Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Actually can't stand Stephens and never have. I'll get flamed for it but don't care. Very rare I ever hear a good word about him from any fans.

Boring sideways player who slow the whole game down and gets in the way.

If I said that I can’t stand Bong or Jahanbakhsh and never had, I’d be jumped on immediately in some parts as a racist. You’ll get away with it because he’s Anglo Saxon.

Why did hate him on our promotion season?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But that’s because you don’t really understand football. It’s the same thing people that slag off Jordan Henderson say.

He is in a bad patch of form agreed, but his role is very much required in a team - as his long service for us has shown.

I find this idea that because we question Stephens ability we somehow don’t understand his role and/or the game in general. This is an oft repeated line. There’s nothin new or particularly special or difficult to understand about this role; we get it. It’s his ability to perform the role which is being questioned.

That said, it’s only my opinion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find this idea that because we question Stephens ability we somehow don’t understand his role and/or the game in general. This is an oft repeated line. There’s nothin new or particularly special or difficult to understand about this role; we get it. It’s his ability to perform the role which is being questioned.

Let’s refine that. You get it and always have.

Whilst other Stephens detractors think he’s a crap Attacking Central Midfielder, and hate the bloke for that.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
But that’s because you don’t really understand football. It’s the same thing people that slag off Jordan Henderson say.

He is in a bad patch of form agreed, but his role is very much required in a team - as his long service for us has shown.

I understand enough about football to know he was absolutely crap today.

Regardless of what position he plays or his importance to the team.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

But that’s the whole point, ‘all he does is pass it sideways’ - his role isn’t to start running at and beating players, or spraying balls around. It’s keep hold of it, gain some space and look for passes into the attacking players.

Basically don’t take risks, leave that to the players in front of him

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
A very good player in desperate need of finding form. Potter needs to give him a break for a bit but I guess he saw this game for Stephens, Webster and one or two others as a way to play themselves into form. Hope he changes for a Everton

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep, he was crap. Radio Sussex and 5Live also thought that Bong and Bissouma were shockingly poor. Their summaries - Maupay was the only player who showed desire, attitude, who cared. Uncreative from the off, embarrassed by Championship opposition in our own stadium. Disgraceful performance by Stephens and 8 other outfield players.

As with the Villa match, I genuinely feel for the loyal punters who paid and optimistically turned up expecting a cup performance and win.

Short changed, robbed, pathetic.

Fair play. You might remember that after a couple of months, I said that he had been our best player. But he's been deteriorating since then, and the decline has been precipitous recently. When we play badly, it invariably makes him stand out.
He's been such a key player for us for more than half a decade now but a spell on the sidelines is his likely near future. More interesting is what awaits his mid-term future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But that’s the whole point, ‘all he does is pass it sideways’ - his role isn’t to start running at and beating players, or spraying balls around. It’s keep hold of it, gain some space and look for passes into the attacking players.

But I never said what his role is, I said I understand it. So I never said his role is to start running etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair play. You might remember that after a couple of months, I said that he had been our best player. But he's been deteriorating since then, and the decline has been precipitous recently. When we play badly, it invariably makes him stand out.
He's been such a key player for us for more than half a decade now but a spell on the sidelines is his likely near future. More interesting is what awaits his mid-term future.

Imperious at the Emirates just a few weeks ago, to cap several DM master shows this season.

Suddenly shite, performances off a cliff.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, he was crap. Radio Sussex and 5Live also thought that Bong and Bissouma were shockingly poor. Their summaries - Maupay was the only player who showed desire, attitude, who cared. Uncreative from the off, embarrassed by Championship opposition in our own stadium. Disgraceful performance by Stephens and 8 other outfield players.

As with the Villa match, I genuinely feel for the loyal punters who paid and optimistically turned up expecting a cup performance and win.

Short changed, robbed, pathetic.

Against Villa it was the manager’s fault for selecting an inadequate team. Today, the team was easily - on paper - good enough. Potter was hugely let down by almost everyone who played (Maupay and Duffy, then Ali excepted perhaps). I hope he’s ripped them all a new one and thrown a few metaphorical teacups across the dressing room.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

And that’s only half the game anyway. The better part of his game is when the opposition have the ball, interceptions, tackles, occupying the right spaces etc. That’s the bit that never gets discussed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And that’s only half the game anyway. The better part of his game is when the opposition have the ball, interceptions, tackles, occupying the right spaces etc. That’s the bit that never gets discussed.

Yes. It is possible we could upgrade Stephens but it’s still the same role / kind of player. Like I say , the same kind of things Jordan Henderson gets ‘criticised’ for.

Not defending Stephens today, but people saying he doesn’t do anything / only passes sideways need to understand the game. See also the Lampard / Gerrard playing together thing

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Yes. It is possible we could upgrade Stephens but it’s still the same role / kind of player. Like I say , the same kind of things Jordan Henderson gets ‘criticised’ for.

Not defending Stephens today, but people saying he doesn’t do anything / only passes sideways need to understand the game. See also the Lampard / Gerrard playing together thing

Banging on about understanding the game. I'm sure you know more then the rest of us, and you've played at a high level.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Banging on about understanding the game. I'm sure you know more then the rest of us, and you've played at a high level.

Given you’ve never rated Stephens it sounds like you should be a managing in the premier league or championship at least given he has pretty much been ever present under Garcia, Hughton & Potter - since he signed in January 2014 [emoji41]

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Given you’ve never rated Stephens it sounds like you should be a managing in the premier league or championship at least given he has pretty much been ever present under Garcia, Hughton & Potter - since he signed in January 2014 [emoji41]

I'll stick my hand up the next time the job comes available :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here