The Slave trade has been a benefit to Blacks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
You might want to take up basic AS level Sociology to find out why ethnic minorities under-achieve. There's a general consensus from most theorists as to why....

Seems a bit of an effort. Can you not just tell us what it is????

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
[deep breath and prepare to wade into the abyss]

Firstly, ignoring the issues equipment, training, and of course willpower, let us accept that there is a limiting factor in exceptional performance that is genetically controlled physiology. i.e. stride length, lung capacity, alignment of tendons or whatever. The truly exceptional, record-breaking athletes are then those that have a freakishly rare/fortuitous combination of genes.

Secondly,with apologies to creationists and other nut-jobs, let us accept (not blindly, in the face of overwhelming evidence) that humans first evolved somewhere in Africa, and that from there we spread and gradually became different races. One of the sub-groups of the races we became is popularly known as white, perhaps more accurately white-european. Part of becoming a separate race is that the gene-pool substantially narrowed as the original travellers died from new environmental pressures and the bred with one-another.

So what we have, comparing 'black' with 'white' is that when 'whites' are dealt their hand from the genetic lottery there is less variety of cards in the pack, while 'blacks' are picking from a full deck. So in conclusion, a very broad conclusion with many caveats and further explanations that would take up several PhD theses, it is more possible to be a world-class black athlete than a world-class white athlete. (I use possible deliberately, not probable, just the one thesis probably required to explain that one)

To be fair the evidence of humans originating from the Rift Valley is not so overwhelming these days.

Not from religous nutjobs but from archeology. As below:

PLoS ONE: The Age of the 20 Meter Solo River Terrace, Java, Indonesia and the Survival of Homo erectus in Asia

There was an article on the radio recently where an archologist was explaining how new finds are shifting previously held assumptions, and how as these new findings are interpreted and new testing carried out, so our established views will change (as they have about the big bang). Whilst there is plenty of evidence that humans eveloved from Africa this evidence suuprt theories, and theories can change.

So, not saying you are wrong, just saying an open mind is required, a few hundreds years ago Galilieo was mugged off for suggesting that the earth went round the sun, plenty of prominant scientists (of their time) countrered his view.

I'm not conceited enough to think that "we" have answered all the questions yet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Am I missing somethnig here or am I wrong - Isn't it a fact that Black / White people are slightly different scientifically - One has more fast twitch fibres and one has more slow twitch fibres - hence why black people are better sprinters...?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why was it racist? It wasnt denigrating anyone in any way, I've seen programmes where the reason given for west african sprinters being better is that they have higher or better levels of twitch muscle in their legs, in the same vein , east african long distance runners are better because they live and grew up at high altitude, black people dont make very competitive swimmers because their bone structure is heavier and not suited to it, nothing racist in that, a simple fact of life.

What has it got to do with slavery then? Black slaves didn't become good at sprinting because they survived the slave ships. This is anal vomit of the highest order. I agree however that certain races are predisposed to performing better at certain activities.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
To be fair the evidence of humans originating from the Rift Valley is not so overwhelming these days.

Fair point, of which I was faintly aware and should have known someone in NSC would call it. Don't think its very likely this would impact on the point that 'white' is a narrow offshoot of man.

I'm keeping an open mind, while also hoping someone will prove Flying Spaghetti Monsterism.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

You don't have the brains to start a discussion. You simply try and set up binfests. Enjoyable as they can be sometimes it does not detract from the fact that you are an ill-educated, bigoted, somewhat confused ignoramus. Ask the descendants of these people who they think benefited out of the slave trade....

The actual number of men, women and children who were snatched from their homes in Africa and transported in slave ships across the Atlantic, either to the Caribbean islands or to North and South America, will never be known. Writers vary in their estimates, but there is no doubt that their number runs into millions. The following figures are taken from Morel's calculations as reproduced by Professor Melville J. Herskovits and cover the period 1666-1800:

1666-1776: Slaves imported only by the English for the English, French and Spanish colonies:

3 million (250,000 died on the voyage).
1680-1786: Slaves imported for the English colonies in America:
2,130,000 (Jamaica alone absorbed 610,000).
1716-1756: Average annual number of slaves imported for the American colonies: 70,000, with a total of 3.5 million.
1752-1762: Jamaica alone imported 71,115 slaves.
1759-1762: Guadeloupe alone imported 40,000 slaves.
1776-1800: A yearly average of 74,000 slaves were imported for the American colonies, or a total of 1,850,000; this yearly average was divided up as follows: by the English, 38,000; French, 20,000; Portuguese, 10,000; Dutch, 4,000; Danes, 2,000.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What has it got to do with slavery then? Black slaves didn't become good at sprinting because they survived the slave ships. This is anal vomit of the highest order. I agree however that certain races are predisposed to performing better at certain activities.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Black slaves didn't become good at sprinting because they survived the slave ships.

Back to original point of article posted by (the somewhat odious) OP. The point about descendants of slaves in the caribean being more athletically able is that.
1: They only put strong looking slaves on the boat in the 1st place.
2: If you weren't physically resilient you died on the boat.
3: If you weren't a good worker you didn't get fed enough, got flogged more and soon died.
So plenty of (un)natural selection there. The point is if your great great (great x whatever) grandparents were enslaved and managed to breed they were hardcore fit and healthy fine specimens of humanity.

Correct. It's all the running away from the police they do.

Congratulations on first overtly racist comment so far.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Nothing, the original poster was was trying to get a reaction, I , however was responding to somebody completely different, a little care reading my post and you would have realised that.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nothing, the original poster was was trying to get a reaction, I , however was responding to somebody completely different, a little care reading my post and you would have realised that.

I'm afraid I do tend to skim your posts for obvious reasons.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Back to original point of article posted by (the somewhat odious) OP. The point about descendants of slaves in the caribean being more athletically able is that.
1: They only put strong looking slaves on the boat in the 1st place.
2: If you weren't physically resilient you died on the boat.
3: If you weren't a good worker you didn't get fed enough, got flogged more and soon died.
So plenty of (un)natural selection there. The point is if your great great (great x whatever) grandparents were enslaved and managed to breed they were hardcore fit and healthy fine specimens of humanity.

I see what you mean I just happen to disagree that it would have had such an extensive effect as Jonson is suggesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports