Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things I like about being British

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Xenophobic nonsense. The dismissal of an entire country, it's people, it's country, landscape, architecture and culture - one of the things I hate about being British.

Wow - I think he might have been JOKING !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I lived abroad in some quite warm places and never really missed home. Then one day totally out of the blue I had a real urge to be sitting in a cold pub in a thick jumper watching rugby with a good pint of Guinness and a whisky chaser.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I lived abroad in some quite warm places and never really missed home. Then one day totally out of the blue I had a real urge to be sitting in a cold pub in a thick jumper watching rugby with a good pint of Guinness and a whisky chaser.

You can find Irish pubs in most cities around the world.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

This, also if it was always hot what would I do with all of my nice jumpers and coats? What would you make goalposts from?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Wow - I think he might have been JOKING !

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

It's an attitude that is very common here, often made 'acceptable' by suggesting it's a joke. Lots of British people have an irrational dislike for the French, the Germans etc. I find it irritating.

That joke isn't funny anymore.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I have lived abroad the last 12 years. Last year or so have, for the first time, started getting a bit homesick from time to time. Love my trips back these days.

I'm sure this has nothing to do whatsoever with the Amex being finished. :)

One thing I have found in the last 2 years, and apologies for bucking the trend that all young people are rude selfish *******s, is the shopping experience has improved. Is it just me? Particularly last Christmas, everywhere I went, shop staff (and always people in their young twenties) were really helpful and friendly. Really nice. Even in London! Never used to feel that way when I came back for a visit. One thing I would complain about.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

It's an attitude that is very common here, often made 'acceptable' by suggesting it's a joke. Lots of British people have an irrational dislike for the French, the Germans etc. I find it irritating.

Well aren't we a sensitive little soul !

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You can find Irish pubs in most cities around the world.

And they are all, almost without exception, crap. Embarrassing hangouts with shit beer for Plastic Paddies, and Brits who went on holiday by mistake.

Having lived abroad for 25 years, country pubs is probably what I miss most, and always look forward to when going to the UK. But in no way are Oirish pubs a replacement. Most countries have perfectly decent bars of their own that are way better than those holes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And they are all, almost without exception, crap. Embarrassing hangouts with shit beer for Plastic Paddies, and Brits who went on holiday by mistake.

Having lived abroad for 25 years, country pubs is probably what I miss most, and always look forward to when going to the UK. But in no way are Oirish pubs a replacement. Most countries have perfectly decent bars of their own that are way better than those holes.

This!

In one three month stint in Chennai, South India there were only two "pubs" in the whole town and one was - guess what - faux Irish. It was a terrible soulless joint that served the worst looking Guinness I ever saw (I didn't taste it, no one drinks Guinness when it's 35C at 10pm and it's five times the price of local beer). I also knew where the Irish bars were in Tokyo but that doesn't mean I used them. Why would you with so many interesting yakitori joints, Izakayas and tiny whisky bars to choose from?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This!

In one three month stint in Chennai, South India there were only two "pubs" in the whole town and one was - guess what - faux Irish. It was a terrible soulless joint that served the worst looking Guinness I ever saw (I didn't taste it, no one drinks Guinness when it's 35C at 10pm and it's five times the price of local beer). I also knew where the Irish bars were in Tokyo but that doesn't mean I used them. Why would you with so many interesting yakitori joints, Izakayas and tiny whisky bars to choose from?

On the whole I agree with this. Visited a couple of awful ones in Osaka just cos we were having trouble finding some places to drink. However, in Hiroshima we're blessed in having one that is, well, just a pub. And it's great. I avoided going at first, for all the above stated reasons, but then wanted a football fix and after a while came to realise it was a genuinely nice place to go for a drink.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Er, have you ever lived anywhere else? I'd say the British are as tolerant as anyone to other nations. This problem has only been created by people like you who can't take a bit of harmless banter and confuse it with some kind of xenophobia - racism. What's the difference between a Brighton fan saying they hate everything about Crystal Palace and someone saying they hate the French? Should the Aussies and Kiwis stop making jokes about each other as well? What about the Germans and the Poles? It is absolutely pathetic that people get offended by this stuff, the world would be a far better place if people chilled the **** out. Do you think the French don't say this stuff about the English?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ale.
Humour.
Politeness and Courtesy.
Football.
Pubs.
A full English.
Sunday Roasts.
Sausages.
Countryside.
Music.
The English language.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Agree.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Er, have you ever lived anywhere else? I'd say the British are as tolerant as anyone to other nations. This problem has only been created by people like you who can't take a bit of harmless banter and confuse it with some kind of xenophobia - racism. What's the difference between a Brighton fan saying they hate everything about Crystal Palace and someone saying they hate the French? Should the Aussies and Kiwis stop making jokes about each other as well? What about the Germans and the Poles? It is absolutely pathetic that people get offended by this stuff, the world would be a far better place if people chilled the **** out. Do you think the French don't say this stuff about the English?

The Aussies and Kiwis have a rivalry based on mutual respect - much as we do with the Aussies.

The old harmless banter argument... Too many people in this country genuinely dislike our European neighbours. They think that this is acceptable. You'll notice that I didn't mention racism - we come from the same ancestry, give or take.

I have lived abroad, yes, a year in Italy. I didn't always like the attitude of Italians towards me or other foreigners. Italy is not famously inclusive.

That doesn't mean that this Little Englander attitude is alright. The British abroad who get pissed up and abuse the locals, does that fill you with pride? People like that often have dodgy attitudes like these.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I agree with the original post too. What other countries say and do isn't really the point. Funny jokes about the French are funny, but there are many tedious Brits who trot out the Hate the French line without a hint of wit. It's boring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here