Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Things your kids would NEVER understand...

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Fights at school where a mass of children would form a circle around the two kids fighting chanting "bundle,bundle!"...and all you got was a clip round the ear from the teacher breaking it up and if you were really unlucky, detention.
Also going off in gangs to fight with kids from rival local schools, I remember myself and a bunch of mates riding from Durrington High to go for a punch up with West Tarring...Happy days! Ironically I became very good mates with some of the guys we used to fight.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Progressing from a Chopper or a Grifter to a racer.

Having to get the TV Times at Christmas and then seeing your parents had marked everything you were going to watch for the next 2 weeks.

Using Kay’s Catalogue underwear section as an alternative wankbank when someone stole your Razzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now the "Racer" was another bone of contention..whether you had a five gear racer, 10 gear racer or were really elite with a 12 gear racer!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I'm convalescing and have just discovered this thread and had a very enjoyable morning in a cool room so far. Just about everything resonates with me, having grown up in Brighton in the 1950s and 1960s. The whole thread should be donated to the My Brighton and Hove website or The Keep down at Falmer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Now the "Racer" was another bone of contention..whether you had a five gear racer, 10 gear racer or were really elite with a 12 gear racer!

My first was a Puch pathfinder, 3 gear sturmey archer when I was 11! Peugeot Premiere 10 speed @ 14 from John Spooner in Worthing. cracking bike, still have a peugeot road bike. 12 gears is more than enough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One year paper passports with husband, wife and kids all on the same one.

Dansette record players with a stack of 6 7'' records which fell in turn to be played. Changing the stylus when it got blunt.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
From the 1960's before we got that new fangled Central Heating...

Waking up in a stone cold room, pulling back the curtains and looking at Jack Frost on the inside of the Window.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Waiting for the telly to warm up when you switched it on, I remember looking down the back to see the orange glow at the back of the tube, so frustrating when Scooby doo had already started and you were missing precious minutes of it! My parents would also insist on pulling the ariel out of the back and unplugging it at the first rumble of a thunderstorm.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I'm convalescing and have just discovered this thread and had a very enjoyable morning in a cool room so far. Just about everything resonates with me, having grown up in Brighton in the 1950s and 1960s. The whole thread should be donated to the My Brighton and Hove website or The Keep down at Falmer.

I wish you well sir.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Fights at school where a mass of children would form a circle around the two kids fighting chanting "bundle,bundle!"...and all you got was a clip round the ear from the teacher breaking it up and if you were really unlucky, detention.
Also going off in gangs to fight with kids from rival local schools, I remember myself and a bunch of mates riding from Durrington High to go for a punch up with West Tarring...Happy days! Ironically I became very good mates with some of the guys we used to fight.

Tideway v Longhill up Telscombe Tye

when Longhill would turn up :whistle: :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was born and brought up in Scotland. My kids were born and brought up in Sussex. They never ever got to grips with the term "going for the messages". And why would they? It's a mystery even to me who said it, has to be said. It means "I'm going to local shops to buy basic foodstuffs"

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
From the 1960's before we got that new fangled Central Heating...

Waking up in a stone cold room, pulling back the curtains and looking at Jack Frost on the inside of the Window.

Was he your neighbour ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Even after decimalisation, seeing prices marked up to the half penny.

Having half penny coins to pay for those items.

Using half penny coins to play "up the wall" when you were really skint.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
diving behind the sofa when dr.who came on , saturday evening , 6 ish , john pertwee was the man .....i had a real problem with daleks..:lolol: would have been 4 or 5 i guess.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Shops closing every Wednesday afternoon. Or Saturday afternoon, depending on the town. And all day Sunday.

Thursday afternoon if you lived in Chichester

SO its just the posh towns that have early closing THursday? , all the plebby places on a Wednesday :blush:

I'm not sure. Portslade closed early on Wednesday......................but so did Hove :lolol:

Cyprus still closes early on Wednesdays!

I remember shops closing Wednesday afternoon (in Eastbourne), but didn't know the reasons behind it. A little bit more info on the history here - Remember when shops used to have a half-day closing?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember shops closing Wednesday afternoon (in Eastbourne), but didn't know the reasons behind it. A little bit more info on the history here - Remember when shops used to have a half-day closing?

Well I remember the nuisance of early closing day! I seem to remember the information was included in publications like Bradshaw and The ABC Railway travel information), and the YHA handbook. I'd have thought the practice had ended long before 1994 - but I suppose the sale of fresh produce and medical supplies exempted the suermarkets anyway, so they just kept right on flogging and we didn't notice if some of the smaller shops were shut.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
"Screw-in Studs?" Yep, and the more gawdy the studs were, the better!
Buying a replica kit was impossible.. literally impossible (until Bukta BHA kit arrived! )
A season ticket with loads of tear-out tickets and included Cup games!!
GK picking up a pass-back and then bouncing it down to the edge of the area..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here