Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Southdown & Eridge Hunt's traditional boxing day meet has been stymied

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Chasing foxes with wheelbarrows is a slightly diminished spectacle, and possibly gives the fox an unfair advantage. Will the wheelbarrow drivers be wearing the traditional red coat?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Do you often find your opinions don't go down well with people or is it only when they relate to posh people on horseback torturing wild animals?

Another typical reaction from an anti......Make it out that it is all posh people against the rest.
Torturing wild animals?? haven`t you heard the actual "Fox hunting is banned".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If the Hunt still exists and does stuff then clearly the ban wasn't sufficient and needs tightening up

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
So to be clear, there's a choice between an inclusive family event that will be held in aid of local foodbanks, and a non-inclusive event (to participate must own horses, guns, dogs, a barbour jacket & vote for the tories) in which some wildlife may get ripped to shreds. Some of the latter group may also bring their families.

And despite this, the OP has started a thread in support of the latter event being held on this timeslot?

I'm sure most posters will be able to make up their own mind without too much difficulty.

Do you really believe you "must own horses, guns, dogs, a barbour jacket & vote for the tories"

I`ll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are just whipping up argument.

My last post on the matter.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Do you really believe you "must own horses, guns, dogs, a barbour jacket & vote for the tories"

I`ll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are just whipping up argument.

My last post on the matter.
I bet it isnt

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another typical reaction from an anti......Make it out that it is all posh people against the rest.
Yes, and I know how you get round it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If the Hunt still exists and does stuff then clearly the ban wasn't sufficient and needs tightening up
Or maybe it just requires the existing perfectly adequate laws to be enforced

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Bit of a sideways swipe here but understand the view that fox hunting is a cruel activity but have you ever seen a pack of dogs on a rat hunt? That is extreme. Check on Facebook for a Suffolk and Norfolk rat hunt.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I was a hunt saboteur with the Brighton Hunt Sabs throughout the 80s and early 90s - bundling into vans, gatecrashing meets and disturbing the scents by various means - I was also heavily involved in the campaign to ban hunting with dogs but if anyone thinks that has stopped and cubs are no longer ripped apart by dogs or dragged out of dens by the terriers, then go on a hunt saboteur meeting, you will have your eyes unpleasantly opened.

As for toffs and tories - I don’t think I recall one person on horse back or with the hunts we interrupted from what you might call a ‘working class’ background/low income bracket.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Yes it is banned - that’s why they use a scent - usually from a cub they’ve dug out of a den.
But of course, the hounds don’t differentiate the scent from a dead cub or a live adult. So when they catch up with the live adult, it doesn’t last long
I suppose you could argue it isn’t tortured - but then running for your life from a pack of hounds can’t be a lot of fun really and the pain will only last for a few seconds so hey ho.

Hope the wheelbarrow race runs over a couple of these gentle folk.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you often find your opinions don't go down well with people or is it only when they relate to posh people on horseback torturing wild animals?
He said (amd I quote), "My opinion....... no doubt will not go down well with most NSC ers." That's not all people. He may well find his opinions do go down perfectly well with a lot of people, just not NSCers!

For the record, I am totally glad that bear baiting, badger baiting, dog- and cock-fighting are all banned - as is fox hunting (quite rightly). The spectacle of the horses and houses facing across the fields though, chasing after a scent, is just that, a spectacle and a tradition. If they don't soon learn not to 'accidentally' stumble across an odd (temporarily) live fox, though, then that spectacle and tradition too will have to be banned - it's down to them really - stick to the law, or lose the lot.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Do you really believe that the dogs don´t still get to kill some foxes?
Here in Malta shooting protected species of birds is banned but it happens regularly by morons who kill for fun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He said (amd I quote), "My opinion....... no doubt will not go down well with most NSC ers." That's not all people. He may well find his opinions do go down perfectly well with a lot of people, just not NSCers!

For the record, I am totally glad that bear baiting, badger baiting, dog- and cock-fighting are all banned - as is fox hunting (quite rightly). The spectacle of the horses and houses facing across the fields though, chasing after a scent, is just that, a spectacle and a tradition. If they don't soon learn not to 'accidentally' stumble across an odd (temporarily) live fox, though, then that spectacle and tradition too will have to be banned - it's down to them really - stick to the law, or lose the lot.
I’m not sure I said “all” and I asked a question.

Odd post.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love this story and hope it actually happens, I might even take myself the Lewes for wheelbarrow racing on Boxing Day.

As for the claim that they follow a scented trail, why don’t they use cheese as the scent, or chocolate, or garlic, or anything other than the scent of a freshly slaughtered fox cub? If They’re giving the hounds dead fox as a scent to follow, then why not the scent of garlic and onions? The reason is because they are, to a man and woman, scum of the earth, lowest of the low, mostly chinless Tory ****s who deserve to rot in a pit.

BTW, I live in the country, I own guns (clay pigeon), I don’t mind a ride on a horse, I have a Barbour jacket and Aigle wellies. I don’t now, and never have, felt the need to be a sick murderous piece of excrement.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've had the misfortune to have been surrounded whilst fishing, by a pack of 40+ dogs on a 'scent hunt'. The dogs don't differentiate between an artificial scent, or any animal that gets in their path. The sound of rabbits and waterfowl being ripped apart by these dogs is not something I'd wish others to hear.
These 'toffs', regardless of the political party and believe me, they're not all tories, should be treated with the same respect you would give some one convicted of a hate crime

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Tell you what, should our very own @Steve Foster like to be raced down the high street in a barrow lined with hunt horse manure, I will donate £20 each to both the Lewes foodbank and his local Withdean one.

Tis the season of goodwill after all.

I myself felt disappointed I had to stop volunteering at our local Foodbank when our local patronising Tory c*** Hugh Merriman was invited to have his picture taken & video made appealing for more donations, around the time of the school meals scandal.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m not sure I said “all” and I asked a question.

Odd post.
You asked about people, in general. He specified NSCers only. All NSCers are people, of course, but all people (and there's a lot of them!) aren't NSCers (and their views do not always concur with the concensus on NSC!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here