Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things that the UK actually does rather well

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Not dying from dangerous animals... as we have none (apart from Dogs of course).

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It's mad people mentioning corruption. The UK is one of the least corrupt countries in the world. Always remember a conversation I had with a Lebanese friend during Covid. I was moaning about Boris and he was laughing at me and said "In my country a warehouse exploded because the government stored enormous amounts of explosives with no safety measures. It permanently disabled thousands of people, who are now homeless and unable to do anything for themselves and the government never paid a penny in compensation, and you lot are all up in arms because your PM had a birthday party- you have no idea how bloody lucky you are".
Agreed. I was living outside the UK through that whole 'Partygate' period and people kept asking me what it was all about. They were incredulous — not at the shocking allegations of the Downing St press office sneaking in bottles of wine but at the way it dominated headlines for months on end. It made us look even madder than usual.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It's mad people mentioning corruption. The UK is one of the least corrupt countries in the world. Always remember a conversation I had with a Lebanese friend during Covid. I was moaning about Boris and he was laughing at me and said "In my country a warehouse exploded because the government stored enormous amounts of explosives with no safety measures. It permanently disabled thousands of people, who are now homeless and unable to do anything for themselves and the government never paid a penny in compensation, and you lot are all up in arms because your PM had a birthday party- you have no idea how bloody lucky you are".

The thread title is Things that the UK actually does rather well.
Under our present administration we are doing corruption rather well. From PPE failures, to the whole Covid parties in Government, and now it appears, amongst the Tory party hierarchy in general, to Liz the Lettuce mini budget that tanked the economy, to Jenricks Isle off Dogs planning fiasco, Johnson’s whole host of accusations, too many to go into here, Owen Patterson, Steve Brine, Pritti Patel and her Israeli holiday conversations, dirty Russian money propping up Party finances, Rishi Sunaks wife’s non dom, status and various business interests that have been aided by Government loans/grants,and I haven’t even mentioned the numerous bullying, and sexual misconduct accusations.

The fact of the matter is, under any other administrations in our Parliamentary history, all of these would be resignation or sacking matters, now, they don’t even get embarrassed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Perhaps this friend of yours should try saying this to the people who couldn't be with their dying loved ones because they were following the rules put in place by our rule breaking, party loving former PM.

What happened in Lebanon and how their Government have acted since is clearly abhorrent but that doesn't diminish the impact of decisions and actions our Government has taken.
I think his point was that in places like Lebanon, or indeed in a huge amount of other parts of the world, people would just accept Politicians doing this kind of stuff and seeing themselves as above the law, and see it as a fairly trivial matter. Where as we don't here.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think his point was that in places like Lebanon, or indeed in a huge amount of other parts of the world, people would just accept Politicians doing this kind of stuff and seeing themselves as above the law, and see it as a fairly trivial matter. Where as we don't here.
Oh interesting, didn't consider it from that angle!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
When it comes to flushing the country's economic future down the toilet, we are world leaders. I still await a single benefit bought to us by Brexit. No other country flaunts their ignorance on and off the world stage as well as the Brits do.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
MPs saving the tax payer money by booking a twin room for themselves and an advisor whilst abroad on foreign trips.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Acting like we are a major country and a force in the world, but we are so far behind most countries in a lot of things. Being smug we are very good at.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not winning anything of any consequence
Football world cup (men) and Euros (women)
Many, many European Cups / Champions Leagues
Rugby world cup
Cricket world cups (both T20 and 50OV)
Boxing world champions in all weight divisions
Wimbledon and US Open titles
All 4 golf majors
Olympic golds in quantities way, way above the norm
Multiple Tour de France winners
Multiple track cycling world champions
Multiple swimming world champions
Multiple Formula One world champions - plus a massive UK dominance on the engineering side of F1

:shrug:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Football world cup (men) and Euros (women)
Many, many European Cups / Champions Leagues
Rugby world cup
Cricket world cups (both T20 and 50OV)
Boxing world champions in all weight divisions
Wimbledon and US Open titles
All 4 golf majors
Olympic golds in quantities way, way above the norm
Multiple Tour de France winners
Multiple track cycling world champions
Multiple swimming world champions
Multiple Formula One world champions - plus a massive UK dominance on the engineering side of F1

:shrug:
Yeah but we've never won a World Series.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022

The argument against your POV is that this makes us relaxed and complacent about corruption, which allows smaller amounts of corruption to leak in and become normalised.

This (further down the line) will enable larger corrupt acts to be committed and yet played down with similar statements of “yeah, but we’re not as bad as <country x>” which will then in turn allow an additional layer of acceptance of corruption.

Not allowing corruption in relies upon all of us maintaining a high level of vigilance and insisting on transparency and accountability in our government and public officials. (Even when they’re ‘our’ tribe)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here