Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The undropable Dale Stephens

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter has eyes. A ten year old can see the slowdown/negative affect Stephens has on our style. He has two main limitations which lead to problems in this new system:
1. When we’re playing out from the back he plays facing our goal 80% of the time, unlike someone like Propper or Mooy who are always ‘on the turn’ when receiving the ball, this leads to too many passes from him going straight back.
2. His first touch is too often poor, the ball gets away from him or he has to take another touch.
Both the above slow us down. It is no coincidence we have looked miles more fluid as a unit recently when Stephens has not started.

I watched teenagers on the box yesterday for Liverpool who all have a better first touch and movement with the ball than Stephens. Not having a go, he’s not a bad player but he’s nowhere near first name on the team sheet. It’s just the way I see it.

Those Liverpool kids had more movement, vision, execution of the pass and awareness of team-mates than; Stephens, Propper, Bissouma and Gross. They ran Schneiderlain and Sigurdsson to an early standstill, in chasing shadows. But based one performance.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Another consistent performance from ‘the undropable Dale Stephens’ yesterday.

- The cause of most our moves breaking down in their third, check
- Out muscled by Davies and unable to hold the ball, check
- lack of technique and ability to make penetrative passes, check
- good at passing the ball backwards and side ways, check

That said, an improvement on his last showing against Sheff Wed.

This week I give a 4/10.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Another consistent performance from ‘the undropable Dale Stephens’ yesterday.

- The cause of most our moves breaking down in their third, check
- Out muscled by Davies and unable to hold the ball, check
- lack of technique and ability to make penetrative passes, check
- good at passing the ball backwards and side ways, check

That said, an improvement on his last showing against Sheff Wed.

This week I give a 4/10.

He’s off his game at the moment but there’s no doubt he’ll come good again for us. I think people should give the man a break.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He’s off his game at the moment but there’s no doubt he’ll come good again for us. I think people should give the man a break.

I agree, Butlins for a few months should do it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'd still have him over many others in the middle of the park, at the same time admitting his confidence looks low right now.

Wonder why that is, all the groans and moans when he gets the ball? Who'd have thunk it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Waits for all the people who don’t understand what Stephens does don’t understand football brigade to arrive.

I understand what he does and the importance of it .... I just want someone who does the things Dale does only better.

There are a couple of players in the squad who can play football at this level but if we want to kick on to lower mid table and beyond then we must replace them. Stephens is one of them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Drop him for the game v Villa if Mooy is fit.

Mooy, Alzate and Pröpper must be our selection.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is no way that Alzate should replace Stephens in the starting line up. Bring him on during the game perhaps but not start.
Well Stephens needs to be dropped. I've no idea what his problem has been since New Year, but he has a massive hangover. Needs time out of the starting line up.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is no way that Alzate should replace Stephens in the starting line up. Bring him on during the game perhaps but not start.

Why not?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Why when Alzate is a much better player? He isn’t an individual like for like replacement but fits much better into our side along with a combination of Propper, Bissouma, and Mooy.

For a defensive midfielder, Stephens really isn’t very good at playing defensive midfield as I’ve been saying for over a year now. I’d rather start with 2/3 more slightly more offensive centre mids than be weakened by starting Stephens.

Besides, I actually think Propper is better in that deeper role and both him and Bissouma play better when Stephens isn’t there.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Simple really he does not posses Stephens reading of the game and situation and has neither his ability or skill. What Alzate has is youthful endeavour but his shooting which people complain about Stephens is even worse. Alzate may replace Stephens one day but not yet a while. Our midfield 3 should be Propper, Mooy Stephens or Gross with Bissouma and Alzate as back up. Perhaps we should let Propper play further forward with Stephens as the DM and Mooy or Gross carrying the ball.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Simple really he does not posses Stephans reading of the game and situation and has neither his ability or skill. What Alzate has is youthful endeavour but his shooting which people complain about Stephens is even worse. Alzate may replace Stephens one day but not yet a while. Our midfield 3 should be Propper, Mooy Stephens or Gross with Bissouma and Alzate as back up. Perhaps we should let Propper play further forward with Stephens as the DM and Mooy or Gross carrying the ball.

I didn't realise that Alzate is sitting defensive midfielder. His creative talents would be wasted shielding Dunk and Duffy.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Simple really he does not posses Stephans reading of the game and situation and has neither his ability or skill. What Alzate has is youthful endeavour but his shooting which people complain about Stephens is even worse. Alzate may replace Stephens one day but not yet a while. Our midfield 3 should be Propper, Mooy Stephens or Gross with Bissouma and Alzate as back up. Perhaps we should let Propper play further forward with Stephens as the DM and Mooy or Gross carrying the ball.

Alzate maybe young but may I suggest he is far more skilful and for a young player more ability than Stephens and just lacks experience and you only gain that by playing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didn't realise that Alzate is sitting defensive midfielder. His creative talents would be wasted shielding Dunk and Duffy.

Stephens is best suited to sitting as a holding midfielder which is not Alzate 's game so why replace Stephens with Alzate. If you are looking to replace like for like it would possibly be Baluta for Stephens and Alzate for Propper Mooy or Gross not Stephens.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Alzate maybe young but may I suggest he is far more skilful and for a young player more ability than Stephens and just lacks experience and you only gain that by playing.

It all about opinions and I do not believe that Alzate has more ability than Stephens as he loses the ball a lot because he tries one too many players to try to beat and his shooting is appalling. He will gain experience by more substitute appearances during this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here