Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This government is in tatters, u-turn after u-turn. Are they leading the country any more?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But some spending was needed. The country was literally crumbling and falling apart.

but the spending didnt stop, it went on even when the cycle turned and was projected out 5-10 years into the future. an economic miracle had been found - ever increaseing house prices fulling consumer spending, low inflation, lowish interest rates what would last forever. when the deficit growth receded due to GDP rising above expectation around '06-07, that was taken as a cue to spend more, rather than an opportunity to lock in the benefits of good years to reduce the deficit, and hopefully one day the debt.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Gove is clueless. His policies are based on the views of an elitist privately educated clique which has no idea of life in the real world.He must go now before he u-turns so much he screws himself into the ground!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A flagship education policy bites the dust but there is a fallback to make exams a more accurate assessment of education standards. GCSE's will become reputable again with less emphasis on marks for coursework , multiple choice questions and answering a question in six words or less. How will the kids of today adapt to a written exam requiring answers in the form of a short essay ?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
A flagship education policy bites the dust but there is a fallback to make exams a more accurate assessment of education standards. GCSE's will become reputable again with less emphasis on marks for coursework , multiple choice questions and answering a question in six words or less. How will the kids of today adapt to a written exam requiring answers in the form of a short essay ?

Perhaps they should try and respond in 140 characters or less?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Whatever you might think of Blair at least he was a leader.

Thankfully he saved the NHS..................

NHS culture at Mid Staffs that tolerated low standards and sold patients short | Society | The Guardian

- - - Updated - - -

but the spending didnt stop, it went on even when the cycle turned and was projected out 5-10 years into the future. an economic miracle had been found - ever increaseing house prices fulling consumer spending, low inflation, lowish interest rates what would last forever. when the deficit growth receded due to GDP rising above expectation around '06-07, that was taken as a cue to spend more, rather than an opportunity to lock in the benefits of good years to reduce the deficit, and hopefully one day the debt.

Dont forget the £640bn worth of PFI payments that need to be paid and public sector pensions that are not on the accounts............

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Too many wankers jumping on the anti-Tory bandwagon without even considering that something may in fact be a good idea.

I wish they'd stuck to it - piss poor that there is another U-Turn.

I can't stand people jumping on the "you're jumping on the bandwagon" bandwagon. I'm serious. It's a pathetic argument and shows no thought process. Tory's are dismantling this country and f***ing the majority of UK population at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Good Lord. Has everyone forgotten the last 10 years under Blair/Brown already

Quite right. GET LABOUR OUT!!! DOWN WITH BROWN. GET LABOUR OUT. Oh, they've already gone? Best we concentrate on the Tory's then eh. Jesus wept.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The education system needs overhauling massively. Everything from term structures and hometimes, to curriculum and progress indicators hark back from when schools were structured around the industrial revolution and farming. The basic content of subjects such as maths were designed to teach younglings how to calibrate machinery and make engineering calculations (just one example) remain the same today and are clearly irrelevent and making teachers and pupils lives unhappy and unproductive. Wouldn't trust the Tory's to do this though. Teachers and leaders of employment and industry need to get their heads together on this.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Government ditches plan to educate people

Knowing nothing is no bar to getting a well-paid job
THE government has scrapped plans to educate people aged between five and 22.

Education secretary Michael Gove said teaching children was too complicated and taxpayers’ money would be better spent putting pictures on things.

But Mr Gove said that the abolition of education means that GCSEs will continue.

He added: “The modern GCSE is a proven method of not-educating. Teachers need the couldn’t-give-a-shit structure of the GCSE system to ensure that no-one learns anything important.”

The GCSE will be reformed to ensure that the level of a child’s non-education will remain a secret until they actually sit an end-of-year exam.

Mr Gove said: “With continuous assessment you run the risk of discovering that a child may be learning something and that is just a bureaucratic nightmare.”

The National Union of Teachers said it would support the move as long as it meant that its members did not have to learn anything new.

A spokesman added: “We need to find a way of abolishing education that takes the hassle out of being a teacher.”

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tell you what, nurseries could just have less staff and more kids. That's bound to work!

If only the government had thought of that ....... doh :facepalm:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Nibble and Driller - I take it neither of you have kids at secondary school ?

It's fascinating that despite all the "dumbing down" huge numbers of parents have major stressies about how their youngsters are going to get through their exams. My other half is running a session tonight for school parents to highlight resources they can use at home to help their children with maths. This is one of many sessions they are running at the school and they are very popular. Many parents recognise that good passes in Maths and English are essential to anyone wanting to get on these days and they are prepared to do whatever is necessary to make sure that their children do pass. There are plenty of people who just won't recognise the picture you paint of simple exams and de-motivated students and teachers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

It's fascinating that despite all the "dumbing down" huge numbers of parents have major stressies about how their youngsters are going to get through their exams. My other half is running a session tonight for school parents to highlight resources they can use at home to help their children with maths. This is one of many sessions they are running at the school and they are very popular. Many parents recognise that good passes in Maths and English are essential to anyone wanting to get on these days and they are prepared to do whatever is necessary to make sure that their children do pass. There are plenty of people who just won't recognise the picture you paint of simple exams and de-motivated students and teachers.

I don't see what that has to do with my point. I have nephews and nieces I am very close to all going through it. two of my Brothers are teachers and say the same, my ex is a teacher, she said it, about 20 of my friends are teachers and they all say it. I don't say teachers are demotivated or pupils I;m saying this can make them unhappy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

It's fascinating that despite all the "dumbing down" huge numbers of parents have major stressies about how their youngsters are going to get through their exams. ... There are plenty of people who just won't recognise the picture you paint of simple exams and de-motivated students and teachers.

i see the point you are making, however the colleges, universities and business are saying they are having to provide remedial classes to get new intake up to scratch.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Gove statement on GCSE U-turn: Politics live blog | Politics | guardian.co.uk

I am totally glad about this u-turn but you have to question a government which have made so many important policy f*** ups and reverses. Clueless.What a total and utter waste of EVERYONE'S time this particular issue has been.

I suppose this issue distracted the Tories from destroying what is left of the economy even further.

And to head off the 'they listened to the people' comments you listen to the people before you make an decision not the other way round.

You grauniad inspired leftwing ranting aside, coalition governments are by their very nature, weak, dithering and flip flopping. A better topic would have been "Whos still in favour of PR after watching these clowns in action?"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You grauniad inspired leftwing ranting aside, coalition governments are by their very nature, weak, dithering and flip flopping. A better topic would have been "Whos still in favour of PR after watching these clowns in action?"

PR is different though. You typically get overlapping parties joining forces as opposed to this unworkable left wing right pact the UK has.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Didn't do me any harm. Always been a Blair fan.
And your Blair 'for the working class# is now a multi millionaire....don't forget he went to uni as well...as for Brown we are now flooded with immigrants and he left the country with no money and trillions in debt....great were'nt they!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here