Who do you believe ?

• I believe Johnson

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I believe the Mail

Votes: 38 57.6%

• Total voters

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
God only knows what the truth of any of this is.

But Cummings is doing to Johnson exactly what he did to Corbyn. Using his pet media to throw so much mud that some will stick in people's minds. So if you believed all the media hype about Corbyn, then you should be lapping this up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I believe that BJ said it, or something very similar. Not the kind of thing you splash all over your front page - even if you're the Daily Mail - unless you can back it up (audio recording etc). Let's see BJ bluff and bluster his way through THIS one :wave:

Willing to bet with you that it doesn't materially affect either opinion polls or May elections materially

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I want to know what Kuenssberg and Pesto think.

Cos they know everything.....

ITV host Robert Peston has waded into the No 10 vs Dominic Cummings briefing war – denying that the former top aide was the source of the leaked story on second lockdown plans last October. “The “chatty rat” who contacted me was not Cummings,” Peston writes in his latest blog – discussing a message received from a government source on 30 October.

“I can tell you that the text was not from Cummings or anyone within a mile of him. “And the reason I can share that with you, without breaching journalistic etiquette, should be obvious: if the text had come from Cummings, I would have put the news straight out, since he was a “horse’s mouth” authority on this stuff.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-cummings-flat-bodies-b1837468.html

Robert Peston, ITV’s political editor, has written a blog saying he has spoken to two sources who heard Boris Johnson make the comment that he would rather see bodies pile high than order a third lockdown. Peston writes:

I am told he shouted it in his study just after he agreed to the second lockdown “in a rage”. The doors to the cabinet room and outer office were allegedly open and supposedly a number of people heard.

I am bothering to repeat this assertion about what the prime minister said because two eyewitnesses - or perhaps I should say “ear witnesses” - have corroborated the Daily Mail’s account to me.

Also these sources insist they did not brief the Mail, so that suggests there are three sources.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cummings has the tapes.

Don't trust him for a moment but I don't believe the Mail would've done this front page quite so emphatically without hearing/seeing proof.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
God only knows what the truth of any of this is.

But Cummings is doing to Johnson exactly what he did to Corbyn. Using his pet media to throw so much mud that some will stick in people's minds. So if you believed all the media hype about Corbyn, then you should be lapping this up.

Fair point and I suppose the reverse is also true ie if you didn’t believe the media about Corbyn then you shouldn’t believe them about Johnson. Something tells me though that most will arrange their beliefs along tribal lines instead. I see the Cummings as the source idea has been denied. Really if we don’t know who is saying something it is impossible to take a view on whether it is true or not. Many people solve this conundrum by believing what they want to believe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shameful by BBC. Main lunchtime news still just banging on about BJ's poxy flat refurbishment, rather than the DM allegations that, if substantiated, will see him crash and burn in disgrace :rolleyes:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Fair point and I suppose the reverse is also true ie if you didn’t believe the media about Corbyn then you shouldn’t believe them about Johnson. Something tells me though that most will arrange their beliefs along tribal lines instead. I see the Cummings as the source idea has been denied. Really if we don’t know who is saying something it is impossible to take a view on whether it is true or not. Many people solve this conundrum by believing what they want to believe.

Good points well made [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Given the attitude of some, such as the pub owner who attacked Keir Starmer for not fighting against the lockdowns because it's 'only old people dying' (the attitude suggested by his comments about the average age of people dying being in their 80s), you have to wonder if there are people who will view this as a good thing - BJ wanted to let them continue making money with open businesses, but was forced to lockdown the country by others who don't care about them like BJ does.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have no idea whether this is true or not but if it's a lie it's a good one. It's exactly the sort of thing you can imagine him saying. I find it interesting that those who normally believe everything they read in the Daily Mail are dismissing the story and those who wouldn't believe a single word from it under normal circumstances are lapping it up. If nothing else, both sides of the political divide are predictable.

If Cummings has tapes, he's broken every security rule in the book I'd imagine.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Shameful by BBC. Main lunchtime news still just banging on about BJ's poxy flat refurbishment, rather than the DM allegations that, if substantiated, will see him crash and burn in disgrace :rolleyes:

I suppose it could be that they doubt the story is true or simply haven't seen any evidence so don't feel that they can run the story based on what one tabloid (with a reputation for breaktaking insincerity) has been told by a former adviser (with a reputation for breaktaking insincerity).

Personally I like news outlets to only run news that they have a reasonable belief may be true. Old fashioned as I am

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
the DM allegations that, if substantiated, will see him crash and burn in disgrace :rolleyes:

They will be substantiated but really won’t affect his that much with the current Parliamentary majority; he only has Tory back-stabbers to worry about and they’ll be too cowardly to act until after the next election.

His core support know what he is. They are prepared to accept comments like that because he took us out of the EU. He will continue to get their support whilst he pursues populist agendas.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If it's not true and provable, would it not be libel, in which case Johnson should/will sue?

You cant have news organisations going around printing made up stuff like this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I suppose it could be that they doubt the story is true or simply haven't seen any evidence so don't feel that they can run the story based on what one tabloid (with a reputation for breaktaking insincerity) has been told by a former adviser (with a reputation for breaktaking insincerity).

Personally I like news outlets to only run news that they have a reasonable belief may be true. Old fashioned as I am

Seems to be good enough for ITN and Sky News @ 13:15

Screenshot_20210426-131610.png

Screenshot_20210426-131651.png

But not for BBC News - who are clearly running scared of their own shadow and their licence fee

Screenshot_20210426-131742.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here