Thinking Of Commuting To London Tomorrow ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
delay repay snipper is a good website. Sends you a mail of all trains delayed so you can claim

and yeah , great start Southern

http://www.delayrepaysniper.com/

Interesting site I will look at that closer. Surely though, if anyone is using that information to claim against a train that they didn't attempt to take, that is some sort of fraud - I've wondered that for a while, not that I think anyone can really prove anything, so I doubt any action would be taken.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Interesting site I will look at that closer. Surely though, if anyone is using that information to claim against a train that they didn't attempt to take, that is some sort of fraud - I've wondered that for a while, not that I think anyone can really prove anything, so I doubt any action would be taken.

probably is.

Think as long as ou claim for similar journey / times each time then its all fair game.

When you pay nearly 4k for a season ticket then the little victorys of 100ish a month back in claims make being f ked about by southern a bit more acceptable

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The rail company would have a record of when your ticket went through the automatic barrier surely? It can't be 100% accurate but if you went through the barrier at 5 pm, say, a claim for the 20.06 would be a bit iffy

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
probably is.

Think as long as ou claim for similar journey / times each time then its all fair game.

When you pay nearly 4k for a season ticket then the little victorys of 100ish a month back in claims make being f ked about by southern a bit more acceptable

Oh, I agree, I get back as much as I can. Having done this for 25 years now and the service worse now that it's ever been, I get mightily p*ssed off with the service.

It may be just me though, but it's not right if people are claiming for trains that they were never on or never intended to get, but I do know people are doing this. I did hear someone boasting the other day that they had put a claim in for every trip, morning and evening that week, even though all his trains had been on time, because he had info like on that website. Technically, I presume the ticket barriers can read all the details of a ticket, so it only needs someone to be claiming for a late journey at Brighton, when their ticket is used in a barrier at London Bridge at the same time, and Southern could take action if they chose.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The rail company would have a record of when your ticket went through the automatic barrier surely? It can't be 100% accurate but if you went through the barrier at 5 pm, say, a claim for the 20.06 would be a bit iffy

Show it to the guard.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

You would be surprised how many people think that and end up getting caught out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'd say Southern is also "some sort of fraud" Fight fire with fire I say.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was pleasantly surprised this morning, the 07.32 only left about 3 minutes late and we pulled into London Bridge about 12 minutes late which happens on most days anyway. No doubt the shambles will resume tomorrow when there is a bit of DRIZZLE.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I was pleasantly surprised this morning, the 07.32 only left about 3 minutes late and we pulled into London Bridge about 12 minutes late which happens on most days anyway. No doubt the shambles will resume tomorrow when there is a bit of DRIZZLE.

12 minutes late is the new "on time"

They rarely apologise for this now

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You would be surprised how many people think that and end up getting caught out.
This. The impression I get is that Southern spend far more on "revenue protection", now that record numbers are using the trains (because they have no realistic alternative) than actually improving their disgusting service levels.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
12 minutes late is the new "on time"

They rarely apologise for this now

Indeed, there was no apology of any sort. In fact the guard made an announcement at 07.34 saying "this is the London Bridge service which will be departing at 07.32" :facepalm:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Indeed, there was no apology of any sort. In fact the guard made an announcement at 07.34 saying "this is the London Bridge service which will be departing at 07.32" :facepalm:

Loved paying my 15% extra this morning only to be told my connecting train had been cancelled and the next one would be an hour. Ended up walking to work.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This. The impression I get is that Southern spend far more on "revenue protection", now that record numbers are using the trains (because they have no realistic alternative) than actually improving their disgusting service levels.

The delay repay fraud is not revenue protection simply stopping a crime, same as when people think about other season ticket fraud. When they get called into a recordable interview under caution all of a sudden it is not such a good idea especially when they have their season ticket confiscated costing them thousands of pounds.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The delay repay fraud is not revenue protection simply stopping a crime, same as when people think about other season ticket fraud. When they get called into a recordable interview under caution all of a sudden it is not such a good idea especially when they have their season ticket confiscated costing them thousands of pounds.

I bet these "recordable interviews" run bang on time?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You might be right but I think it's a fine line. The service is totally unacceptable as things stand, but the terms required to permit refunds often seem frustratingly out of reach:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/dec/18/how-claim-train-delayed
"As a general rule, companies will refund 50% of your ticket for a delay of 30 minutes or more, and will double that if the delay is for an hour or longer."

So that means if my train is persistently 20 mins late, I'll get bugger all. How is that reasonable? It isn't is it? So some people probably feel encouraged and justified to bend these rules.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You might be right but I think it's a fine line. The service is totally unacceptable as things stand, but the terms required to permit refunds often seem frustratingly out of reach:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/dec/18/how-claim-train-delayed
"As a general rule, companies will refund 50% of your ticket for a delay of 30 minutes or more, and will double that if the delay is for an hour or longer."

So that means if my train is persistently 20 mins late, I'll get bugger all. How is that reasonable? It isn't is it? So some people probably feel encouraged and justified to bend these rules.

This is what I always think, the combined lateness of my trains over a 5 day week could be 4+ hours but if none of the delays are over 30 minutes then I'm not entitled to claim a penny back. This is why I feel no guilt claiming against a delayed train even if I managed to find an alternative which wasn't so late (usually involving a change or two).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is what I always think, the combined lateness of my trains over a 5 day week could be 4+ hours but if none of the delays are over 30 minutes then I'm not entitled to claim a penny back. This is why I feel no guilt claiming against a delayed train even if I managed to find an alternative which wasn't so late (usually involving a change or two).

The delay repay rules are to protect the operator not the customer.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25576100

Oops!

Thameslink train hits roof at London's Blackfriars Station

_72039018_72039017.jpg
The train's pantograph hit the roof of Blackfriars Station

A railway company has launched an investigation after part of a train hit the roof of London's Blackfriars station.
It is not yet known how the carriage's pantograph - which connects the train to the overhead lines - came to hit the roof of the central London station.
The First Capital Connect Thameslink service was travelling southbound when the crash happened at about 09.55 GMT.
No-one was injured and the train has since been moved.
Passengers were able to use their tickets on London Underground services to continue their journey.
The firm said there were delays of up to 45 minutes on the line as a result of the crash.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25576100

Oops!

Thameslink train hits roof at London's Blackfriars Station

_72039018_72039017.jpg
The train's pantograph hit the roof of Blackfriars Station

A railway company has launched an investigation after part of a train hit the roof of London's Blackfriars station.
It is not yet known how the carriage's pantograph - which connects the train to the overhead lines - came to hit the roof of the central London station.
The First Capital Connect Thameslink service was travelling southbound when the crash happened at about 09.55 GMT.
No-one was injured and the train has since been moved.
Passengers were able to use their tickets on London Underground services to continue their journey.
The firm said there were delays of up to 45 minutes on the line as a result of the crash.

I wonder when First Capital Connect customers are going to be charged extra to pay for the repairs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports