Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things that the UK actually does rather well

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are world leaders at gaslighting our own electorate...incredible how we are all encouraged to believe that any Labour government would be a catastrophe for the nation, while, we endure an continuing and ongoing destruction of our institutions, health service, standard of living and civil rights...brought to us by our Tory government !

This thread is a little annoying that it has got negative. I think we don’t realise how lucky we are.

Despite our problems, we are overall a bloody brilliant country. You can be free to do anything you want within the law, setting up your own business is easy, we have a good benefits system for the poorest, although admittedly that does need changing, we have free healthcare from some of the best minds in the world , admittedly its in a bit of shit atm, but that’s due to underfunding and mismanagement. We have excellent foreign policy, we are great for cultire, history, arts. Sport is a HUGE fabric in our society, we can vote for who we want, it’s a beautiful place to live and our food is fantastic. We have a military to be proud of and we are one if the biggest charity raisers globally! Pub culture etc

We also admit, after some time it has to be said, when we have made mistakes and look to rectify them.

I could go on, as much as I find it a bit depressing sometimes here due to those in charge, I do realise how lucky I am most of the time. We are the envy of some quarter’s around the globe.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
This thread is a little annoying that it has got negative. I think we don’t realise how lucky we are.

Despite our problems, we are overall a bloody brilliant country. You can be free to do anything you want within the law, setting up your own business is easy, we have a good benefits system for the poorest, although admittedly that does need changing, we have free healthcare from some of the best minds in the world , admittedly its in a bit of shit atm, but that’s due to underfunding and mismanagement. We have excellent foreign policy, we are great for cultire, history, arts. Sport is a HUGE fabric in our society, we can vote for who we want, it’s a beautiful place to live and our food is fantastic. We have a military to be proud of and we are one if the biggest charity raisers globally! Pub culture etc

We also admit, after some time it has to be said, when we have made mistakes and look to rectify them.

I could go on, as much as I find it a bit depressing sometimes here due to those in charge, I do realise how lucky I am most of the time. We are the envy of some quarter’s around the globe.
You should start a “what are you grateful for” thread if you want that sort of thing :)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In general, our people. (There are always exceptions, but I still see good people out there working on behalf of others)

Where it still exists, our sense of community. (there’s a lot of places where nobody even knows their next door neighbours, but in the places with the greatest need community still exists)

We do (despite lots of international snobbery) have some incredible food and drink.

Historically we have had incredible “soft” power through music, film and art. We are greatly diminished in this regard, but we have allowed brilliance to flourish before, and I hope we will do so again.

Science, engineering and technology, we have the capability, we are just pathologically incapable of nurturing it into successful world-leading firms without them being wholly purchased by other nations. I do wish we would have a bit of pride in those businesses that do well for Britain, and adopt a model whereby the state held a significant share in our success stories. Nonetheless, the talent is here, sadly often untapped until it moves abroad.

Lots to be proud of in our country, despite monumental governmental mismanagement.
That's quite a decent list for starters.

For me, it's music, literature, film and TV, Comedy, sport and sporting events, Science - especially on the medical side, R&D in general, pubs, food,(how good are we compared to 30 years ago!) parks and gardens (NT and English Heritage etc.) and a nationwide army of volunteers who put others first.

Sure, we've got a s**t Govt. at the moment, but things will improve and having travelled extensively, there's nowhere else I would rather live, long-term anyway.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Aren’t we one of the leading countries when it comes to animal welfare? Might sound like an odd claim given the conditions in factory farms and some well published cruelty cases, but I think by and large the UK is ahead of many if not most countries when it comes to how we treat animals. Still much more work to be done though.

How do you feel about your treatment, Monkey Man?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
5Ways Gull said: Prime minister turnover

Not as bad as Speaker of the House turnover at the moment. After meeting with his fellow Republicans, the leader in Speaker of the House voting, Steve Scalise, is bowing out of the Speaker of the House race. It looks like the US House of Representatives will be leaderless for quite sometime at the moment. A RATHER perplexing situation.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
You say that but once again I’ve flounced and it’s always in the same shop, that Post Office in Telscombe Cliffs. There’s two queues, one for the shop one for the post office, however usually only one member of staff. The blatant favouritism towards the regulars in the shop queue I can live with. “Hello Sue, your usual? Sixty B&H and fifteen scratch cards?” but the woman in front of me in the PO queue insisting the cashier serves the shop queue as she’s “got quite a lot”
Yes that’s very nice of her but what about the others behind her. I don’t want to ‘give way’ I want to get served in turn.
Once again I stormed out grumbling to my self under my breath.

Thanks for listening

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apologies if I've missed it but our network of footpaths and bridleways is worthy of mention. Our right to roam freely is something that seems to stagger Americans.

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the BBC - it's knocked a lot here but you'd be surprised how much it's appreciated away from these shores.

Theatres - virtually every town seems to have some sort of theatre it. There are countless open-air Shakespeare tours in the summer and, of course, pantomime is a very British thing.

Something personal to me, particularly having come back from France, is the amount of vegetarian food available. I know people have mentioned food but veggies are brilliantly catered for here. We're far, far ahead of any other European country.

And while plugs have been mentioned, it's worth emphasising how safe UK electricity supply is -outstanding design.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Apologies if I've missed it but our network of footpaths and bridleways is worthy of mention. Our right to roam freely is something that seems to stagger Americans.

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the BBC - it's knocked a lot here but you'd be surprised how much it's appreciated away from these shores.

Theatres - virtually every town seems to have some sort of theatre it. There are countless open-air Shakespeare tours in the summer and, of course, pantomime is a very British thing.

Something personal to me, particularly having come back from France, is the amount of vegetarian food available. I know people have mentioned food but veggies are brilliantly catered for here. We're far, far ahead of any other European country.

And while plugs have been mentioned, it's worth emphasising how safe UK electricity supply is -outstanding design.
This. BBC! Shit, forgot to mention that haha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here