Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yep, he was crap. Radio Sussex and 5Live also thought that Bong and Bissouma were shockingly poor. Their summaries - Maupay was the only player who showed desire, attitude, who cared. Uncreative from the off, embarrassed by Championship opposition in our own stadium. Disgraceful performance by Stephens and 8 other outfield players.

As with the Villa match, I genuinely feel for the loyal punters who paid and optimistically turned up expecting a cup performance and win.

Short changed, robbed, pathetic.

Yes, absolutely. I am tired of hearing the club management repeatedly telling us about the magic of the cup etc, and seeing yet again a pathetic performance devoid of any class or grit.

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
That just proves the point because he wasnt today in fact was one of our better performers if you watched what he did with an open mind.
Agree. It's bizarre that fans watch the match with preconceived thought that x is crap. Definitely the case with a number of our fans and DS. To be fair many don't understand the game and the value that players such as DS bring to the team/their role in the team. We've seen it before with Barnes who has well and truly shown up his critics, and I guess it's the nature of some fans to have an irrational dislike of a particular player despite the value they provide to the team.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Agree. It's bizarre that fans watch the match with preconceived thought that x is crap. Definitely the case with a number of our fans and DS. To be fair many don't understand the game and the value that players such as DS bring to the team/their role in the team. We've seen it before with Barnes who has well and truly shown up his critics, and I guess it's the nature of some fans to have an irrational dislike of a particular player despite the value they provide to the team.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

I have to ask this. Were you there today?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But that’s the whole point, ‘all he does is pass it sideways’ - his role isn’t to start running at and beating players, or spraying balls around. It’s keep hold of it, gain some space and look for passes into the attacking players.

Basically don’t take risks, leave that to the players in front of him

Right, I think most of us get his role. Let’s leave aside anyone who thinks Dale should be compared to Gross or whatever.

That aside, all those qualities you’re listing he’s failing at. And not just today, but at the higher PL level.

“Keeping hold of it” - he constantly loses the ball.
“Looking for passes into the attacking players” - nearly all our moves that breakdown end with him?

I’m surprised NSC is divided on this as where I sit nearly everyone curses out Dale during a game. It’s like a tradition at this point.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Against Villa it was the manager’s fault for selecting an inadequate team. Today, the team was easily - on paper - good enough. Potter was hugely let down by almost everyone who played (Maupay and Duffy, then Ali excepted perhaps). I hope he’s ripped them all a new one and thrown a few metaphorical teacups across the dressing room.
Bang on mate. Saw the team sheet against Villa and knew we had little chance. Saw the team sheet today and expected so much better than what I witnessed. Barely any played to a standard they and Potter would be happy with. Maupay at least showed some desire, and Ali when he came on. Not far from another overhead kick !! Schellotto letting the ball go under his foot for a throw in from a good attacking position summed the game up. Lamentable on the whole. Certainly no fringe players looked like they could step up. Big wake up call for Potter, that performance. And on topic, Stephens was dreadful, and is out of form, but has had plenty of good performances also this season, so I'm not kicking him towards the exit door. Plenty of others had shockers today

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Right, I think most of us get his role. Let’s leave aside anyone who thinks Dale should be compared to Gross or whatever.

That aside, all those qualities you’re listing he’s failing at. And not just today, but at the higher PL level.

“Keeping hold of it” - he constantly loses the ball.
“Looking for passes into the attacking players” - nearly all our moves that breakdown end with him?

I’m surprised NSC is divided on this as where I sit nearly everyone curses out Dale during a game. It’s like a tradition at this point.

This with bells on.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I mean... the alternative is Bissouma and no one can say he was better than Stephens today. I think Dale needs to start and that he is better with Dunk around.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
In the summer? We need bloody strengthening now
At the end of the game we had one player who has not been part of our match day squad, that was Button

We had our Premier league strike force on for the second half and we looked toothless

Um, re Button, who's the sub 'keeper on the bench, in the match day squad ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mean... the alternative is Bissouma and no one can say he was better than Stephens today. I think Dale needs to start and that he is better with Dunk around.

The combination of Mooy, Bissouma and Pröpper has looked our best midfield to me this season. I’d rather stick with that. Bissouma and Stephens were equally crap today.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The combination of Mooy, Bissouma and Pröpper has looked our best midfield to me this season. I’d rather stick with that. Bissouma and Stephens were equally crap today.

While Stephens wasn't good no one could touch Bissouma in shortness today. If someone compiled a video of all of his actions today you'd be embarrassed to even have thought anyone could be even close to as shit he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here