Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third Ashes Test - England v Australia - Edgbaston

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very topsy-turvy this series it really seems to depend which team turns up on the day for both the Aussies and us

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
if (ThreadStarter == " [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] ")
{
Result = "WIN";
}
else
{
Result = "LOSE";
}

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Golden boy Root smashes the winning run. Who on earth could have seen this result after the Lord's fiasco?

Vindication of promoting Bell to 3 and dropping Balance. Vindication of selecting Finn.

Will Hales get the nod over Lyth? Hales will be playing at home, that might tip the scales for the selectors. The Anderson injury is a big concern. He loves Trent Bridge, he would have given the Aussies a torrid time there. That said, Broad is playing at home too and the stage is perfectly set for him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has that been established? I've seen reports of a torn muscle and another of him just having a tight side & being assessed overnight.
I see now that he's been ruled out of the 4th test, but (optimistically) hopes to be back for the 5th.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Man of the Match: Steven Finn :clap:

1st innings: 10-1-38-2 (Smith, Clarke)
2nd innings: 21-3-79-6 (Smith, Clarke, Voges, Marsh, Nevill and Johnson)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My best bet was Sydney 2002/03. A dead rubber. No McGrath or Warne. England were 9/1- silly odds. I made a packet on that one. No compensation for the fact that my good mate [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was actually at the match. The only time I've ever hated him.

Indeed I was. I was also at Edgbaston yesterday! That was brilliant too....... :)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
These are two poor batting sides. With the lack of class bowling world-wide, certain players are building reputations that they don't deserve. Wouldn't you just love to be a decent swing bowler in this era. Most of these guys have no judgement what to play and what to leave. Just put it in the slot, outside off-stump and they chase it every time. No plan to build an innings. Just crash, bang, wallop cricket. Poor attitude, lack of technique and lack of temperament.
Bang average cricket that is a smear on the great name of the Ashes.

The point I was trying to make is that all of cricket has now changed and what should be a marked difference between limited overs cricket and Test cricket is starting to disappear. Players are now so hell bent in forcing the pace of a game, they are starting to lose their discipline in playing the longer game.
Captains at all levels of cricket have now decided to dispense with a third man. Result....lots of cheap, quick and easy runs. Batsmen know they have just got to open the face and its a gimme four. Its penalising bowlers who don't deserve all these edges flying for four all the time. It speeds up the game because singles keep becoming fours. In most fielding positions, if a batsman keeps getting four through a certain area, they plug it up. Not with third man now. They just stand there arms folded and watch four after four go through that area.
Where is the attempt to control a game, if you are prepared to let every sneaky edge go for four. They pack the ring field but how many decent stops do you see? There is so much that goes through slips, gully and point and captains are hoping that their fielders stop stuff flying through at 100mph+. Madness.
The real control has gone at Test level. Players are uncertain whether to try and build an innings or blast away for a quick fix. The old adage of playing in the ' v ' for the first half hour has gone. Now, they don't even try and play themselves in. Just biff, bang, wallop from ball one.
I'm adamant that there has been a lack of quality in this series so far, with the batting. Most series you can think of a few poor shots. They stand out. In this series, there have been 3-4 per innings! Some have been almost inexplicable. Bell's incredible and inexcusable charge at Lyon, followed by a one-handed shot. Smith playing one of the worst agricultural mows ever seen at a critical time. Players playing all round or over straight ones and players chasing balls heading for second slip.
Amidst some very good shots, there has been a succession of truly awful dismissals and it shows no sign of abating.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
The Aussies really are the world's worst reviewers. I can understand reviewing a plum LBW based on the fact that he's the last batsman and it could've been a fraction high or something, but what is the point in reviewing an umpire's call on a catch that you knew that you'd hit?! ****.

May of been a no ball?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The point I was trying to make is that all of cricket has now changed and what should be a marked difference between limited overs cricket and Test cricket is starting to disappear. Players are now so hell bent in forcing the pace of a game, they are starting to lose their discipline in playing the longer game.
Captains at all levels of cricket have now decided to dispense with a third man. Result....lots of cheap, quick and easy runs. Batsmen know they have just got to open the face and its a gimme four. Its penalising bowlers who don't deserve all these edges flying for four all the time. It speeds up the game because singles keep becoming fours. In most fielding positions, if a batsman keeps getting four through a certain area, they plug it up. Not with third man now. They just stand there arms folded and watch four after four go through that area.
Where is the attempt to control a game, if you are prepared to let every sneaky edge go for four. They pack the ring field but how many decent stops do you see? There is so much that goes through slips, gully and point and captains are hoping that their fielders stop stuff flying through at 100mph+. Madness.
The real control has gone at Test level. Players are uncertain whether to try and build an innings or blast away for a quick fix. The old adage of playing in the ' v ' for the first half hour has gone. Now, they don't even try and play themselves in. Just biff, bang, wallop from ball one.
I'm adamant that there has been a lack of quality in this series so far, with the batting. Most series you can think of a few poor shots. They stand out. In this series, there have been 3-4 per innings! Some have been almost inexplicable. Bell's incredible and inexcusable charge at Lyon, followed by a one-handed shot. Smith playing one of the worst agricultural mows ever seen at a critical time. Players playing all round or over straight ones and players chasing balls heading for second slip.
Amidst some very good shots, there has been a succession of truly awful dismissals and it shows no sign of abating.

Whilst not even having a reasonable knowledge of the finer points of the game, I understand what you have said and that probably eschews to a Test Match finishing on day three !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I agree with this and you can see it at county level too. The batting techniques used in the limited overs game are now being applied increasingly to Championship games resulting in quicker scoring, lower totals and an increasing number of 3 day finishes - well, that applies to Sussex anyway!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
for (i = 0; i < numMatches; i++)
{
if(isEven(i))
{
Result = "WIN";
}
else
{
Result = "LOSE";
}
}

Ah good solid, attritional code there Badger. I've rewritten it for you in T20 C#/Java to get younger NSC people interested. Two lines, quick, bish bash bosh :

for (i = 0; i < numMatches; i++)
Result = (i % 2 = 0) ? "WIN" : "LOSE";

#hardcore

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What is the latest on Jimmy Anderson? If not fit who should be brought in?

Out for the next test and possibly the 5th at the Oval. Hopefully Wood will be OK and as stated by Captain Cook an "opportunity" beckons for someone to step up to the plate.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very topsy-turvy this series it really seems to depend which team turns up on the day for both the Aussies and us
I think it largely depends on the pitch too. Australia batted first on a flat pitch at Lords, and put pressure on England from the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here