[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's a bit frustrating to know that the optimal Stephens replacement currently is running around in no man's land watching Steve Coopers ugly hoofball-Swansea. The club is absolutely broke and needs to sell a player right now if they want to keep their cat 1 academy. 4 or 5 million pounds and we would have Matt Grimes in the midfield. Dirty, beautiful opportunity.

I think there's another (D)CM that's doing rather well in the Championship this season and, the fortunate thing is, we won't have to sign him for next season.

Generally we lack consistency and quite a few players do when we are on our game we are very very good can take on anyone even liverpool but we also have off days where we look ordinary or even poor. You can include Stephens biss greyhound propper gross bong trossard Duffy and albeit with Trossard still learning fairly new and others being young and still learning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree with you here as is often the case, but I do have my doubts about Bissouma's attitude, whereas you can't question Stephens'. Bissouma seems a bit like NSC, with extremes of emotions. He trudged off the pitch slowly when his number came up yesterday, and hadn't done anything to warrant staying on the pitch. He can light things up, but he goes missing too much in games, which you could also level at Trossard, although he plays further up the pitch, and you need more consistency from your deeper players. I'm also not entirely convinced that he ever covers that much ground (I'd be interested in seeing the stats on this, especially compared with our other midfielders).

Yeah all true.........he's still young though so will hopefully mature. Sure Potter is the man to help him too. When he's on top of his game (like at Palace) he's excellent.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yeah all true.........he's still young though so will hopefully mature. Sure Potter is the man to help him too. When he's on top of his game (like at Palace) he's excellent.

I think you are right about the maturity. However, even if he does mature I feel there's still a question of his consistency and ability to perform against the better teams.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I’ll put this out there as a question, because I know i’ll get into trouble if I put it out there as a statement.

Has Dale Stephens had somewhat of a falling out with Mr Potter?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’ll put this out there as a question, because I know i’ll get into trouble if I put it out there as a statement.

What makes you think that?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Very possible. I think the boss has commented on that occasional silly tin tin quiff that Dale sports. But Dale bit back and said you're too old for that poor man's Paul Weller! All rather silly when Don Goodman is regularly on Sky:)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Potter has eyes. A ten year old can see the slowdown/negative affect Stephens has on our style. He has two main limitations which lead to problems in this new system:
1. When we’re playing out from the back he plays facing our goal 80% of the time, unlike someone like Propper or Mooy who are always ‘on the turn’ when receiving the ball, this leads to too many passes from him going straight back.
2. His first touch is too often poor, the ball gets away from him or he has to take another touch.
Both the above slow us down. It is no coincidence we have looked miles more fluid as a unit recently when Stephens has not started.

I watched teenagers on the box yesterday for Liverpool who all have a better first touch and movement with the ball than Stephens. Not having a go, he’s not a bad player but he’s nowhere near first name on the team sheet. It’s just the way I see it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Potter has eyes. A ten year old can see the slowdown/negative affect Stephens has on our style. He has two main limitations which lead to problems in this new system:
1. When we’re playing out from the back he plays facing our goal 80% of the time, unlike someone like Propper or Mooy who are always ‘on the turn’ when receiving the ball, this leads to too many passes from him going straight back.
2. His first touch is too often poor, the ball gets away from him or he has to take another touch.
Both the above slow us down. It is no coincidence we have looked miles more fluid as a unit recently when Stephens has not started.

I watched teenagers on the box yesterday for Liverpool who all have a better first touch and movement with the ball than Stephens. Not having a go, he’s not a bad player but he’s nowhere near first name on the team sheet. It’s just the way I see it.

I’d politely suggest that Potter sees it very different to your view.

Mooy and to an extent Propper for starters receive the ball in very different areas to Stephens.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The combination of Mooy, Bissouma and Pröpper has looked our best midfield to me this season.

I'm not fully disagreeing with you, but that was against a very out of form Bournemouth team.

The exact same midfield three were shit against Chelsea (admittedly a much better side) in the first half.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not when Stephens doesn’t play they don’t.

There’d have been an epic NSC meltdown and scapegoating if Stephens would’ve played that blind pass that Propper played which led to the Wolves equaliser.

A lot of our play revolves around using Stephens as our opening pass from defence. He then plays back with the more advanced midfielders playing between the lines, receiving the third pass.

That phase of play involving Stephens opens up the game for the likes of Mooy, Alzate & Gross.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Mooy and to an extent Propper for starters receive the ball in very different areas to Stephens.

This.

Potter repeatedly played DS in great PL team performances this season. Wildly guessing that Potter sees a list of damning inadequacies in Dale’s game, is hysterical.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dominated Palace as well.....

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Hadn't realised that. Good point. I certainly like the blend of attributes that you get from those 3.

If all are on form, it probably would be my midfield 3. However Bissouma is probably still more inconsistent than Stephens imo, which is completely understandable given his age.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Agreed - you can't compare Stephens receiving the ball as the last line between the opposition and the back 4, and Mooy receiving the ball much closer to the opposition box.

Totally different jobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports