Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh and cricketers not wearing helmets..
A test match series between the West Indies and England meaning England being absolutely spanked in every match, and in every format. Even when the Windies did need to bat down to number 11, their batsman (well, Malcolm Marshall a quick bowler) would walk out with a broken arm and no helmet as you say, and score more runs in 5 minutes than an England opener would manage in half an hour (if he lasted that long).

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
The very notion of 960 small coins to make a GBP.

Come to think of it - tables! £sd; Feet, inches, yards, chains and furlongs; tons, cwts, stones, lbs and ozs; pints, quarts and gallons - today's kids just couldn't take it!!

Anybody remember to what is 63,360 the answer?

Inches in a mile 5280 x 12. No I didn't Google it

Also Acres Roods and Perches

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Inches in a mile 5280 x 12. No I didn't Google it.

Neither did I! Ingrained in the old memory - when I finally lose all my marbles to senile dementia that'll probaby be one of the last things I'll remember!

Can even rember the definition of a rod, pole or perch - but cannot ever remember using that measurement for anything, or anyone else ever using it/them for that matter!

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
J, So did I . . Ian lived down there when I first met him. must have been our first year at Buckingham. Garrick was a pain in the arse.

Ian was Glebelands Close and Garrick was Williams Road. Did you know that Garrick is dead now died 15/20 years ago and yes he was a pain in the arse.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Fights at school where a mass of children would form a circle around the two kids fighting chanting "bundle,bundle!"...and all you got was a clip round the ear from the teacher breaking it up and if you were really unlucky, detention.
Also going off in gangs to fight with kids from rival local schools, I remember myself and a bunch of mates riding from Durrington High to go for a punch up with West Tarring...Happy days! Ironically I became very good mates with some of the guys we used to fight.

Lol we also did this at Kings Manor school ( upper).

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Neither did I! Ingrained in the old memory - when I finally lose all my marbles to senile dementia that'll probaby be one of the last things I'll remember!

Can even rember the definition of a rod, pole or perch - but cannot ever remember using that measurement for anything, or anyone else ever using it/them for that matter!

Not on your list, but chains are still used to locate existing structures on the railway.

This leads to horribly confusing situations where a bridge (for example) is located in chains and yards from the start of the line, and simultaneously in metres from the start of the area covered by the project. The latter is the "project chainage", despite being measured in metres.

:mad:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Back in 19 dickity six. You'd get five bees for a nickel.

I'm going to go with ladettes and 90's culture I adored. Bands like Sleeper, Game On on the telly (Sam Janus was my first crush - Mandy "Shagger" Wilkins) and Euro 96 with the whole country behind us. Oasis tearing up the charts, Spice Girls on The Big Breakfast while Denise Van Outen made poorly disguised knob gags.

Oh, and Gamesmaster. With even more knob jokes.

"Tea, Martin...in the hand"

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not on your list, but chains are still used to locate existing structures on the railway.

This leads to horribly confusing situations where a bridge (for example) is located in chains and yards from the start of the line, and simultaneously in metres from the start of the area covered by the project. The latter is the "project chainage", despite being measured in metres.

A chain is, of course, the length of a cricket pitch

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, knew about chains - and metres of course - but mixing the two - wow! :facepalm:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
diving behind the sofa when dr.who came on , saturday evening , 6 ish , john pertwee was the man .....i had a real problem with daleks..:lolol: would have been 4 or 5 i guess.

ah yes,me and my 4 brothers would fight to check the sofa for coins after the old man had been on the sauce and slept on it

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Yes, knew about chains - and metres of course - but mixing the two - wow! :facepalm:

My favourite is still the database of bridge heights I once had to look at (for "reasons"), which had been filled in over a few years by different people in a completely ad hoc way.

In context, it was impossible to tell whether an entry that read "5.5" meant 5.5m, 5.5yds, 5.5', or 5'5".

In answer to your post further down, cricket pitches are still in imperial. I think every other country around the world quote bowlers speeds in kph rather than mph now though.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Not sure many would understand the enjoyment gained from a text based football forum that talks a lot about things nothing to do with football and has zero in common with snapchat/tiktok whatever else kids use

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lol we also did this at Kings Manor school ( upper).

We did that @ Buckingham vs St Nichs! Harder to do at Steyning Grammar as it was at least 6 miles from the nearest school, apart from Towers . . . And you didn't sniff around there to fight.

Minor aside . . . I'm sure the H family moved from Stoney to Glebelands around the time we were 8 . . I was still at Victoria rd when I met him ( I think) . . Back on topic . . . I still have my madness records . . . . So somoething kids don't get . . . . . Putting a sticker, or writing your name on your records because you were taking it to a mates house

Baggy trousers and my girl still have a little sticker on with my name and our old phone number on them! That was from Ians 10th B'day party, at Glebelands

Last edited:

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
We did that @ Buckingham vs St Nichs! Harder to do at Steyning Grammar as it was at least 6 miles from the nearest school, apart from Towers . . . And you didn't sniff around there to fight.

Minor aside . . . I'm sure the H family moved from Stoney to Glebelands around the time we were 8 . . I was still at Victoria rd when I met him ( I think) . . Back on topic . . . I still have my madness records . . . . So somoething kids don't get . . . . . Putting a sticker, or writing your name on your records because you were taking it to a mates house

Baggy trousers and my girl still have a little sticker on with my name and our old phone number on them! That was from Ians 10th B'day party, at Glebelands

Shit i forgot about St Nichs lol. Ian didn't go to Victoria we met him at Buckingham not sure if he lived in Stoney lane before i met him. His old man got a German Shephard when we went to Kings Manor and he used to let the dog lose and we would shit ourselves, well you would when your 13 and it would attack us lol.

You lucky bugger i lost all my 7" singles somewhere through moving but still have all my 12" and albums.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here