Things I like about being British

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
A fine selection of cheese.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The Aussies and Kiwis have a rivalry based on mutual respect - much as we do with the Aussies.

The old harmless banter argument... Too many people in this country genuinely dislike our European neighbours. They think that this is acceptable. You'll notice that I didn't mention racism - we come from the same ancestry, give or take.

I have lived abroad, yes, a year in Italy. I didn't always like the attitude of Italians towards me or other foreigners. Italy is not famously inclusive.

That doesn't mean that this Little Englander attitude is alright. The British abroad who get pissed up and abuse the locals, does that fill you with pride? People like that often have dodgy attitudes like these.

Rubbish. Have you ever been to New Zealand? They don't respect the Aussies at all.

There is a massive difference between harmless banter and xenophobia / racism, the problem is that too many people can't tell the difference.

The Little Englander attitude might not be 'right' (and who the hell are you or I to say what is 'right') but it is human nature and no different to the majority of people on this planet. Most people aren't multiple-cultural international skinny latte sipping world travellers, and it is human nature to take the piss out of, and feel a sense of mistrust, of your foreign neighbours. That's why people have been doing it since time began.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Rubbish. Have you ever been to New Zealand? They don't respect the Aussies at all.

There is a massive difference between harmless banter and xenophobia / racism, the problem is that too many people can't tell the difference.

The Little Englander attitude might not be 'right' (and who the hell are you or I to say what is 'right') but it is human nature and no different to the majority of people on this planet. Most people aren't multiple-cultural international skinny latte sipping world travellers, and it is human nature to take the piss out of, and feel a sense of mistrust, of your foreign neighbours. That's why people have been doing it since time began.

No, never been to New Zealand. But obviously you know best - the New Zealanders can't stand the Aussies. All of them. Thank you for enlightening me.

Yes, harmless banter is very different to xenophobia. You say too many people can't tell the difference - which suggests that you think you can. To coin your phrase, rubbish. You appear to be the sort who'd see banter where there was unthinking and deep-seated xenophobia - and there is a lot of that in this country.

Just because you think that anyone who isn't that 'skinny latte sipping' cliche that you came up with, is naturally full of harmless banter, doesn't make it so.

And you asked me 'who the hell are you to say what is right?' I didn't. I said it didn't make it alright - ie acceptable. And clearly, since I wrote it, I meant doesn't make it acceptable to me.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've 'lived' abroad for 11 day stints over the years, so good things about England are
Breakfast
There doesn't seem to be anything in the wild that wants to eat you or poison you to death
Our generally not too harsh winters
Our generally not too hot summers
Our humour(generally)

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm very proud to be British and a Brightonian.

I've been living in France now for several years. It's always nice to see people(of all ages, nationalities - including the French) walking around Paris with Union Jack bags, t-shirts, phone cases etc. There seems to be something appealing about our culture and heritage from the outside looking in. Our vast musical history, fashion style and sexiness. Maybe that last one is just a self-referral :lolol:

:albion2:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I love the history we have in the British Isles, from invasions, monarchies, and intrigue through to henges, pre-historic villages and Celts.
I love that we are close enough to mainland Europe to make a huge variety of holidays and trips interesting yet we retain our own identity.
The countryside
And while most countries have their own delightful places to sup a beverage nothing, in my opinion, beats a beer garden in a good pub on a summer's day in England.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I've 'lived' abroad for 11 day stints over the years, so good things about England are
Breakfast
There doesn't seem to be anything in the wild that wants to eat you or poison you to death
Our generally not too harsh winters
Our generally not too hot summers
Our humour(generally)

Very very good shout!

(I love the fact you've used the word 'generally' a lot too. The OP's flagrant use of the word 'best' was very un-british)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Ruins.

I love ruins. To be fair, most countries have them. Britain has it's fair share too.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

It's an attitude that is very common here, often made 'acceptable' by suggesting it's a joke. Lots of British people have an irrational dislike for the French, the Germans etc. I find it irritating.

That joke isn't funny anymore.
I love the history we have in the British Isles, from invasions, monarchies, and intrigue through to henges, pre-historic villages and Celts.
The countryside
And while most countries have their own delightful places to sup a beverage nothing, in my opinion, beats a beer garden in a good pub on a summer's day in England.
:thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Australia is sadly lacking in bona-fide ruins......the best they can do is a three thousand year old pile of cockle shells and emu bones with some dirty water splattered around some near-by cave walls....it's all very discouraging as far as genuine culture goes.......:fishing:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Sarcasm

Banter

4 distinct seasons

The belief that no matter how bad the situation is it can always be sorted out with a nice cup of tea

The ‘keep calm and carry on’ attitude

…….and generally not taking life too seriously (who else but the Brits could have invented “extreme ironing”)

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Well that went well.

Bakeroo, Nibble thank you
W.C Cannot work out why using a word once is so offensive. It was I agree, a long text for you to read but I'm pretty sure I did only use best once? But already I'm repeating words so you may have a case.
Hybrid_x I did ask politely but good grief. I mean honestly do you ever smile?

Just thought it would be nice to write something positive. And W.C I am doubling up badly on words again.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Well that went well.

Bakeroo, Nibble thank you
W.C Cannot work out why using a word once is so offensive. It was I agree, a long text for you to read but I'm pretty sure I did only use best once? But already I'm repeating words so you may have a case.
Hybrid_x I did ask politely but good grief. I mean honestly do you ever smile?

Just thought it would be nice to write something positive. And W.C I am doubling up badly on words again.

Come on old chap = Best authors, poets, designers and popular music (since 1962).
You may have only used the word best once but for 4 very diverse artistic forms!

Anyway, I didn't come here to fight. Don't follow poetry much myself or design I have to admit but Britain definitely produces some superb music and writing. In terms of music, the influence of British music in the world can not be denied.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Xenophobic nonsense. The dismissal of an entire country, it's people, it's country, landscape, architecture and culture - one of the things I hate about being British.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

It's an attitude that is very common here, often made 'acceptable' by suggesting it's a joke. Lots of British people have an irrational dislike for the French, the Germans etc. I find it irritating.

That joke isn't funny anymore.

Jesus, are you head of the dept of PC. Lighten up.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
History, pride, camaraderie(was that the Italian boy?), countryside, humour, rivalry, fun, football, never say die attitude, never giving up, tolerance(maybe to much), dislike of the Germans, roast dinners, amazing buildings, but above all The British People

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Before troll invasion, just let one thread go without pejorative comments about the negative side of life where we live. I wrote a post a few months ago about why I like the BBC and the best responses were from ex-pats in far away lands. Not creating a magic world, which I know can never exist but I do like it here more than any other country I know. So here goes..

If you take all that on, or some of it, then would just like your thoughts.

Tolerance beyond any other country. And believe me I have seen the change in 10 years here (Agree, but there are other very liberal countries where they accept rather than tolerate-Tolerance is a very 'Daily Mail' word)Quiet pride without flouting it (Agree, but there are some who still think we have an empire)Funniest people (Yep)
Most polite (yep)Easiest language to learn although bow and bough must be difficult (Along with Russian it is believed to be the hardest to learn by many academics)Forgive people who have hurt us (Most of us do)
Have the SAS when they just might (There are just as capable elite forces)
Love all sports even when we don't win, but we keep it going, just in case we might. (Ashes, Wimbledon, all change, World Cup not) (Yep-but add Rugby Union, please)
Live in a democracy where we can say enough is enough (Syria vote for example) (We don't say it enough)
Best authors, poets, designers and popular music (since 1962). (Each country will lay its own claim-It's all relative)The countryside. (For sure)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
English cant be that difficult to learn, i was nearly fluent at the age of about fifteen, and im a bit thick

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
, dislike of the Germans,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here