Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK's terror threat level is being raised from "substantial" to "severe"

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
there is a picture on one of those links of a chap posing in front of 8 severed heads adorning the fence behind him....numerous images of a similar kind that show you just how medieval these chaps are.......barbaric, medieval , lunatics.......they cannot be allowed back into Britain .
They went to the holy land in the hope of attaining martyrdom...?? I believe they should be accommodated , people who decapitate other people in the name of religion , not only that but arrange the bodies in disrespectful positions and take photo's of them to be put on the internet....deserve to die.....they are sub-human.

cant agree more,if they are known by the security services to have taken part in these killings their passports should be terminated and citizenship of the UK officially revoked.
Let them have an Islamic State passport issued by the new Islamic State and lets see how that works for them.

as for the other Brits that want to go there and fight jihad and slaughter and behead people we should not be taking their passports and stopping them going,this is fracked up policy........no one wants these freaks interned here.......let them go and die their stupid martyr death

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
cant agree more,if they are known by the security services to have taken part in these killings their passports should be terminated and citizenship of the UK officially revoked.
Let them have an Islamic State passport issued by the new Islamic State and lets see how that works for them.

as for the other Brits that want to go there and fight jihad and slaughter and behead people we should not be taking their passports and stopping them going,this is fracked up policy........no one wants these freaks interned here.......let them go and die their stupid martyr death

exactly.....if that's what they want we must not stand in their way , it is their birth-rite....surely.....in fact i would offer them all one way tickets if they can't get the fare together....:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Common sense from Ashdown who accuses Cameron of knee-jerk hysterical reaction.

"While not attempting to deny or play down the threat from jihadis returning to the UK, Ashdown says that the threat level in Northern Ireland has also been "severe" for the past four years, as it was in all of Britain for much of the 1980s and 1990s when the IRA posed the greatest danger.

He argues that the current threat is "one we have faced before and one we know how to deal with – effectively, without panic and without a whole new range of executive powers which could endanger our liberties."

He also said "Indeed, when it comes to facing threats, it was surely far more difficult to cope with IRA terrorists slipping across the Irish Sea than it is to stop jihadis returning from Iraq."

Here's the full article
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/30/paddy-ashdown-kneejerk-reaction-jihadi-threat

Just looking at this website shows how much hysteria Cameron's nativity has whipped up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Firstly its not scaremongering,it is information.Its only scaremongering if you get people scared. I dont know anyone that is scared or heard of anyone that is now scared because the threat level has gone up.Do you know anyone that is scared? No of course you dont.

Concerned perhaps but not scared.

Calm down dear.

Your level of naivety is astounding.
You are living in a cloud cuckoo land if you believe its not possible that SOME of these vile jihadi (British) freaks might return to the UK and might try to commit a terrorist act.
I dont know what rock you have been living under but British citizens fighting for IS have been actively boasting about taking part in these mass killings and beheadings through social media.
You thinking the Brits returning here will ALL come back,pick up where they left off and lead a nice normal life ,telling everyone Islam is love and no one should be killed is mind boggling mental.

If you cant believe it only takes ONE of these returning lunatics to create carnage should they wish to do so,there is something seriously wrong with your reasoning

Calm down dear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Firstly its not scaremongering,it is information.Its only scaremongering if you get people scared. I dont know anyone that is scared or heard of anyone that is now scared because the threat level has gone up.Do you know anyone that is scared? No of course you dont.

Concerned perhaps but not scared.

Your level of naivety is astounding.
You are living in a cloud cuckoo land if you believe its not possible that SOME of these vile jihadi (British) freaks might return to the UK and might try to commit a terrorist act.
I dont know what rock you have been living under but British citizens fighting for IS have been actively boasting about taking part in these mass killings and beheadings through social media.
You thinking the Brits returning here will ALL come back,pick up where they left off and lead a nice normal life ,telling everyone Islam is love and no one should be killed is mind boggling mental.

If you cant believe it only takes ONE of these returning lunatics to create carnage should they wish to do so,there is something seriously wrong with your reasoning

You sound very panicky.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well i survived all the terrorist attacks of the 70's, 80's and 90's, so i don't think i'll get too worried about this

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sad to see the link to the photos still up even though its been reported.

Reported again

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Well this took a slightly odd turn onto my previous career! As Bushy has highlighted I was not commenting on the threat level, only what I believe to be the posting of inappropriate links.

Those links are still here as pointed out above so I guess the mods think they are OK.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Well this took a slightly odd turn onto my previous career! As Bushy has highlighted I was not commenting on the threat level, only what I believe to be the posting of inappropriate links.

Those links are still here as pointed out above so I guess the mods think they are OK.

It seems Bushy believes your former employment (this I assume your former vetting level) make you the NSC Terrorism czar. So what is your well informed view on the change in Security level? Political hype or what?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Common sense from Ashdown who accuses Cameron of knee-jerk hysterical reaction.

"While not attempting to deny or play down the threat from jihadis returning to the UK, Ashdown says that the threat level in Northern Ireland has also been "severe" for the past four years, as it was in all of Britain for much of the 1980s and 1990s when the IRA posed the greatest danger.

He argues that the current threat is "one we have faced before and one we know how to deal with – effectively, without panic and without a whole new range of executive powers which could endanger our liberties."

He also said "Indeed, when it comes to facing threats, it was surely far more difficult to cope with IRA terrorists slipping across the Irish Sea than it is to stop jihadis returning from Iraq."

Here's the full article
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/30/paddy-ashdown-kneejerk-reaction-jihadi-threat

Just looking at this website shows how much hysteria Cameron's nativity has whipped up.

I would give due regard to Ashdown's perspective, as he generally talks sense, given his military background, albeit now somewhat dated. The MO of the IRA was pretty well understood and recognised, although they did demonstrate a range of lethal capabilities in Sussex.

Since 9/11 the range and type of threats to the UK has greatly expanded. Clearly the offshoots of the IRA are not to be ignored but the threat to the UK is now more widely characterised by rogue radicalised cells of terrorists, not to be under estimated because they have learned how to create improvised and crude weapons that if correctly assembled and maintained are still devastatingly effective (7/7 and nearly on 25/7). There are plenty of other potential threats that do not make the news, but are regarded as 'viable'. On a smaller scale the murderers of Lee Rigby were known to the security services but other fragmented cells are difficult to identify because they often sit below the intelligence radar, hence there is a need for public awareness and vigilance.

That's in addition to the lower level threats from, for example, animal rights groups and maybe the odd armchair plotter experimenting in his/her garden shed.

I feel the Govt is merely trying to raise the level of public awareness and vigilance to the diverse threats we face. It is damned if it does - and damned if it doesn't. There is a real threat - and trying to politicise it is a distraction from the main issue. Yes there could be a broad and somewhat cynical PR strategy to create a public atmosphere more willing to accept the UK's stance in the Middle East. History shows that the UK isn't always on the right side of the argument and we are often 'fed' a convenient and rather distorted line. We could all look back at successive Govts fanning the flames of extremism, conveniently downplaying the consequences for domestic security and then innocent punters pay the cost. It might be convenient to allow a couple of nasty domestic terrorism incidents to get public opinion on it's side.....and wouldn't be the first time. But a few months before a general election? This hardly feels like Cameron's Falklands moment.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It seems Bushy believes your former employment (this I assume your former vetting level) make you the NSC Terrorism czar. So what is your well informed view on the change in Security level? Political hype or what?
Firstly its good to remember that the threat level is not set by the government it is set by JTAC, a group of intelligence analysts and operators from civilian and military agencies, investigators from the police, Border agency etc...

The assessment is based on 4 key areas; the intelligence available to the UK, the intent and capabilities of the terrorists and the timescale they operate in. The level is reviewed regularly and the results of which are then given to the home office. Key to the threat level is to increase public awareness and encourage private enterprise to review their security measures.

Its widely accepted that citizens have gone to Iraq and syria. It is widely accepted that they have fought in those countries. It is widely accepted that some have returned and others may wish too with honed terrorist skill sets. We, here in the UK, are at risk from a terrorist attack and that risk has increased with the formation of IS, their actions in Syria and them storming through Iraq. It has been a slow increase, a steady rise, however that has been thrown into sharp focus becuase of 'Jihadi John' and 'the Beatles'.

There are some that are suspicious of anything the government say or do, some think its all driven by re-election. Sometimes its just what it says on the tin...we are at an increased risk of attack due to events in thw Middle East.

You could suggeat that its not hype, the security services and cops are proper worried.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The pictures are abhorrent, but are not glamourising the terrorist acts. The person who posted them clearly gave a warning so am inclined to leave the link.

Not dissimilar to what Hollywood calls entertainment in the likes of '24' etc. sadly.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Firstly its good to remember that the threat level is not set by the government it is set by JTAC, a group of intelligence analysts and operators from civilian and military agencies, investigators from the police, Border agency etc...

The assessment is based on 4 key areas; the intelligence available to the UK, the intent and capabilities of the terrorists and the timescale they operate in. The level is reviewed regularly and the results of which are then given to the home office. Key to the threat level is to increase public awareness and encourage private enterprise to review their security measures.

Its widely accepted that citizens have gone to Iraq and syria. It is widely accepted that they have fought in those countries. It is widely accepted that some have returned and others may wish too with honed terrorist skill sets. We, here in the UK, are at risk from a terrorist attack and that risk has increased with the formation of IS, their actions in Syria and them storming through Iraq. It has been a slow increase, a steady rise, however that has been thrown into sharp focus becuase of 'Jihadi John' and 'the Beatles'.

There are some that are suspicious of anything the government say or do, some think its all driven by re-election. Sometimes its just what it says on the tin...we are at an increased risk of attack due to events in thw Middle East.

You could suggeat that its not hype, the security services and cops are proper worried.

Thank you for a measured response that comes from someone with an accurate objective response. :wave: it's good to know someone on this board understands this situation and is in a position to be able to share it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here