Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This government is in tatters, u-turn after u-turn. Are they leading the country any more?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Who would have thought we'd have a u turn government when we have a coalition? Well done Lib dems (muppets) for voting against boundary changes. So we now get the prospect of another Tory coalition, or Labour goverment. I dont know which us worse. Politics in this country has to change.

Well firstly, not surprisingly, the boundary changes were weighted in favour of the conservatives and secondly, the only reason the Lib Dems voted against it was in response to the fact that the Tories reneged on their part of the deal with regard to reform of the house of Lords. Too many Tory backbenchers not remembering that despite the worst recession in living memory and the calamity that was Gordon Brown's leadership, they failed to win enough seats to form a government on their own!!!!

You mean that rolling stock that was far more reliable and comfortable and could actually seat normal sized people without actually having to feel the sweat from a passenger sitting next to you ? Yes, great switch that one !

I assume you are comparing the old slam door trains with the old FCC rolling stock which I agree are a tight squeeze. However, the Southern trains are far better than the slam doors. Air conditioned and enough room. As for reliability, do you have any statistics to back up your statement? When I commuted to London, I always used Southern trains (except of course when there was a late finish and FCC, or Thameslink as it was then, was the only option from London Bridge) and found it far easier to nod off in my own seat!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Well firstly, not surprisingly, the boundary changes were weighted in favour of the conservatives and secondly, the only reason the Lib Dems voted against it was in response to the fact that the Tories reneged on their part of the deal with regard to reform of the house of Lords. Too many Tory backbenchers not remembering that despite the worst recession in living memory and the calamity that was Gordon Brown's leadership, they failed to win enough seats to form a government on their own!!!!

I assume you are comparing the old slam door trains with the old FCC rolling stock which I agree are a tight squeeze. However, the Southern trains are far better than the slam doors. Air conditioned and enough room. As for reliability, do you have any statistics to back up your statement? When I commuted to London, I always used Southern trains (except of course when there was a late finish and FCC, or Thameslink as it was then, was the only option from London Bridge) and found it far easier to nod off in my own seat!
Short term memory loss mate,have you forgot that the Lib Dems reneged on the deal that if they got a referendum on PR they would back a deal on the amount of MPs in the House of Commons....they gor their referendum which was rejected by the country then refused to give their backing to the Commons reform. The last boundry changes were a massive advantage to Labour. As for Peerages...how many were given by Blair for 'favours'.........corruption is rife but please don't think it is all the fault of the wicked Tories. Class does'nt come in to it....many Labour and LibDems have made a fortune out of tax fiddles as well...class...remember TB went to uni as well........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Politics in this country has to change.

How? For the record I support proportional representation but this will not happen to another generation at least.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always used Southern trains (except of course when there was a late finish and FCC, or Thameslink as it was then, was the only option from London Bridge) and found it far easier to nod off in my own seat!

Most find this difficult when their blood is boiling, they're seething with anger or incandescent with rage over the shit that the rail companies serve up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Short term memory loss mate,have you forgot that the Lib Dems reneged on the deal that if they got a referendum on PR they would back a deal on the amount of MPs in the House of Commons....they gor their referendum which was rejected by the country then refused to give their backing to the Commons reform. The last boundry changes were a massive advantage to Labour. As for Peerages...how many were given by Blair for 'favours'.........corruption is rife but please don't think it is all the fault of the wicked Tories. Class does'nt come in to it....many Labour and LibDems have made a fortune out of tax fiddles as well...class...remember TB went to uni as well........

What are you babbling on about? Jesus, you have a bigger chip on your shoulder than Leon! Part of the coalition agreement was reform of the house of lords, which was clearly a Lib Dem policy, which the Tories decided to abandon hence the reason the Lib Dems then didn't support the Tory policy for boundary changes. Right or wrong, they made a statement that in a coalition you can't pick and chose which part of the agreement you adhere to without repercussions. I think everyone is well aware that in the past both parties have awarded peerages for 'favors' done. And where did the class argument come into it?

Most find this difficult when their blood is boiling, they're seething with anger or incandescent with rage over the shit that the rail companies serve up.

Whilst I stopped commuting in 2007, up till then I can't recall sitting in a carriage full of commuters as you describe them. Half were probably nodding off anyway!!! Also, when I do travel on the train now I don't see many people sitting there seething with rage! Perhaps a few more chill pills should be available form the buffet trolley!!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What are you babbling on about? Jesus, you have a bigger chip on your shoulder than Leon! Part of the coalition agreement was reform of the house of lords, which was clearly a Lib Dem policy, which the Tories decided to abandon hence the reason the Lib Dems then didn't support the Tory policy for boundary changes. Right or wrong, they made a statement that in a coalition you can't pick and chose which part of the agreement you adhere to without repercussions. I think everyone is well aware that in the past both parties have awarded peerages for 'favors' done. And where did the class argument come into it?

Whilst I stopped commuting in 2007, up till then I can't recall sitting in a carriage full of commuters as you describe them. Half were probably nodding off anyway!!! Also, when I do travel on the train now I don't see many people sitting there seething with rage! Perhaps a few more chill pills should be available form the buffet trolley!!!

That's the point with seething isn't it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What are you babbling on about? Jesus, you have a bigger chip on your shoulder than Leon! Part of the coalition agreement was reform of the house of lords, which was clearly a Lib Dem policy, which the Tories decided to abandon hence the reason the Lib Dems then didn't support the Tory policy for boundary changes.

thats not entirely historically accurate is it now. Clegg himself abandoned the Lords reform after he failed to get support for his proposals from anyone, and saw the legislation would flounder and stuff up all other business in parliament. there were at the time many tories supportive of some reform, just not what was proposed. same for Labour, they didnt like what was on offer and wanted to make mischeif of course. there were valid questions that Clegg wouldnt address, such as how come the Bishops would remain. in the end he killed it rather than be humilated again like with AV. really this just show how little political capital he had, he couldn't even get Labour on board.

all of this is no excuse really for childishly taking ones bat home over another policy. its quite surprising how unbalanced seats are, with some 40% larger than the smallest.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Gove is becoming a bit if a joke. No teacher I work with agrees with his vision and I think he is trying to make his impact on education for purely egotistical reasons. Rumours I have heard are:

Rumour 1: apparently the new primary curriculum was devised with Gove, someone from the treasury and educational experts. Good. Makes sense. But apparently all the experts disagreed and left!

Rumour 2: a King James Bible was sent out to every school with a covering page from Mr Gove. We have one and it is a beautiful book aside from that page but apparently it was made in China at a cost of £500k to the tax payer. When this news was released the books were put in storage in Eastern Europe somewhere whilst a donor was found.

Have to say I would like to see a Secretary of State for education have a background in that field as I'm sure doctors and nurses would for health. Estelle Morris was a teacher and was an effective Secretary of State but it is not usual. It is seen as an area that can be toyed around with and is just a career path.

Gove's vision is to bring 1950's Eton learning to state schools. In my opinion it is ill thought through. The world has moved on. If he wishes to give schools the budget of Eton then there would be massive improvement.

All the government needs to do us reduce class sizes and have zero tolerance on poorly behaved pupils and actually support schools. These simple ideas will raise standards but are too costly. I am realistic!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I see what you have done there! Totally ignored what was inherited by labour in 1997. Do you remember the 80s when hospital ward after hospital ward was closed by the Tories. Nurse training was decimated and we therefore had to plunder nurses from abroad. You also blame any corruption in the Police on labour? Exactly how is the whole transport system out of date? Seem to recall that under labour, the rolling stock was upgraded with all slam door trains disappearing on the main line here in the south. You slag off labour for apparently buying votes with benefits but ignore the fact that tories helped millionaires etc with their removal of the 50p tax rate?

Thats right inherited an economy with a third of the national debt it had at the end of their tenure, a government that had taken us to only one just war, a PM who was not afraid to tell Reagan about what she thought, a tenure of 18 years in which the country was made more competitive, less regulated by the unions, oh yes and clean (remember the winter of discontent). A tory government that had to pay down loans to the IMF taken out by the previous labour government, a police force admittedly that was on a continuous journey of being corrupt, genuine benefits paid to genuine claimants, people being able to afford a mortgage and purchse a house, an education system that produced young people fit for the workplace. And I am a working class man, brought up on a cancel estate in Hollingdean. I have no chip on my shoulder, just look for an honest reward for my input in life. Blair, Brown labour aristocrats have more than I will ever have,

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
How? For the record I support proportional representation but this will not happen to another generation at least.

If the Scots go independent then England will have a Tory government for years, if they don't we are stuck with a lib dem-(fill in party here) coalition. It's an utter shambles. A house with no leading parties but an elected member from each county to control a government, with a leader voted in by the government. No whips no encouraged party politics voting. Start from scratch. Something like the Swiss have with direct democracy. Our political system is from the Middle Ages and works like it is. Some sort if radical change is needed.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The reason why GCSE's have lost their credibility is the ease of getting a top grade by not really trying. When I took my GCE 'O' Levels it was all down to a final exam to test your knowledge of the subject plus they would deduct marks for punctuality , grammar and spelling mistakes.

Agreed, they need to make the marking harsher. A unified exam board would solve this and stop the 'bidding' for the most A*s.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
NHS in tatters, Stafford Hospital kills more than the taliban, children leaving school not able to read or write correctly, care industry not fit for purpose, banking industry taking the economy down, no aircraft carriers for the navy, 5m + on various benefits, immigration not working for those who live here, massive public corruption in the police force, local government, in parliament and a transport system that is out of date and thats just the previous Labour administration. Give Dave a break, this mess can't be changed in one parliament, Blair/Brown damaged this country immeasurably with their money can fix all approach and buying votes with benefits for all. Try going into the interior of Greece and see what is really happening to those who can't pay their debts. I'll give Dave time like i'll give Gus time.

Is Brighton that bad these days? Blimey. I lived all over the country during the Blair-Brown years, apart from London and the south-east, and it was clear there was definite and measured improvement in everything from the shambles the Tories had left. I don't recognise this rant you've posted, maybe it really is true that the tories are the party of the south-east and labour for the rest :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here