Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This government is in tatters, u-turn after u-turn. Are they leading the country any more?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gove statement on GCSE U-turn: Politics live blog | Politics | guardian.co.uk

I am totally glad about this u-turn but you have to question a government which have made so many important policy f*** ups and reverses. Clueless.What a total and utter waste of EVERYONE'S time this particular issue has been.

I suppose this issue distracted the Tories from destroying what is left of the economy even further.

And to head off the 'they listened to the people' comments you listen to the people before you make an decision not the other way round.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Too many wankers jumping on the anti-Tory bandwagon without even considering that something may in fact be a good idea.

I wish they'd stuck to it - piss poor that there is another U-Turn.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't believe the Government itself is clueless but Gove is and is clearly out of his depth ( and has been for quite some time ).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't believe the Government itself is clueless but Gove is and is clearly out of his depth ( and has been for quite some time ).

So who appointed Gove?

- - - Updated - - -

Too many wankers jumping on the anti-Tory bandwagon without even considering that something may in fact be a good idea.

I wish they'd stuck to it - piss poor that there is another U-Turn.

You cannot spin this into anything other than piss poor governing.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
So who appointed Gove?

- - - Updated - - -

You cannot spin this into anything other than piss poor governing.

I haven't spun anything - I agree; piss poor governing. If they are going to suggest revolutionary changes to the educational system, at least have the balls to carry them through and not let leftie spin whipping the country up into a frenzy, change anything.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
f***ing IDIOTS. This is clearly a good thing but it makes them look completely f***ing stupid AGAIN.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It's a good decision, but a decision they should not have had to make. It merely highlights how inept they are in government.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I checked out Gove's credentials earlier today when I heard about yet another U turn and what staggers me is that he has absolutely no experience of working within schools or universities and yet, whilst I realise it should be a pre-requisite that the Education Secretary should have been a teacher, I would have thought that it would have been better to install an Education Sec who has actually worked within the Education system...If there aren't any tories, then surely there must be a couple of Llib Dems who've worked in Education.

It's a bit like when Maggie appointed 40 a day chain smoker Nicholes Ridley to because the Health Minister in the 1980s!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
6a0133f249cfc1970b017d3bf0aa11970c-500wi

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Cameron was complaining recently about the relationship between the government and the civil service. This is nothing new every government thinks that the civil servants work against them and let's face it no one loves civil servants. They are however there to implement what is possible and this is not always the same as what is perceived to be practical.

Some of the arguments Gove has pushed, have struck me as frankly barmy. Even if you think bringing back Latin and Greek is a good idea, who exactly is going to teach these subjects ? Some things are worth pursuing and there is an element of truth that schools will look to pick the exam bodies that are perceived to provide the easiest exams, after all it has been made clear to them that they will be judged first and foremost on results. Gove's idea for a single exam board per subject has fallen foul of European competition rules, but even if it hadn't it isn't clear how this would offer value for money, or indeed raise standards. The answer surely is to put in more rigorous governance for the existing examination boards.

On social housing I applaud any attempts to try and improve things. I am sure we can all easily come up with plenty of way this could be better. The hard part is managing the transition and the very real impact this can have on people. Some of the examples of spare rooms (children in the forces, divorced dads etc) are deserving of more detailed consideration. If this means the politicians can't push ahead at the speed and the direction they want to, then so be it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Bottom line is that Gove is great at briefing the press - his wife works for and is a good friend of Ruper Murdoch - but he's not so ood at briefing his coalition partners and the agencies he relies on to implement his plan. He owes OFQUAL one after the English gsce cock up last year so the moment they came out against his plans, he was stuffed.

I don't have an issue with improving exam standards, reducing impact of coursework and so on, but that can be done within the current framework with a renaming exercise to clearly distinguish between pre 2015 and post results. But his lack of understanding of the need for arts and creative subjects, his unwillingness to publish marking schemes and expected benchmarks pre exams, and his fixation with Greek and Latin as languages rather than Spanish, Chinese etc which have more relevance for next 30 years is where he falls down.

Oh and his mouth looks like a cats anus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I don't recall you being so vociferous about this when Ed Balls, Alan Johnson, Ruth Kelly or David Blunkett held the equivalent post. And how do you feel about Stephen Twigg, Gove's opposite number in the Labour Party? Are you as cross that Labour have chosen someone with absolutely no experience of anything other than party activism?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here