This 'plastic fan' thing......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Don't get me wrong it's great for the club and I welcome most JCL's with open arms. What annoys me though, are the ones who used to show absolutely no interest in the Albion when we were shit and really needed their support but now come flocking to see a successful team playing in a brand new stadium. I know a few people that would actually take the piss out of the club "why would I support shit like Brighton?!" funny how attitudes change isn't it?

Don't get me wrong it's great for the club and I welcome most JCL's with open arms. What annoys me though, are the ones who used to show absolutely no interest in the Albion when we were shit and really needed their support but now come flocking to see a successful team playing in a brand new stadium. I know a few people that would actually take the piss out of the club "why would I support shit like Brighton?!" funny how attitudes change isn't it?

total contridiction, the fact you're annoyed demonstrates that anyone who sits near you would have to pass some sort of test to prove that had 'an interest' in the Albion when we were at Withdean or Gillingham and you're probably in the "i'd be happy if we only got 7000 at Falmer " camp

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
total contridiction, the fact you're annoyed demonstrates that anyone who sits near you would have to pass some sort of test to prove that had 'an interest' in the Albion when we were at Withdean or Gillingham and you're probably in the "i'd be happy if we only got 7000 at Falmer " camp

I don't see that quote as you do. There are some people who have always had affection for the Albion and would never take the p*ss although they no longer went etc. Then there are others who are simply glory-hunters. I also find that annoying although I would prefer they went to the game and contributed to the Albion's coffers.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Missed the point a tad there. As [MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] said it was aimed more towards the ones who have done a complete u-turn rather than the returning fans.

Still, their money is as good as anyones I suppose so all power to the club.

I don't see that quote as you do. There are some people who have always had affection for the Albion and would never take the p*ss although they no longer went etc. Then there are others who are simply glory-hunters. I also find that annoying although I would prefer they went to the game and contributed to the Albion's coffers.

fair enough, I'm no fan of text messages/facebook even message boards as some the context doesn't shine through.

I believe we're ALL equal, I've been going since 78, would I have been hooked if Wardy hadn't scored a hattrick in front of 23,000? I don't blame anyone that turned up at Withdean and thought it was shit.

As i've said despite being a long term fan I still have difficulty/miss out on tickets for some big games (most recently Palace away) however it is up to ME to secure a ticket for said match and do what it takes (i.e go in the home end) I would not question the credentials of those following the Albion at Palace/West Ham/Spurs/Liverpool etc.

If someone near me shouts out some bollocks, I'll put them right if i can be bothered, If I can't be bothered I don't give a shit, and if the bloke in front of me in the beer queue has never heard of Bobby Zamora that's his loss not mine

Missed the point a tad there. As [MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] said it was aimed more towards the ones who have done a complete u-turn rather than the returning fans.

Still, their money is as good as anyones I suppose so all power to the club.

no point missed (see above) but unless someone is properly invading my space at the match, I couldn't give a rat's cock what their personal history was

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If I,m out and about and the subject of The Albion comes up and I get even a whiff that the person I am talking to is a JCL then I tend to change the subject. I,m glad they are all coming to the Amex now but I prefer conversations with fans who can converse on games further back than 10 months.

p.s. 45 years.

You wouldn't offer them a history lesson to help them move on from being a JCL?

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
Ha! You will never avoid the plastic fan non issue when you are successful, which I consider the Albion are currently. You are playing fine football, in a great stadium in the championship.That is very marketable and people will want to but into that. The challenge for the Albion is to keep hold of these folk.
When we were in the Premiership the Valley used to be packed out with a range of people who did not probably support Charlton, but were football fans who wanted to watch the big names etc etc. When our fall from this lofty perch began they soon disappeared, leaving the hard core to attend week in week out.
The only issue for me about those JCL's was the fact that they were completely unrealistic about Charltons ability and expected us to win week in week out. I should imagine that is the same for you all.
Good luck in the coming season bar two fixtures of course!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
My interpretation of a plastic fan is someone who (so called) 'supports' a team from another town or city to where they were born.

I.e. Thousands of Man U, Chelsea, Spurs etc fans that live all round the country. I know people who say they support Spurs but have never even been there! TWATS!

You can't possibly have as much passion for another city's team as the one you are from. (In my oppinion)

You don't choose your team, your team chooses you!

This,why wasn`t i born in Manchester:D

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Glory hunters?
If im right we're a championship club and i don't seen where the glory is,glory hunters are known as prem fans who come along when trophy's are near etc etc,what's glory hunting got to do with fans buying season tickets before a championship season has kicked off?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
How do you know who showed no interest?you get the 5/7k hardcore at most clubs,can't see why fans going more regular now would annoy you.Problem is we have certain fans on here who felt special in that small hard core group and now don't,it's time they got over it as far as im concerned.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ha! You will never avoid the plastic fan non issue when you are successful, which I consider the Albion are currently. You are playing fine football, in a great stadium in the championship.That is very marketable and people will want to but into that. The challenge for the Albion is to keep hold of these folk.
When we were in the Premiership the Valley used to be packed out with a range of people who did not probably support Charlton, but were football fans who wanted to watch the big names etc etc. When our fall from this lofty perch began they soon disappeared, leaving the hard core to attend week in week out.
The only issue for me about those JCL's was the fact that they were completely unrealistic about Charltons ability and expected us to win week in week out. I should imagine that is the same for you all.
Good luck in the coming season bar two fixtures of course!
We are far from plastic pal,it's some idiots on here that make it seem that way because they was the die hard supporters a few years ago,90% are returning fans who hated withdean like me and picked away games instead.The withdean still had a large turnover of diffrent supporters for each home game and we had a members database of 25/30k so that tells you and many that our fans have been rotating games for years.Of cause you get people who go to less games when you are doing shite in the lower leagues,what club doesn't?

When we moved to withdean the demand was super super high and far more than 15k for some matches,people got fed up with trying to get tickets so gave up and went to away games,but being at that shitehole for so long put most off going there like me:)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Glory hunters?
If im right we're a championship club and i don't seen where the glory is,glory hunters are known as prem fans who come along when trophy's are near etc etc,what's glory hunting got to do with fans buying season tickets before a championship season has kicked off?

Actually I agree with you. I don't think that anyone who shells out on a season ticket is a glory hunter. Bad choice of words. To buy a season ticket, will that shows really good commitment and we need those fans. Most of the season ticket holders I know went every now and again to Withdean but were regulars at the Goldstone. These are not glory hunter either. As Addick said, it is simply a result of our relative success.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
This I agree with. As I have said before: my dad was in the army and we moved every 2 years, holland, Germany, Cyprus, Belgium, northern Ireland etc. he is a scouser and as such I had Liverpool kits as a kid and they were my team. I moved to Brighton when I was 12 and my first Brighton game was at the goldstone, jimmy case testimonial against Liverpool. As the years went on I became less of a Liverpool fan and more a Brighton fan. My sports days were at the Withdean and then years later im watching the albion there Now at 34 I am and have been for many many years an Albion fan. Brighton is my town and the Albion are my club. I always check Liverpool scores out of interest and rib my dad and brother when they lose. But I'm not from Liverpool I'm from Brighton. So are my 2 boys who play football in albion shirts while their mates are wearing chelsea Am I plastic. Not one but of it!!

Nice post.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You wouldn't offer them a history lesson to help them move on from being a JCL?

No.
They might think I was trying to make a point.
I,m not saying that they are not real fans now though but there are plenty of places they can read up on about their 'new team'

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I love it and long may it continue-

And to think there will be another 10,000 people who will (ONLY) watch Brighton in the Premier League i say we need a 40,000 capacity..

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I love it and long may it continue-

And to think there will be another 10,000 people who will (ONLY) watch Brighton in the Premier League i say we need a 40,000 capacity..
The real plastics and glory hunters haven't arrived yet,wait til we get to the prem when a 50k capacity will be needed:thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Actually I agree with you. I don't think that anyone who shells out on a season ticket is a glory hunter. Bad choice of words. To buy a season ticket, will that shows really good commitment and we need those fans. Most of the season ticket holders I know went every now and again to Withdean but were regulars at the Goldstone. These are not glory hunter either. As Addick said, it is simply a result of our relative success.
Yep spot on as a lovely stadium now means that all have run out of excuses not to go on a regular basis,but that's not a surprise is it as things are great. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports