Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'The shadow of Gus Poyet hangs over Brighton'

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Kusczak is the one that alarmed me the most, he looked totally out of it Saturday and not his usual self, infact his worst game for the club by a long way. He was also sold the Poyet vision and Poyet was responsible for getting the best goalkeeper outside the premiership to come to BHAFC.

I think he's been thoroughly ruined by that play off second leg defeat. I think his confidence has gone. Time for a new keeper

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Well, I have been painted as anti-Poyet despite repeatedly spelling out my admiration for his achievements as a manager. I still believe the breach of contract and gross misconduct charges are justified. I have faith in Tony and the board, so if that makes me anti-Poyet so be it, even if it is gross over-simplification.

It doesn't matter if anybody is pro or anti, or indeed if they think he should have been sacked or not. The issue is how the club went about things... and as lots of people said at the time, the club massively botched it. Just like every other club in the world do... the Albion should have simply done a deal and paid him up. That could have happened the day after the play off defeat. Choosing not to do this was always clearly going to lead to a messy drawn-out saga that will ultimately cost more than the value of Gus' contract when the inevitable out-of-court settlement is made in a year's time or so - in financial terms, but also goodwill, respect, and - as we've seen from the first two games - league points, as Oscar tries to pick up the pieces at fairly short notice.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It doesn't matter if anybody is pro or anti, or indeed if they think he should have been sacked or not. The issue is how the club went about things... and as lots of people said at the time, the club massively botched it. Just like every other club in the world do... the Albion should have simply done a deal and paid him up. That could have happened the day after the play off defeat. Choosing not to do this was always clearly going to lead to a messy drawn-out saga that will ultimately cost more than the value of Gus' contract when the inevitable out-of-court settlement is made in a year's time or so - in financial terms, but also goodwill, respect, and - as we've seen from the first two games - league points, as Oscar tries to pick up the pieces at fairly short notice.

right.....so TB plonks up another 2 mill....on top of the bulk he has already put up.....FFS ....FFS....ffs... I GIVE UP..!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can a shadow "hang", or is that something of a mixed metaphor, linguistics fans?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The pro-Poyet label is for those who side with him and against the club in regards to the gross misconduct charges. Nothing to do with Gus' managerial ability. I think you know this but are being deliberately provocative.

You and I both know where each other stands. Pro-Poyet, unashamedly so. Anti-club, of course not, I admire TB, I think they made a mistake with this. In the case of this thread - we are being tarred with the idea that we are revelling in our poor-start when that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not only pro-Poyet, I'm also pro-Oscar.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
The pro-Poyet label is for those who side with him and against the club in regards to the gross misconduct charges. Nothing to do with Gus' managerial ability. I think you know this but are being deliberately provocative.

But nobody knows what the gross misconduct charges are, so how can we be pro-Poyet?

How many more times, until we know the details - which we may never - then it is impossible to judge. The only point that is being made it is a fiasco, and nobody comes out of it with any goodwill or credit.

And yes, I am pro-Poyet, pro-Oscar, pro-club. You can be all of things without being disloyal to one or the other.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't help thinking that if the ref had blown for that handball on Saturday, or if Ulloa's header had gone in and not hit the post then none of this guff about 'hangover' would have been written.

We've had 3 awful refereeing decisions that have directly affected the outcome of the 3 matches in our opponents' favour - we'd normally be looking at 2 draws and a 2nd Round tie in the League Cup.

What I do see is a squad about 2 weeks off the pace because of the changes to the coaching personnel and the training programme. In that regard I thought both Derby and Leeds were both ahead of us. However, none of that has got anything to do with the Poyet court case.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Nothing new for us there but a good balanced article nonetheless.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
well , if you believe what you read in the papers......and what the chairman has said....and the ****ing shit-house performance we dished up at home , in the play offs , against our arch-rivals.....

how much more evidence do you need ..?? 7 game unbeaten streak....v 9 game streak without a win.....at home = ****ing woeful performance in the second richest game in british football.....get your head out yer arse mate...

poyet ****ed up big time....it was on a plate and he dropped his fork....end of.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah. Or they are "cast".

I don't mind 'hang' - it suggests the shadow can be whipped away at a moments notice (as if it is being cast by the cloak of a matador?). I'd suggest a looming shadow is more likely to be there for a longer period.

Either way - it's bollocks.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
well , if you believe what you read in the papers......and what the chairman has said....and the ****ing shit-house performance we dished up at home , in the play offs , against our arch-rivals.....

how much more evidence do you need ..?? 7 game unbeaten streak....v 9 game streak without a win.....at home = ****ing woeful performance in the second richest game in british football.....get your head out yer arse mate...

poyet ****ed up big time....it was on a plate and he dropped his fork....end of.

Are you basing all your opinions on the result of a single game of football? I'm not sure that's an opinion worth debating with.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
'Done a deal' - does that say pay up his contract. I didn't read it that way.

Paid him up suggests pay his contract. Done a deal doesn't.

Exactly. Doing a deal means... negotiating a settlement that falls between the starting demands of the 2 parties - i presume one party wants to pay nothing and the other party wants to receive the full value of his contract. So, you know, you settle somewhere inbetween and everybody goes home happy.

Hasn't this all been done to death anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here