Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Southdown & Eridge Hunt's traditional boxing day meet has been stymied

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Latest goings on in the County Town.

For those interested, the latest news is that the annual Southdown and Eridge Hunt's Boxing day meet in the High Street has been stymied by a group called 'Action Against Fox Hunting' linked to the Hunt Saboteurs. It seems the S&EH were too late getting their application in for the road closure and have been beaten to it by said group who have blocked the high street off from 11-12 to have wheelbarrow racing in aid of local foodbanks. This is the same time that the hunt traditionally meets. Now personally, I don't support the Hunt or any cruelty to animals, but seeing as Hunting was banned way back in 2004, I don't have a problem with a bunch of toffs meeting outside the White Hart and then charging across the local fields following a scent. As long as they're not breaking the law, live and let live eh. It's a very popular event for local people who don't necessarily support the hunt but come with their children to view the spectacle. The latest is that in order to circumvent this, the hunt have applied to the council for the road closure between 10 and 10.30, hearing about this the 'Action Against Fox Hunting group' have requested a closure of the road extension from 9 to 11. Both updated requests are with the council to make a judgement on. So... we might end up with 3 hours of wheelbarrow racing in the high street on Boxing Day :D

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whatever it is I’m against it.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
That fox hunting ban almost 20 years ago really ruined the toffs fun didn't it! Now they have to follow a 'pre-laid scent trail'. Oh and sometimes a fox just happens to appear unexpectedly that the dogs chase after! What bad luck that they ended up in that spot.

No different to bull fighting in Spain or smashing the shit out of Dolphins elsewhere in the world.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Lewes on the day of the hunt is the day the political divide becomes visual and you realise how Lewes as a constituency ends up Tory despite being massively anti-Tory as a town. It's like a vast swarm of Tories gather in the middle of the town for the morning fuelled by sherry, the Daily Telegraph and a desperation for the admiration of Suella Braverman. It's not just the ones on horses, it's the supporters too in their Hunter boots, Barbour, plaid shirts, tweed jackets, big Land Rovers etc. And then they all disappear again just as quick a couple of hours later leaving behind angry protestors, a trail of horse manure, and incontrovertible evidence that their nannies didn't cuddle them enough when they were children.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

Lewes on the day of the hunt is the day the political divide becomes visual and you realise how Lewes as a constituency ends up Tory despite being massively anti-Tory as a town. It's like a vast swarm of Tories gather in the middle of the town for the morning fuelled by sherry, the Daily Telegraph and a desperation for the admiration of Suella Braverman. It's not just the ones on horses, it's the supporters too in their Hunter boots, Barbour, plaid shirts, tweed jackets, big Land Rovers etc. And then they all disappear again just as quick a couple of hours later leaving behind angry protestors, a trail of horse manure, and incontrovertible evidence that their nannies didn't cuddle them enough when they were children.

That's quite an accurate and funny appraisal actually. :D

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The answer being that Lewes as a town isn't a constituency but that it extends over a very rural area, the very same area that all those that swarm into the town on boxing day descend from.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
This is what Lewes has now.

The political representation on Lewes District Council is:
Green - 17 councillors
Liberal Democrats - 15 councillors
Labour - 9 councillors

Not a single Tory....reckon this lot are about as anti Hunt as you can get.

My opinion which no doubt will not go down well with most NSC ers. Is the Hunt meeting at Christmas is a spectacle and a tradition I would like to continue.
Also I prefer the supporters of the hunt (not the Hunters) to most (and again not all) of the Saboteurs

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because they traditionally meet at 11am every year

That's what I said :facepalm:
The hunt hasn't been 'blocked' or 'stood in the way of'...

TeamWheelbarrow is just better at admin.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Do you really believe their main objective was to have a wheelbarrow race !!!

Their name 'Action Against Fox Hunting" and the "time and the date" Day and time Hunt has met for the last umpteen years, may have something to do with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you really believe their main objective was to have a wheelbarrow race !!!

Their name 'Action Against Fox Hunting" and the "time and the date" Day and time Hunt has met for the last umpteen years, may have something to do with it.
Of course not.
The point being the hunt don't own the timeslot, so they can't be blocked from using it.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Oh but it has, I would say this group aren't really interested in Wheelbarrow racing/Foodbanks as such, this was done to 'block the hunt' and they're now full of glee about it on their facebook pages.
Definately more quick thinking.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Green - 17 councillors
Labour - 9 councillors

My opinion which no doubt will not go down well with most NSC ers. Is the Hunt meeting at Christmas is a spectacle and a tradition I would like to continue.
Also I prefer the supporters of the hunt (not the Hunters) to most (and again not all) of the Saboteurs
I hear Bear baiting was good fun too - and why oh why did we ban cock fighting.
Even dog fighting has had to go underground - it's a disgrace - these traditions should have been allowed to continue.
Great spectacles.

It's the fault of these wokes we keep reading about I reckon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Green - 17 councillors
Labour - 9 councillors

Do you often find your opinions don't go down well with people or is it only when they relate to posh people on horseback torturing wild animals?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So to be clear, there's a choice between an inclusive family event that will be held in aid of local foodbanks, and a non-inclusive event (to participate must own horses, guns, dogs, a barbour jacket & vote for the tories) in which some wildlife may get ripped to shreds. Some of the latter group may also bring their families.

And despite this, the OP has started a thread in support of the latter event being held on this timeslot?

I'm sure most posters will be able to make up their own mind without too much difficulty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here