Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Southdown & Eridge Hunt's traditional boxing day meet has been stymied

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
As a resident just outside Lewes, I've always been put off bringing friends and family into the town on Boxing Day by the Hunt. The uneatable pursued by the unspeakable, supported by a handful of forelock tuggers.

Delighted to say, this year I will bring a dozen or so in for the wheelbarrow races and encourage them to donate to what is sadly a growing need for Foodbanks, primarily because of the likes of those who go hunting and their political representatives. #teamwheelbarrow

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I do not disagree with your comments but as I said in an earlier post if you have ever seen rat hunting with dogs where rats are screaming in agony with broken backs after dogs have half killed them where do you draw the line? Foxes lovely and cuddly, rats vermin. Animal cruelty is is the same whatever the species. Yet my guess is not many would support being kind to rats.
I’m not sure what your point is?

Are you saying it is unreasonable to protest against cub-hunting because rats are hunted by dogs? I have witnessed hare coursing which is equally despicable.

In fact my first dog was a lurcher that had been used for hare coursing - when I rescued her, she could barely walk she was so skinny, with skin infections, an infected uterus, she’d had her puppies killed in front of her and she’d been beaten so much, the look in her eyes was one of total despair. It took months and months to rehab her.

People forget, it is not just the prey that suffer in hunting with dogs, the dogs that are used to do the hunting are often treated badly too.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
As a resident just outside Lewes, I've always been put off bringing friends and family into the town on Boxing Day by the Hunt. The uneatable pursued by the unspeakable, supported by a handful of forelock tuggers.

Delighted to say, this year I will bring a dozen or so in for the wheelbarrow races and encourage them to donate to what is sadly a growing need for Foodbanks, primarily because of the likes of those who go hunting and their political representatives. #teamwheelbarrow
Indeed. In Lewes itself a couple of years ago the food parcels were contracted out to Chartwells (who also have the contract for school meals in Lewes)

They were pulled up for providing about £5 worth of food in a parcel supposedly to the value of £30

Rees Mogg would be so proud of the entrepreneurship.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Not so... helping a person who doesn`t know his Lewes from his Lewis is nothing to do with the Hunt/Wheelbarrow matter, which I now read but am not going to comment on. How much do you owe me ??
Maybe you could donate your winnings to the food bank

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lewes pronounced Lewis so many people from away spell with an i .
It’s only a guess, but I’m reckoning that Phil from Worthing, who goes to every home game one stop away from Lewes, probably had an autocorrect issue, and knows the difference.

You, on the other hand, are still on here, having said you wouldn’t post again, focussing on a vowel instead of toffs getting pleasure from an animal’s slow death.

Well done 😉

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It’s only a guess, but I’m reckoning that Phil from Worthing, who goes to every home game one stop away from Lewes, probably had an autocorrect issue, and knows the difference.

You, on the other hand, are still on here, having said you wouldn’t post again, focussing on a vowel instead of toffs getting pleasure from an animal’s slow death.

Well done 😉
Didn`t say I wouldn`t post..... Read original post. I said I wouldn`t post on the matter again. And still don`t intend on doing so.

Past my bedtime... Goodnight

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just to be clear, that ‘dirty work’ which I had the misfortune to witness several times in the past, involves pushing terriers into a fox hole, where the terrier grabs a cub - the fox terrier is then dragged out by his back legs with a young cub screaming in agony in the terrier‘s jaws while the rest of the ‘hunt’ circle the den to ensure none of the others from the den escape. This still goes on to provide fresh blood for the trail hunt. It is brutal. The gameskeepers/terrier workers were often the worse.
Not seen it first hand but follow a number of anti-fox hunting groups who sometimes fail to save the day. Those that hunt are absolute c*nts.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I do not disagree with your comments but as I said in an earlier post if you have ever seen rat hunting with dogs where rats are screaming in agony with broken backs after dogs have half killed them where do you draw the line? Foxes lovely and cuddly, rats vermin. Animal cruelty is is the same whatever the species. Yet my guess is not many would support being kind to rats.
Not sure what point you are making but most fox hunt saboteurs also disrupt badger shootings, mink hunts etc. They see all the animals as being equal.

Foxes are much more appealing and I am shit scared of rats but those rats that I caught in my garden were caught in a humane trap and I let them go in nearby woods.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I can believe it. was invited to do a few stints of monitoring with the Brighton Sabs which involved recording events/taking vids/ photos etc then reporting them to the police, sometimes it was easier to monitor than get involved - one girl we were with one time ended up with severe concussion and having to be rushed to hospital as a hunter swung his horse round and backed into us - his horse bucked kicked her in the head. I was then shoved heavily to the ground and had my camera knocked out of my hand. We would routinely be whacked with riding crops and made to feel threatened by rifles too. Admittedly half the time we were trespassing - which was fine until they introduced the new law of aggravated trespass under the Police and Criminal Justice Act 1994, criminalising trespass in the event of protesting. Now all monitoring equipment can be confiscated by the police.
I do think the term 'saboteur' does not help as lot's of people associate this word with their perception of the 'great unwashed who live off the dole and do nothing valuable' , clearly a wrong perception but personally i think the marketing could be improved to reflect what they really do which is to uphold the law as per 2004 act.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I can believe it. was invited to do a few stints of monitoring with the Brighton Sabs which involved recording events/taking vids/ photos etc then reporting them to the police, sometimes it was easier to monitor than get involved - one girl we were with one time ended up with severe concussion and having to be rushed to hospital as a hunter swung his horse round and backed into us - his horse bucked kicked her in the head. I was then shoved heavily to the ground and had my camera knocked out of my hand. We would routinely be whacked with riding crops and made to feel threatened by rifles too. Admittedly half the time we were trespassing - which was fine until they introduced the new law of aggravated trespass under the Police and Criminal Justice Act 1994, criminalising trespass in the event of protesting. Now all monitoring equipment can be confiscated by the police.
Just to clarify - you are breaking the law to stop someone else breaking the law? Them breaking the law = bad, you breaking the law = ok. Hmmm.

To be clear I’m against fox hunting, it should stay in history. However nature is vicious, the cuddly fox cub will grow up to rip chickens and rabbits to shreds, let’s not kid ourselves on that. But it doesn’t justify killing them for ‘sport’.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am sure “rat hunting” could be dealt with under normal animal cruelty laws.
i don’t like rats, but…….

In general terms, we have a neighbour and friend who is really in to shooting. I have done and enjoyed clay pigeon shooting, but I could never bring myself knowingly and deliberately to kill any living being. I even have been known to rescue a wasp.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Torturing wild animals?? haven`t you heard the actual "Fox hunting is banned".
Do you really believe their main objective was to have a wheelbarrow race !!!
Of course they don’t.

Just like no one believes that trail hunting is not a cover for fox hunting.

Be a Devil and join a wheelbarrow team for the Boxing Day event won’t you?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I do think the term 'saboteur' does not help as lot's of people associate this word with their perception of the 'great unwashed who live off the dole and do nothing valuable' , clearly a wrong perception but personally i think the marketing could be improved to reflect what they really do which is to uphold the law as per 2004 act.
Well that’s what the organisation was called in the 80s/early 90s when I was involved - I have had no contact with them for years so don’t really have anything to say about them now. But, honestly I always felt a bit uncomfortable with the name - it wasn’t the ‘great unwashed bit’ that bothered me, it was the feeling of radicalism it entailed (I was a bit straight-laced when it came to breaking the law and there were a lot of extremist animal rights groups around at the time with some overlap in membership with the Sabs.)
Just to clarify - you are breaking the law to stop someone else breaking the law? Them breaking the law = bad, you breaking the law = ok. Hmmm.
’Hmmm’ NO - if you actually read my earlier posts, I said I was involved in the 80s to early 90s so I am not ‘doing anything’. It was not breaking the law to demonstrate on estates/farmland where there was implied right of access then - Aggravated Trespass was a new offence under the 1994 Act as mentioned above - I gave up hunt sabbing when that law was introduced and went to Uni to …. well study Law actually 🙂

And FYI - Fox hunting wasn’t outlawed until 2004 - long after I stopped hunt sabbing so we weren’t stopping any one from ‘breaking the law‘ vis a vis hunting in the 80s/90s, we were just trying to stop them hunting in those days period.
To be clear I’m against fox hunting, it should stay in history. However nature is vicious, the cuddly fox cub will grow up to rip chickens and rabbits to shreds, let’s not kid ourselves on that. But it doesn’t justify killing them for ‘sport’.
No one who is anti-blood sports is doing it because the animal is ‘cuddly’ - it is because it is inhumane to deliberately set a pack of dogs onto a living animal and watch it torn apart in agony for sport - any animal. Any one who finds enjoyment in that is a sadistic c*nt as far as I‘m concerned.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well that’s what the organisation was called in the 80s/early 90s when I was involved - I have had no contact with them for years so don’t really have anything to say about them now.

’Hmmm’ NO - if you actually read my earlier posts, I said I was involved in the 80s to early 90s so I am not ‘doing anything’. It was not breaking the law to demonstrate on estates/farmland where there was implied right of access then - Aggravated Trespass was a new offence under the 1994 Act as mentioned above - I gave up hunt sabbing when that law was introduced and went to Uni to …. well study Law actually 🙂

No one who is anti-blood sports is doing it because the animal is ‘cuddly’ - it is because it is inhumane to deliberately set a pack of dogs onto a living animal and watch it torn apart in agony for sport - any animal. Any one who finds enjoyment in that is a sadistic c*nt as far as I‘m concerned.
groups still use that term including the one in Brighton .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

So if you saw someone committing a murder on private land you would not interfere because you would not want to commit trespass? They are breaking the law by hunting with dogs, being on private land is irrelevant its a crime.

But be aware a lot of fox hunting happens on public land or land that has NOT given the hunt the right to use it they just assume they can and in the case of National Trust land just ignore the ruling against them.

Foxes are a wild animal so they hunt rabbits, mice, rats etc usually they kill them as quickly as possible. Yes if they get into a chicken coop they will kill everything but not because they are 'vicious' but because they stash food. So if left to it they will take each corpse and bury it for the future.

Its quite weird really because foxes are not very far from dogs and yet normal people would not consider hunting dogs with dogs...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here