Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things I like about being British

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
, dislike of the Germans,

Yea me to, I hate the krouts, frogs, Pakistanis and a few other forerunners as well. I like the fact we have butt hurt nutters like Pogue Mahone to laugh at, in other countries they would be locked up, like the ones I mentioned.......:)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Being somewhat of a music snob, I love the music of Elgar and especially Vaughan Williams. Although, every country can boast great composers, I think certainly VW music, the lark ascending, and theme on Thomas Tallis, and of course his variation of the theme of greensleeves are just the epitome of Englishness.

The tv in the UK is great and the countryside just beautiful.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I work with Americans and I have to say British humor... I mean humour too long with them. I can often tell a story from my past or make a not so obvious joke, I only ever see blank expressionless faces in front of me.

On the other hand, it could just be I'm not funny.

Find the Yanks love my sarcasm and wit or else they are laughing in all the right places just to humour me.

Also I love the fact whenever you start talking they presume you're posh, part of the aristocracy and went to school at Hogwarts.

The things I like about England and I miss the most are:

English beer gardens (in the summer) and football on a Saturday.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yea me to, I hate the krouts, frogs, Pakistanis and a few other forerunners as well. I like the fact we have butt hurt nutters like Pogue Mahone to laugh at, in other countries they would be locked up, like the ones I mentioned.......:)

:lolol:

butt hurt nutters...

You really are a complete arse, aren't you, Looney? You seem determined to prove this again and again and again...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I love so many things about our country. The music, the humour, the fact that most situations can be improved by a cup of tea. Self-deprecation too. And we have the best swear words. Flicking Vs as a way of insulting people.

And our flag is just about the coolest looking flag in the world. No doubt about it.

I love flying back over Britain and seeing green fields, old boys that wear a shirt and tie to do gardening, 99 flakes, our complete contempt for pomposity - David Blaine tried to impress us by sitting in a box for a month and us Brits fly burgers on remote control at him.

There's lots more...

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Before troll invasion, just let one thread go without pejorative comments about the negative side of life where we live. I wrote a post a few months ago about why I like the BBC and the best responses were from ex-pats in far away lands. Not creating a magic world, which I know can never exist but I do like it here more than any other country I know. So here goes..

Tolerance beyond any other country. And believe me I have seen the change in 10 years here
Quiet pride without flouting it
Funniest people
Most polite
Easiest language to learn although bow and bough must be difficult
Forgive people who have hurt us
Have the SAS when they just might
Love all sports even when we don't win, but we keep it going, just in case we might. (Ashes, Wimbledon, all change, World Cup not)
Live in a democracy where we can say enough is enough (Syria vote for example)
Best authors, poets, designers and popular music (since 1962).
The countryside.

If you take all that on, or some of it, then would just like your thoughts.

Facts =/= opinion.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Is this bloke for real? Should he not be locked up?

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Tolerance beyond any other country. And believe me I have seen the change in 10 years here (Agree, but there are other very liberal countries where they accept rather than tolerate-Tolerance is a very 'Daily Mail' word)Quiet pride without flouting it (Agree, but there are some who still think we have an empire)Funniest people (Yep)
Most polite (yep)Easiest language to learn although bow and bough must be difficult (Along with Russian it is believed to be the hardest to learn by many academics)Forgive people who have hurt us (Most of us do)
Have the SAS when they just might (There are just as capable elite forces)
Love all sports even when we don't win, but we keep it going, just in case we might. (Ashes, Wimbledon, all change, World Cup not) (Yep-but add Rugby Union, please)
Live in a democracy where we can say enough is enough (Syria vote for example) (We don't say it enough)
Best authors, poets, designers and popular music (since 1962). (Each country will lay its own claim-It's all relative)The countryside. (For sure)

This is how to respond. So well written and thought out. Thank you.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
And to clear up one point. It was to enter a country and be able to speak a language very quickly, not to understand it to a literary/ grammatically correct
level.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
And to clear up one point. It was to enter a country and be able to speak a language very quickly, not to understand it to a literary/ grammatically correct
level.

What do you mean by 'Speak a language very quickly' though? Say things like please and thank you and 'Where's the post office?' Granted, English might have a bit of head start on other languages with greetings and stuff. But learning a language to a conversational level is hard enough. English no exception. I've seen more than enough people fail at that!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
driving over cuckmere haven this morning listening to the radio sussex gardening programme i thought i was going to explode with Englishness. had a quick search through MW looking for 5 live on the radio coming into Seaford, and the only french channel i came across was doing ****ing omelette recipes. I thought - thats all you need to know about this little stretch of water separating us.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Bow and bow is probably confusing enough without throwing in bough.

in fairness none of those are really going to come up in basic English conversations.

Without being parochial, and i am sure some people will disagree perhaps with some misplaced concern over our cultural arrogance, but to be a native English speaker (this doesnt especially relate to being proud to be British, as there are many non Brits in this situation, and the majority of native English speakers being non Brits) is a wonderful, free, and effortless advantage in the modern world. Just a handy quirk of fate for us. Currently. *sends off for Rosetta Stone Mandarin course*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here