Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Deleted because it was nonsense

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Ah, but I am a fat bastard myself, so I am allowed to say it. It's like black people and the N word. And if we're honest, if I said 'the steward with the brown hair', nobody would know who I was talking about.

Not really sure what my job has to do with anything, but if I did it badly then my employers would get rid of me. That's how it should be, so if there are stewards doing their jobs badly then the club should get rid if them and get some people in who will do it well. What's wrong with that?

Was the question difficult, you called the steward, a fat steward. My point about your job was. Would you be able to call someone that in your job and get away with it?.As for the stewards, from what I have read over the last few weeks. Is that some people have received bans from the club for racist behaviour. However this was only possible because fans( not stewards) reported the incidents. Who is to say that fans have not complained via the text service about fans and the stewards have taken action. Unless you were there from the start and heard every word that was said, how can you make a comment about how well or not someone is doing there job. If you want fair treatment from the stewards, I would think its not best to call them fat, even if they are

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Because when you do that, you make judgements. Look at the second part of your statement. He may have a medical condition and not be eating all the pies. Also if you want stewards to respect you, then maybe show them a bit of respect to. You can make yourself heard with a complaint about stewards with out having to be derogatory about them

Can we call tall people tall, or short people short? Can i call a woman a woman? Can i be called a man? Can i say someone is athletically built?

Some statements are just true. No matter how PC you want to be.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i have uncovered evidence Barber is the Grand Imperial Wizard of this mob

westboro_baptist_church.jpg

The pie thieving Westboro Baptist Church

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Was the question difficult, you called the steward, a fat steward. My point about your job was. Would you be able to call someone that in your job and get away with it?.As for the stewards, from what I have read over the last few weeks. Is that some people have received bans from the club for racist behaviour. However this was only possible because fans( not stewards) reported the incidents. Who is to say that fans have not complained via the text service about fans and the stewards have taken action. Unless you were there from the start and heard every word that was said, how can you make a comment about how well or not someone is doing there job. If you want fair treatment from the stewards, I would think its not best to call them fat, even if they are

Yes it was quite difficult, because it was poorly worded and didn't make sense.

And no, I doubt I would be able to call someone fat in my job and get away with it. But what's your point? The stewards aren't doing that, and NSC isn't my job, even though it feels like it sometimes. I don't understand the point you are making. There are plenty of things I can't do in my job that I can do when I'm not at work.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Can we call tall people tall, or short people short? Can i call a woman a woman? Can i be called a man? Can i say someone is athletically built?

Some statements are just true. No matter how PC you want to be.

Why do you not call some by the colour of their skin or their disability. I think you know what will happen if he was black and you referred to him by the colour of his skin. Why do people feel the need to refer to people about the things that stick out. My daughter wears glasses, so does she have to except people calling her four eyes, just because she wears glasses.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Yes it was quite difficult, because it was poorly worded and didn't make sense.

And no, I doubt I would be able to call someone fat in my job and get away with it. But what's your point? The stewards aren't doing that, and NSC isn't my job, even though it feels like it sometimes. I don't understand the point you are making. There are plenty of things I can't do in my job that I can do when I'm not at work.

Maybe you should think about applying for a steward . The point is that in your comments about the steward you refer to him as fat. By that attitude it shows you have little respect and therefore why should you be able to expect respect from the stewards. If in your job that you think you might be able to get away with calling someone fat says more about you and your attitude towards people. Can I ask if he was black and fat would you put the 2 words in a sentence together and shout it out the next match and see where that gets you. Maybe the people evicted made comments about his weight when he spoke to them, and that's why they were removed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why do you not call some by the colour of their skin or their disability. I think you know what will happen if he was black and you referred to him by the colour of his skin. Why do people feel the need to refer to people about the things that stick out. My daughter wears glasses, so does she have to except people calling her four eyes, just because she wears glasses.

Utter bollocks. It is perfectly acceptable to describe someone by their skin colour. No worse than describing someone by their hair colour or height.

And if you're fat and don't like it then eat less and move more. It really is very simple.

During the course of my working day i'll often need to point out a customer to a colleague and if I don't know their name i'll use terms such as 'the black lad', 'the gent in the wheelchair or 'that **** with the palace shirt on" without any fear of comeback. I tend to use 'big' rather than 'fat' although when I'm watching Thomas with the boy, we DO call him The Fat Controller rather than the Morbidly Obese Controller

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Surely it depends if its refered to in a descriptive way or a derogatory way on the colour front? Don't get me wrong, racism in football and any scenario is wholly and completely unacceptable and I am utterly against it, but if you are describing someone's physical appearance and doing it in a purely descriptive and non-offensive manner it shouldn't be a problem?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The revelation that the reason the concourses are always out of pies is down to one fat steward, is quite something. I cannot believe Barber has not addressed this massive problem. Come on Barber sort it out, we cant have this one steward eating all our pies. Barber out.

Surely it depends if its refered to in a descriptive way or a derogatory way on the colour front? Don't get me wrong, racism in football and any scenario is wholly and completely unacceptable and I am utterly against it, but if you are describing someone's physical appearance and doing it in a purely descriptive and non-offensive manner it shouldn't be a problem?

That's the important point which seems get lost lots of times.

Describing someone as black of fat or whatever is not, in itself, wrong, it depends - or should depend - totally on context.

If I describe Lua Lua as a black George Best is that racist? Of course not. If anything it's a compliment, depending on your view of George Best.

If someone described me as being like a white Pelé I'd be very pleased, if a little suprised.

But if I describe Lua Lua as a black waste of space or worse then it is wrong. Or at least unacceptable to most people.

It doesn't actually make any sense, because the player being described may or may not be a waste of space or worse, but he is black. But I understand why most people would find this unacceptable - including me.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
That's the important point which seems get lost lots of times.

Describing someone as black of fat or whatever is not, in itself, wrong, it depends - or should depend - totally on context.

If I describe Lua Lua as a black George Best is that racist? Of course not. If anything it's a compliment, depending on your view of George Best.

If someone described me as being like a white Pelé I'd be very pleased, if a little suprised.

But if I describe Lua Lua as a black waste of space or worse then it is wrong. Or at least unacceptable to most people.

It doesn't actually make any sense, because the player being described may or may not be a waste of space or worse, but he is black. But I understand why most people would find this unacceptable - including me.

The fact this thread has gone off on a complete tangent....... that is Barber's fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here