Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things I've heard Paul Barber blamed for this week

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's the important point which seems get lost lots of times.

Describing someone as black of fat or whatever is not, in itself, wrong, it depends - or should depend - totally on context.

If I describe Lua Lua as a black George Best is that racist? Of course not. If anything it's a compliment, depending on your view of George Best.

If someone described me as being like a white Pelé I'd be very pleased, if a little suprised.

But if I describe Lua Lua as a black waste of space or worse then it is wrong. Or at least unacceptable to most people.

It doesn't actually make any sense, because the player being described may or may not be a waste of space or worse, but he is black. But I understand why most people would find this unacceptable - including me.

I have been described as a fat talentless Pele...........apparently Pele thought this is unacceptable and insulting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can't remember the name of that Beach Boys song I blame ??????? Ann

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just before I got in the lift to the 1901 Profile Lounge, the pull out christmas gift catalogue FELL OUT of my award winning million-page top quality programme and I had to bend down like a poor person and pick it up.

BARBER YOU ARE SCREWING THIS CLUB!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why do you not call some by the colour of their skin or their disability. I think you know what will happen if he was black and you referred to him by the colour of his skin. Why do people feel the need to refer to people about the things that stick out. My daughter wears glasses, so does she have to except people calling her four eyes, just because she wears glasses.

I do. I would say 'Who's the black lad up front?', for example. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. No different to saying 'Who's the big lad up front?'. The only people who would be offended by that are idiotic middle class white people who love to try and be offended on someone else's behalf. The difference is if I said "Who's the black **** up front", which is then clearly racist. Calling someone 'four eyes' is mocking someone for having an affliction (I used to be a speccy myself, get her eyes lasered, it's amazing!) Calling someone 'black' is not. The idea that saying "Who's the black lad up front"' is a racist statement is a racist point of view in itself, because you are taking the word 'black' to be an insult, when it isn't.

I don't see a problem with calling someone 'fat', if they are fat. It is not an affliction, it is not something that is out of their control like being gay, black, straight, whatever. It's down to eating too much and not doing enough exercise, with the exception of a very, very small minority of medical cases. I'm 6ft 3 and weigh 17 stone, if I walked into my office and people said "Morning fatty" or shouted "Hey fatso" at me in the street, then I might bother to do something about it. Being fat should have a stigma attached to it, it's unhealthy and it's unnecessary.

Maybe you should think about applying for a steward . The point is that in your comments about the steward you refer to him as fat. By that attitude it shows you have little respect and therefore why should you be able to expect respect from the stewards. If in your job that you think you might be able to get away with calling someone fat says more about you and your attitude towards people. Can I ask if he was black and fat would you put the 2 words in a sentence together and shout it out the next match and see where that gets you. Maybe the people evicted made comments about his weight when he spoke to them, and that's why they were removed.

Why would I want to apply to be a steward? I don't have a great deal of respect for the stewards, not because they are stewards or because some of them are fat, but because I don't think they generally do a very good job. Obviously this is a generalisation, as there are some good ones, as I explained in an earlier post on the other thread. Also, you do realise I haven't ever actually called this steward any kind of names in the ground at all? Or any other stewards for that matter. If I were to do that then I'd expect to be ejected. There is no need to abuse the stewards for no reason. If he came and threw me out of the ground for something I perceived to be acceptable behaviour, then yes I probably would call him a fat twat or something, as I imagine most people would if they felt they were being treated completely unfairly.

Your comment about "maybe the people evicted made comments about his weight" is complete conjecture, so it's not really worth talking about.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Why do you not call some by the colour of their skin or their disability. I think you know what will happen if he was black and you referred to him by the colour of his skin. Why do people feel the need to refer to people about the things that stick out. My daughter wears glasses, so does she have to except people calling her four eyes, just because she wears glasses.

Four eyes is derogatory, 'the girl in the glasses' is not, nor is the black person, the white male, the female with the crutches, the boy with the black hair, the Englishman, the lady in the red dress. They are visual descriptors, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a visual descriptor when differentiated someone from someone else. Are you suggesting we can't describe someone who is wearing a suit as 'the person in the suit'?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Four eyes is derogatory, 'the girl in the glasses' is not, nor is the black person, the white male, the female with the crutches, the boy with the black hair, the Englishman, the lady in the red dress. They are visual descriptors, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a visual descriptor when differentiated someone from someone else. Are you suggesting we can't describe someone who is wearing a suit as 'the person in the suit'?

If you want to make a comment that is fine here below is what I took issue with the Commander for

Quote ""Some of the stewards are OK and actually have some people skills, and some of them (the fat slob with no neck) are complete idiots on a power trip."

If that ok to talk about someone like that, then do not be surprised if you get thrown out of the ground.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I do. I would say 'Who's the black lad up front?', for example. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. No different to saying 'Who's the big lad up front?'. The only people who would be offended by that are idiotic middle class white people who love to try and be offended on someone else's behalf. The difference is if I said "Who's the black **** up front", which is then clearly racist. Calling someone 'four eyes' is mocking someone for having an affliction (I used to be a speccy myself, get her eyes lasered, it's amazing!) Calling someone 'black' is not. The idea that saying "Who's the black lad up front"' is a racist statement is a racist point of view in itself, because you are taking the word 'black' to be an insult, when it isn't.

I don't see a problem with calling someone 'fat', if they are fat. It is not an affliction, it is not something that is out of their control like being gay, black, straight, whatever. It's down to eating too much and not doing enough exercise, with the exception of a very, very small minority of medical cases. I'm 6ft 3 and weigh 17 stone, if I walked into my office and people said "Morning fatty" or shouted "Hey fatso" at me in the street, then I might bother to do something about it. Being fat should have a stigma attached to it, it's unhealthy and it's unnecessary.

Why would I want to apply to be a steward? I don't have a great deal of respect for the stewards, not because they are stewards or because some of them are fat, but because I don't think they generally do a very good job. Obviously this is a generalisation, as there are some good ones, as I explained in an earlier post on the other thread. Also, you do realise I haven't ever actually called this steward any kind of names in the ground at all? Or any other stewards for that matter. If I were to do that then I'd expect to be ejected. There is no need to abuse the stewards for no reason. If he came and threw me out of the ground for something I perceived to be acceptable behaviour, then yes I probably would call him a fat twat or something, as I imagine most people would if they felt they were being treated completely unfairly.

Your comment about "maybe the people evicted made comments about his weight" is complete conjecture, so it's not really worth talking about.

You used the words Fat slob with no neck. The terminology is everything. Yes is ok to say the fat, black or whatever man in context, however I would say add slob and no neck and you are using it in a derogatory way.

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
f*** all on tv tonight, I'm having to sit through "young apprentice" Barber needs to go :facepalm:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You used the words Fat slob with no neck. The terminology is everything. Yes is ok to say the fat, black or whatever man in context, however I would say add slob and no neck and you are using it in a derogatory way.

Is there a non derogatory way to call someone a fat slob with no neck? Of course I was saying it on a derogatory way!

As for the possibility of getting thrown out of a football ground for using the term 'fat slob with no neck' well, words fail me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As for the possibility of getting thrown out of a football ground for using the term 'fat slob with no neck' well, words fail me.
If they did you wouldn't get thrown out.

Freakin Barber.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Is there a non derogatory way to call someone a fat slob with no neck? Of course I was saying it on a derogatory way!

I am not really bothered what you want to call people, respect is A two way thing. If the stewards come over for a chat with you, and you talk to them like that I don't think it would be a surprise to anyone if you got kicked out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here