Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'The shadow of Gus Poyet hangs over Brighton'

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Are you basing all your opinions on the result of a single game of football? I'm not sure that's an opinion worth debating with.

do you think i would do that ..? my opinion is that he wanted the holy grail and when he had it within his grasp he ****in dropped it ,end of..

moving on , it has become evident that he wanted out in march....you are either for the club or against ... i am for the club...end of.... have been since 1974 btw...x

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Poyet's shadow will only hang/loom/be cast over the club for as long as people make it the case.

He's gone, whether we like it or not, just like every manager before him and every manager to come will eventually move on.

The "Poyet era" was probably coming to a natural conclusion, whatever forced the issue. A chapter ends, another begins. I don't see why people are still getting worked up about it. As Gus himself once said: tha fooball.

Poyet brought about his own downfall.
Poyet said he would go to the premiership with or without Brighton.
Poyet Upset the players.
Poyet caused the split between Bloom, the rest of the Brighton board and himself.
Poyet ranted after the Palace play off defeat.
Poyet is reported to have refused to inform certain players that their services were no longer required by the club or that they were being offered new deals.
Poyet should have said nothing and waited for offers to come his way.
Poyet appealed against his sacking hoping to be reinstated as Manager.

I doubt whether Poyet would be kicking up this fuss if he was now employed elsewhere.
We can only speculate on what happened between the club and Poyet but from what has been reported it sounds as if Poyet has only got himself to blame.

These are the views of an aging homosexual Vicar from Wales and could be a load of bollocks

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I haven't bothered reading the thread. All I know is the whole sorry business has screwed up our pre season and plans for this season, we are well behind other teams in this division in planning for the season and such fine lines make a big big difference in a league where there is very little to choice between the teams. It could well be the difference between success and failure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good read and that was the first I've heard that legal proceedings have been instigated. Is this fact or more bluster from Gus?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I haven't bothered reading the thread. All I know is the whole sorry business has screwed up our pre season and plans for this season, we are well behind other teams in this division in planning for the season and such fine lines make a big big difference in a league where there is very little to choice between the teams. It could well be the difference between success and failure.

I haven't bothered reading your post past the first 6 words, but I'm quoting it anyway.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
But nobody knows what the gross misconduct charges are, so how can we be pro-Poyet?

How many more times, until we know the details - which we may never - then it is impossible to judge. The only point that is being made it is a fiasco, and nobody comes out of it with any goodwill or credit.

And yes, I am pro-Poyet, pro-Oscar, pro-club. You can be all of things without being disloyal to one or the other.

This is what I don't get: hopefully you can enlighten me. Nobody knows for sure what the charges against Gus (or Tanno or Oatway) were. And yet you still judge the situation to be a fiasco. How do you make that judgement, when you don't know the charges?

If we just, for one moment, for argument's sake, accept that one or more things occurred which (in the view of a reasonable employer) might constitute misconduct; is it not then reasonable to expect the club to act upon that, and follow a process accordingly? If so, given that we have no idea what occurred, how can we judge the situation to be a fiasco?

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm not sure that the way things were handled has had much (if any) impact on pre-season preparations. Garcia was appointed during the first week of pre-season (missing only the fitness testing). There is no evidence that player recruitment has been affected. And whilst some have criticised our pre-season friendly schedule, I think the very early start for the League campaign has had more impact on that than the timing of the appointment of a new boss.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm not sure that the way things were handled has had much (if any) impact on pre-season preparations. Garcia was appointed during the first week of pre-season (missing only the fitness testing). There is no evidence that player recruitment has been affected. And whilst some have criticised our pre-season friendly schedule, I think the very early start for the League campaign has had more impact on that than the timing of the appointment of a new boss.

I disagree. We have a manager who hasn't brought any players of his own in yet. El-Abd and Spanish Dave looked like they'd gone, then miraculously re-signed. Rumours of Vicente re-signing still persist. Does Oscar want Chicksen at this club, or Andrews? Yet again we go back to the Swansea 'well' to sign Agustien.

I hope Oscar works out that we need to sign a left back and a striker, and does so before the window shuts. It might just sort this shambles of a summer.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I disagree. We have a manager who hasn't brought any players of his own in yet. El-Abd and Spanish Dave looked like they'd gone, then miraculously re-signed. Rumours of Vicente re-signing still persist. Does Oscar want Chicksen at this club, or Andrews? Yet again we go back to the Swansea 'well' to sign Agustien.

I hope Oscar works out that we need to sign a left back and a striker, and does so before the window shuts. It might just sort this shambles of a summer.

Not Andy Naylor posted this on another thread:-

Keith Andrews speaking to the media in the players' tunnel after the game: “This club made a big effort to bring me here and I reacted to that quite instantaneously and decided to uproot and come down here."

“We [Oscar and Andrews] spoke on the phone at length about my role at the club and what he wants to do, I spoke to the assistant, I’ve met the chairman and I’ve been blown away by all of them in terms of what they have to say about the place, and then obviously as an outsider looking in over the last few years it’s a place I’ve really admired and the way they’ve gone about things and the progress that seems to have been made at the club."

Andrews may not have been top of Oscar's list, but it doesn't sound like a David Burke signing, or Andrews would surely have mentioned him.

Which would suggest that Garcia DOES want Andrews. And after David re-signed, he stated that he had spoken to Oscar on the 'phone, who told him he wanted him to sign.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the signing of Andrews is, on balance, a good one but I'd be staggered if Oscar drove this one.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I feel extremely sorry for OG. He has walked into a situation not of his making and could end up as the scapegoat in the battle between poyet, board and fans. It seems to me from the small bits revealed thus far that poyet was always going to leave and to have control of both the situation and finance the club took the action they did and followed employment law to dismiss an employee. The problem is/was that this took an age to complete and pre-season planning was seriously affected as was recruitment. I don't see that we had enough football in pre-season, Whitehawk then 10 days until the next game followed by a match in week leading up to the season, not ideal and not a plan I guess OG or poyet for that matter would have liked. Recruitment was affected whatever is said, the club either waited until the new manager could have an input to the process or decided that recruiting players not identified when poyet was on board could help his case, either way not great.
The crowd is divided, some seem to enjoy the current problems since it helps their pro-poyet agenda, others will do the same when things turn round. The players are struggling with the change in style, going from a very disciplined rigid formation to one with more flexibility that asks them to be more progressive in their passing etc. The back four was great last year mainly since when we did not have the ball we dropped deep with all bar ulloa behind the ball. The have not yet got to grips with this and in trying to find the killer pass early end up giving the ball away cheaply.

It is going to take time both to move on from poyet and for the team and crowd to understand what Oscar wants, I hope he gets it.

Good post.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As others have said we do not have anything like the full picture in terms of what happened with Poyet. One thing I am fairly certain of is that Tony Bloom would've had quality legal advice all the way through. Lawyers are not in the habit of calling minor misconduct gross misconduct or of advising employers to dismiss someone summarily (ie without notice) unless there is a bloody strong case. It's easy for Poyet to say he refutes everything because no-one knows what happened and he can talk his case up with little fear of contradiction. By the sound of it Poyet's lawyers have not yet concluded that they should appeal the club's decision in the court (Tribunal) - if they had a strong case there would be no ambiguity about Poyet's position and there is.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
This is what I don't get: hopefully you can enlighten me. Nobody knows for sure what the charges against Gus (or Tanno or Oatway) were. And yet you still judge the situation to be a fiasco. How do you make that judgement, when you don't know the charges?

If we just, for one moment, for argument's sake, accept that one or more things occurred which (in the view of a reasonable employer) might constitute misconduct; is it not then reasonable to expect the club to act upon that, and follow a process accordingly? If so, given that we have no idea what occurred, how can we judge the situation to be a fiasco?

We will have to agree to disagree, because I think there is plenty of evidence. How can there not be, if as everybody seems to be pointing out, we didn't have a working manager for 6 weeks? Yes David Burke will still be making his recommendations on signings, but to who?

And to correct your rant, I haven't judged it as a fiasco, I said it was a point being made. If you look through any of my posts, I have been clear that I am not making any judgements because I don't know the facts.

At the risk of repeating myself, publicly it has not looked good for either party, whichever way you dress it up.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We will have to agree to disagree, because I think there is plenty of evidence. How can there not be, if as everybody seems to be pointing out, we didn't have a working manager for 6 weeks? Yes David Burke will still be making his recommendations on signings, but to who?

And to correct your rant, I haven't judged it as a fiasco, I said it was a point being made. If you look through any of my posts, I have been clear that I am not making any judgements because I don't know the facts.

At the risk of repeating myself, publicly it has not looked good for either party, whichever way you dress it up.

I interpreted your post as YOU saying it was a fiasco, but if you are not, then fair enough.

On the other point, I'm not sure that too much would have happened in that 6 weeks if we DID have a manager, but there's no way we'll ever know for sure.

I didn't think I was ranting, but if that's how it came across, so be it. :thumbsup: I'm sure there's one thing we can all agree upon; we're passionate about our support for the club we love; nothing wrong with hearty discussion, as long as it remains civilised.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I think he's been thoroughly ruined by that play off second leg defeat. I think his confidence has gone. Time for a new keeper

I agree he is in bad form but that is an alarmingly knee jerk response to the situation. Give him time and we'll soon have our old PIG back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here