Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking of getting a DOG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course while very rarely a dog might attack a child but more often you get a large dog like mine that actually protects kids, mind you they never get a mention do they ?

Protect them from WHAT, exactly?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Get a Tortoise. Its low cost, sleeps for half the year, eats left overs and given your intellectual "prowess" simster its probably your spirit animal.:kiss:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Here's a tip. You can't have a dog and a life. You have to make a choice. I made the wrong choice. Now I have to wait another 12 years before I get my life back, and by then I'll be too old to enjoy it. Instead, I urge yo to buy a photo of a dog. That way, you can put in in a drawer when you've finished with it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Protect them from WHAT, exactly?

From strangers. When I was about five my parents had a big black lab that was find with people it knew but if anybody it didn't know tried to pick me up the dog would hurl itself at them and knock them flying. The one I have now is good with my relatives' kids in the same way.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
So what exactly does that mean? I guess you need to meet someone who loves you to have children which is why you're stuck with dogs. Or am I missing something?

I think you're missing the point. There are many men, and several women, who would never want to have a child with someone, however much they loved that person. There are a lot of people who don't like children; wish them no harm but would rather have nothing to do with them: and what's wrong with that? However, those people may well take great pleasure from the company of dogs. In this overpopulated world, the more people who take in a rescue dog rather than breeding more humans the better.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
From strangers. When I was about five my parents had a big black lab that was find with people it knew but if anybody it didn't know tried to pick me up the dog would hurl itself at them and knock them flying. The one I have now is good with my relatives' kids in the same way.

Were you ever dropped by any of these strangers when the dog charged because that would explain certain things ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Here's a tip. You can't have a dog and a life. You have to make a choice. I made the wrong choice. Now I have to wait another 12 years before I get my life back, and by then I'll be too old to enjoy it. Instead, I urge yo to buy a photo of a dog. That way, you can put in in a drawer when you've finished with it.

That's so very true. Got a clingy spaniel 6 years ago and I've done bugger all since.

:down:

Stumpy Tim

I think you're missing the point. There are many men, and several women, who would never want to have a child with someone, however much they loved that person. There are a lot of people who don't like children; wish them no harm but would rather have nothing to do with them: and what's wrong with that? However, those people may well take great pleasure from the company of dogs. In this overpopulated world, the more people who take in a rescue dog rather than breeding more humans the better.

To be fair, I wrote that when I was battered so it doesn't count.

Lush

Mods' Pet

I always think owning a dog would be like having some attractive, but stupid bloke around the house demanding constant praise and attention or that you take them out to nice places.

And you have to buy and be back home to prepare all their dinners.

Personally I don't need the dumb adoration you get in return that much.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Lush has hit the nail on the head here. Cherry hogs are utterly unnecessary, expensive and inconvenient accessories in this thing called life. If you want some thick lump of gristle on legs take a leaf out of Jordan's book and get a washed up cage fighter instead.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Were you ever dropped by any of these strangers when the dog charged because that would explain certain things ?

Never hod the opportunity but you obviously speak from experience.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I always think owning a dog would be like having some attractive, but stupid bloke around the house demanding constant praise and attention or that you take them out to nice places.

And you have to buy and be back home to prepare all their dinners.

Personally I don't need the dumb adoration you get in return that much.

Sounds like you'd be happy with a bitch.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
you could of coarse foster a dog for the NCDL that way when its back to health you can give it back and choose when you want to do it again.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
you could of coarse foster a dog for the NCDL that way when its back to health you can give it back and choose when you want to do it again.

That's a dog lovers only idea, not for many here. It's a matter of personal opinion as to whether you have any pet but not a need to criticism one way or the other. Personally whilst I don't mind kids I don't feel that I've missed out in any way for not having them. I can live without a dog but am also very happy with one. I know whatever time I get home at least somebody is pleased to see me and she's a lot cheaper than a child as well.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's a dog lovers only idea, not for many here. It's a matter of personal opinion as to whether you have any pet but not a need to criticism one way or the other. Personally whilst I don't mind kids I don't feel that I've missed out in any way for not having them. I can live without a dog but am also very happy with one. I know whatever time I get home at least somebody is pleased to see me and she's a lot cheaper than a child as well.
we have 5 cats and they are what we have made them,selfish,fussy,and all the other things, bad things about cats but they are here and as you say thats it.
on you second to last sentence I worked with a gut who had to take home a cooked sausage and poke it through the letterbox otherwise his Labrador who not let him in.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
we have 5 cats and they are what we have made them,selfish,fussy,and all the other things, bad things about cats but they are here and as you say thats it.
on you second to last sentence I worked with a gut who had to take home a cooked sausage and poke it through the letterbox otherwise his Labrador who not let him in.

Well we have a cat too, he's a lethal weapon with rodents but loves people and the dog. As far the person you were talking about he's a bad owner and frankly should never have had a dog, it's people like him that give dog owners a bad name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here