Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sidwell Goal

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
According to my copy of: "The supporters' guide to premier and football league clubs" hand book, the Ashton Gate pitch is 115 x 75 yards. That makes the distance from the half-way line to the goal line 57 yards & 18 inches. Just need to subtract from that how far the ball was from the half-way line when Siddo kicked it. 4 yards 6 inches looks about right so your suggested 53 yards 1 foot looks realistically accurate.

The centre circle is marked at 9.15 metres (10 yd) from the centre mark. I measured the distance using a ruler on my screen.

Last edited:

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for Robert Codner's wonder strike away at Plymouth in 1994. I was behind the goal and it was similar to Sidwell's and Beckham's but I think he was further back.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
There are a few goals which make you think...I am glad I was there to see that!

Sidwell's goal yesterday was one of them!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You had to be behind the goal to appreciate it fully.

Not necessarily so. In fact, I would argue that I had a better view than you.
I was in the stand, to the south of the half-way line, almost level with the edge of the box. From my angle of seating, I was almost directly behind Casey when he hit the ball. I was able to follow every dip and swerve, as it crashed in.
No one will ever persuade me that I didn't have the best view in the house.
ps...do you think Sidwell's goal looked better from behind the striker, at the away end or from the Bristol angle, behind the goal? I know which I would chose.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Only 35 yards, I heard.

Correct.
In ' Seagulls! The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion '.....it describes the goal as follows......' Bob McNicol picked up a clearance from keeper Adam Blacklaw well inside his own half and set off for the Burnley goal. From fully 35 yards, Bob unleashed a shot which flew past the stranded Blacklaw....'

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In terms of seeing live it is probably in the top three. Ince's at Swindon was pretty special and I still love Zamora's volley when the ball dropped over his head.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Zamora scored a great one at Withdean against Halifax (I think) and I've seen plenty of great strikes including Case's at Highbury, but I have been watching us for 35 years and Sidwell's goal is the only one scored in that style and from that distance, so it is definitely right up there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
How do you 'measure' best goal, surely it comes down to most memorable and as Sidwell's was yesterday it probably is the most memorable.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I envy all of you who were there to witness that live. You must have gone crazy. I watched it in a local bar and went bananas when that sailed in, causing much mirth amongst other customers as I jumped up and punched the air, shouting "get in there Albion"! It had a goal written all over it as soon as it left Sidwell's boot. That was a truly spectacular strike and I must have watched it at least 20 times today. You must admit it looks better with each viewing. What a great goal and a fantastic result against, let's not forget, a pretty good Bristol City team, who were W5 D1 L1 at home before yesterday.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Very much against the grain of the thread but was anyone else's reaction to laugh when it went in? The fall of the city keeper put it in the comedy rather than great goal category on 1st viewing. Shame really as everyone jacked off for months when Alonso and Beckham did it and here I am being churlish about a goal scored by one of our own due to the Del boy type fall.

As for the celebration, I thought that was the best I've ever seen. This lot are a team in every sense. It was a travesty that the hoof ball Burnley and rent a thug Hull team went up last year in our place. Surely lightning won't strike twice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very much against the grain of the thread but was anyone else's reaction to laugh when it went in? The fall of the city keeper put it in the comedy rather than great goal category on 1st viewing. Shame really as everyone jacked off for months when Alonso and Beckham did it and here I am being churlish about a goal scored by one of our own due to the Del boy type fall.

As for the celebration, I thought that was the best I've ever seen. This lot are a team in every sense. It was a travesty that the hoof ball Burnley and rent a thug Hull team went up last year in our place. Surely lightning won't strike twice.
The laughter for us came when, as City had the Sky feed on their big screens, the cheers as it went in the net got louder on every replay. Priceless 😁😁

Agree re celebration. A massive #together moment. Wurzel said on the highlights programme that sight would scare the other Championship managers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Steve Sidwell even said today on Sunday Supplement thanks to their goalkeeper doing his best Trotter falling down the hatch impression ! I laughed, as Sidwell is the subject of a few jokes within my group of friends, including an Fulham season ticket holder and I just couldn't believe that he had done it, and it had gone in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here