory days. Everyone has to start supporting the Albion some time.

What was lovely last season was seeing kids, who up until recently followed PL teams, becoming Albion fans. One chap I sit near has an eight-year-old son who, until last season 'supported' Liverpool, despite living in Haywards Heath. Twelve months on and he's ditched the Reds and is Albion through and through. Fantastic.

This is a good point i can name 3 others who have ditched their premier allegiance. All now love the AMEX match day experience. The future looks greaT

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I am in the 'all welcome camp' but I would encourage newcomers to read books like Build a Bonfire, so that they know and understand what makes this the club that it is. There is no need for any labels other than Albion fan imo. If you pay your money for a ticket, shirt, scarf or hat, you'll do for me.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am in the 'all welcome camp' but I would encourage newcomers to read books like Build a Bonfire, so that they know and understand what makes this the club that it is. There is no need for any labels other than Albion fan imo. If you pay your money for a ticket, shirt, scarf or hat, you'll do for me.

This

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I started watching the Albion in the late 50's and loved the Goldstone. It was everything a football ground should be! When I moved away in the late 70's I saw mostly away games and that carried on until now. I saw us four times in 2 years at Priestfield out of loyalty rather than joy and I only ever saw a handful of games at Withdean where the long journey became wearisome and, because of the restrictions imposed on the club, the difficulty of getting a ticket became an issue. I continued to watch maybe 10 or 15 away games a season every season though just as last year when I managed 14 away games and 4 at home. Okay so I was inspired by the Amex to buy two season tickets for this year coming. Who wouldn't be if they could afford it? Does that make me a JCL?

As far as I'm concerned here is no such thing as a plastic fan - not if they've shelled out £500 notes for the pleasure anyway :)
Each and every one of the supporters, home and away (sometimes especially away) adds to the experience - although I will admit to giving extra respect to anyone who was a STH at Priestfield..............that was such a godawful time and place!

palace2

Jan 21, 2010
getting back to this one. Can i have one simple question answered?
How can you got from averaging 3,000 about 4 years ago at withdean to now getting over 20,000? thats about 50% full to now nearly full every game.

And im not forgetting about palace either when they was in the prem we averaged 24,000 but we now average around 16 but that is no where near as drastic as getting 2,000 at home to crew on a tuesday night to 26,000 to leeds etc.

so where have 22,000 people come from?
its down to 99% plastics and even the odd " its a new stadium never supported them but looks fantastic we have got to go down there" it all seems to me thats its more of an attraction for some people down there rather than a serious football club????

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
How can you got from averaging 3,000 about 4 years ago at withdean to now getting over 20,000? thats about 50% full to now nearly full every game.

And im not forgetting about palace either when they was in the prem we averaged 24,000 but we now average around 16 but that is no where near as drastic as getting 2,000 at home to crew on a tuesday night to 26,000 to leeds etc.

We round them up at gunpoint and march them into the stadium. Via the Superstore.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Bugger, why have we never thought of doing that? Certainly worth a thought about doing that to the additional 4k that were there on Saturday to get them to the Blackpool game.

On a personal note I only respond with 'yes but they're plastics' when the Major goes on about attendances when he's clutching at straws. I think it's great you're getting 25k+ at games and home when we finally redevelop Selhurst Park we'll get the same.

Dec 29, 2011
All about the catchment area. A city of 250,000 which rises drastically if you go as far as Hastings in the east, Littlehampton in the West and below Crawley in the north. No other 'big' teams until Palace and Portsmouth.

Your next question will be "but where were all these people in the Withdean"?.

A few points to answer that:
  • The Amex's different location makes it more appealing to fans. This is partly due to easier access (the Withdean was a nightmare for non-Brighton residents to get to) and also being located next to Moulsecoomb/Coldean area which I'm sure attracts lots of fans from around that way.
  • Better stadium - who wants to sit in the rain for 90 minutes? The Amex is a much more appealing and enjoyable place to spend an afternoon and you can make a day-out of it, standing in the concourse before and after the game, the Withdean had none of this appeal. The Goldstone pulled in a lot more than 7,000 back in the day, the fans that were put off in the Withdean years have come back to relive the glory days.
  • The hype - yes, it might be seen as 'plastics' jumping on the bandwagon but hopefully some or most of these fans will catch the Albion bug and come to many home games for years to come due to coming for a few seasons while it's all the rage.
  • The division makes a difference. Again, a bit plasticy as in "would they still come if it was League 1" and I don't think we'd get above 20k for any game if we were in League 1. Hopefully the Albion are in the Championship and Premier league long enough to turn some of the "wouldn't attend in league 1" brigade into die hard fans.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I know loads of people who wouldn't step inside Withdean but now own season tickets or their own boxes. I'm not saying it's right, I'm not condoning it, but if increasing these people's comfort means they shell out on boxes and season tickets then so be it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

its down to 99% plastics and even the odd " its a new stadium never supported them but looks fantastic we have got to go down there" it all seems to me thats its more of an attraction for some people down there rather than a serious football club????

No, that, with respect is complete crap.

I had a ST at Withdean for the first four years (during which time it was always sold out) but after four years, along with LOADS of others, gave it up. I had had enough of getting wet, being miles from the pitch and at a ground with no atmosphere.

I only went to away games after that, and yes I felt guilty about only giving money to other clubs, but that was the way it was.

So now I've a ST at The Amex, I'm a plastic am I?

Started going in the mid 70s, when incidentally we were getting BIGGER crowds than now.

I am sure there are some lapsed Chelsea fans who live in Brighton in our crowds, after all, if Palace were to ever get a new ground, you'd need more than your 14k regulars to fill it.

Palace went from 50,000 to 5,000 in the space of a couple of seasons. Explain that one?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

3000 was pretty much our average AWAY attendance!

Oh, and we took 30k+ to the Mill Stad, so fans haven't JUST come of the woodwork..

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In 1978 our low crowd was 18k for the season in this division, Priestfield scared away many down to 4k levels, no roof Withdean moved it back to 8k, the Amex & monthly DDs have taken us back to those 18k levels & beyond.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can i have one simple question answered?
Yes sure, be happy to help.
Firstly, we didn't average 3,000 4 years ago:
In 06/07 we averaged 6047
In 07/08 it was 5936
In 08/09 it was 6092
In 09/10 it was 6466

Secondly, these are all numbers though the gates, not tickets sold (now we report tickets sold, like you do).

Well it isn't 22k is it, it's nearer 18k, and those aren't new fans, they're the same fans going more often. In the Withdean years I had a season ticket to myself for a few years, and shared for couple of years, and only managed a few games some years (lived in London). Overall, I probably only went to 2 in 5 Withdean games. Now I take one of my children to every league game, so in our family attendances are up 5 fold (was 2 tickets in 5 games, now 10 tickets in 5 games). So I guess I'm the plastic you've been looking for.

it all seems to me thats its more of an attraction for some people down there rather than a serious football club????
:lol: whatever :)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Jealous. And I love it!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Right, you're telling me Palace would sell 16,000 seats in a 8,500 seater stadium when in League One? Have a laugh, you'd only get around 8,000 if you were in League One at most. If you went to Withdean, you'd realise how shit it really was, yes it served us well, but it was still really shit. If you counted all the people who went through the gates at Withdean I'm sure there'd be more than 6,000 or so out of the whole 12 years or so we were there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here