Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'The shadow of Gus Poyet hangs over Brighton'

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I feel extremely sorry for OG. He has walked into a situation not of his making and could end up as the scapegoat in the battle between poyet, board and fans. It seems to me from the small bits revealed thus far that poyet was always going to leave and to have control of both the situation and finance the club took the action they did and followed employment law to dismiss an employee. The problem is/was that this took an age to complete and pre-season planning was seriously affected as was recruitment. I don't see that we had enough football in pre-season, Whitehawk then 10 days until the next game followed by a match in week leading up to the season, not ideal and not a plan I guess OG or poyet for that matter would have liked. Recruitment was affected whatever is said, the club either waited until the new manager could have an input to the process or decided that recruiting players not identified when poyet was on board could help his case, either way not great.
The crowd is divided, some seem to enjoy the current problems since it helps their pro-poyet agenda, others will do the same when things turn round. The players are struggling with the change in style, going from a very disciplined rigid formation to one with more flexibility that asks them to be more progressive in their passing etc. The back four was great last year mainly since when we did not have the ball we dropped deep with all bar ulloa behind the ball. The have not yet got to grips with this and in trying to find the killer pass early end up giving the ball away cheaply.

It is going to take time both to move on from poyet and for the team and crowd to understand what Oscar wants, I hope he gets it.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The shadow of Gus Poyet really?

Got nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned, for me the club did right in sacking Poyet but it should and could have been dealt with so much better,
their has been so many new changes at the club this season not just the manager job to fall in-line with this so called FFP and with the slow start in signing players and the ones that have signed just seem ok and losing the first two games has not helped, we need the place buzzing again and hopefully with some exciting players to come in and to get back to our winning ways will do the trick.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
what a load of bollocks........when did poyet actually march up and down the side line..? answer ...he ****ing didn't , he was just using us as a conduit to the next level , a conduit that has been abruptly snapped shut....

he needs to learn to keep his gob shut.....for instance , don't bite the hand that feeds you .....you twatt.....:bigwave:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It is a good article, but I don't think it's necessarily true that the spectre of GP still hangs over the club, or that it's a GP hangover that has been a cause of our poor results so far. It was always going to be difficult parting with GP on whatever terms, but I'd suggest the club has done so in the best way they possibly could have, given the circumstances and his (alleged, and unrefuted) actions.

If anything in fact, the article is a statement of positivity. Garcia is a bold move but one that could pay off spectacularly; Broghton are a club who hold a lot of goodwill from other fans around the country etc. I'd rather be gambling on a young, unproven manager with a specific football philosophy (remember - it worked damn well last time) than settling for a Bruce, a Holloway or (god forbid) a Redknapp.

Canny move; then you move all the assets out of BHAFC and let Gus sue a shell company..goodwill used to be shown at nil value on balance-sheets in my accounting days.
The manner of Poyet's dismissal on TV in front of a national audience and the involvement of the LMA I think will make this a "test case" for what actually a "Manager" is supposed to do or be responsible for at a club. For the moment I think the support other than at Albion will be for Gus. Certainly Gus's frequent comments about "moving on eventually" and his backing for his compatriot Luis Suarez could be deemed to cast a sghadow over his job, but "gross misconduct"?

As for being in the wilderness there have been a number of cases , George Graham in particular, where extremely talented men have been lost to the game through allegations of misconduct. But Poyet being from the Hispanic area will I'm sure find employment in Spain or elsewhere if not in the UK.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Canny move; then you move all the assets out of BHAFC and let Gus sue a shell company..goodwill used to be shown at nil value on balance-sheets in my accounting days.
The manner of Poyet's dismissal on TV in front of a national audience and the involvement of the LMA I think will make this a "test case" for what actually a "Manager" is supposed to do or be responsible for at a club. For the moment I think the support other than at Albion will be for Gus. Certainly Gus's frequent comments about "moving on eventually" and his backing for his compatriot Luis Suarez could be deemed to cast a sghadow over his job, but "gross misconduct"?

As for being in the wilderness there have been a number of cases , George Graham in particular, where extremely talented men have been lost to the game through allegations of misconduct. But Poyet being from the Hispanic area will I'm sure find employment in Spain or elsewhere if not in the UK.

bravo...!!....:clap: :bigwave:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Interesting comment about support for Gus from elsewhere in the country...i was at a wedding over the weekend and several of the people i chatted to asked what we had done to Gus...interesting perception people seem to have

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The hangover feeling will last as long as we are not winning. The pro-Poyet brigade will load their ammunition and the ' happy-to-see Oscar in situ ' brigade will keep their powder dry, until results pick up.
The undercurrent of frustration from the 2nd leg v Palace will simmer on and not be easily forgotten.

The crowd is divided, some seem to enjoy the current problems since it helps their pro-poyet agenda, others will do the same when things turn round. The players are struggling with the change in style, going from a very disciplined rigid formation to one with more flexibility that asks them to be more progressive in their passing etc. The back four was great last year mainly since when we did not have the ball we dropped deep with all bar ulloa behind the ball. The have not yet got to grips with this and in trying to find the killer pass early end up giving the ball away cheaply.

It is going to take time both to move on from poyet and for the team and crowd to understand what Oscar wants, I hope he gets it.

Both of you mention a pro-Poyet brigade with an agenda, as if we're happy to see Brighton struggle. While there might be a few masochistic types out there, really that is absurd. Looking round this board it seems that plenty of the people posting for patience and to give OG time are exactly those pro-Poyet types, whereas others posting doom and gloom include some of his fiercest enemies on here. I think there is a subset of Brighton fans who are delighted to see Gus go and convinced that Oscar will immediately storm the league in order to prove TB right. Those are perhaps the people most disappointed right now. A little bit of circumspection didn't do anyone any harm.

Personally I feel Gus has (by some) been misunderstood, undervalued, subjected to higher standards than others and treated unfairly. I also accept that if divisions between him and TB couldn't be resolved he should have left for the good of the club and we move on. But sacking him the way we did it, with the timescale we did it in, has left this shadow that will undeniably hang around until we start winning. But we're just fans. What I want to know is how much this shadow is hanging over the players, especially the likes of Greer, Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Calderon - players who must have been very loyal to their ex-manager.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Both of you mention a pro-Poyet brigade with an agenda, as if we're happy to see Brighton struggle. While there might be a few masochistic types out there, really that is absurd. Looking round this board it seems that plenty of the people posting for patience and to give OG time are exactly those pro-Poyet types, whereas others posting doom and gloom include some of his fiercest enemies on here. I think there is a subset of Brighton fans who are delighted to see Gus go and convinced that Oscar will immediately storm the league in order to prove TB right. Those are perhaps the people most disappointed right now. A little bit of circumspection didn't do anyone any harm.

Personally I feel Gus has (by some) been misunderstood, undervalued, subjected to higher standards than others and treated unfairly. I also accept that if divisions between him and TB couldn't be resolved he should have left for the good of the club and we move on. But sacking him the way we did it, with the timescale we did it in, has left this shadow that will undeniably hang around until we start winning. But we're just fans. What I want to know is how much this shadow is hanging over the players, especially the likes of Greer, Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Calderon - players who must have been very loyal to their ex-manager.

Kusczak is the one that alarmed me the most, he looked totally out of it Saturday and not his usual self, infact his worst game for the club by a long way. He was also sold the Poyet vision and Poyet was responsible for getting the best goalkeeper outside the premiership to come to BHAFC.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is not inevitable this will go to court. Gus' use of the word 'probably' is very telling.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Kusczak is the one that alarmed me the most, he looked totally out of it Saturday and not his usual self, infact his worst game for the club by a long way. He was also sold the Poyet vision and Poyet was responsible for getting the best goalkeeper outside the premiership to come to BHAFC.

This, he's looked poor every time I've seen him play since the semi. Hopefully just a bad patch that he'll get over, to lose the PIG we saw last season would be a serious blow

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Recruitment was affected whatever is said, the club either waited until the new manager could have an input to the process or decided that recruiting players not identified when poyet was on board could help his case, either way not great.

Except, we were reported to have been interested in at least one of our two latest signings last season, we signed upson who was on loan last season.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Agree he looked a bit shonky. I thought originally he could have done better for their second, but on repeat viewing reckon the ball/finish was just too good.

However, as soon as he gets his eye in with those lofted balls to the full backs (all of which have sailed into the crowd thus far) then I sense big things happening.

Don't think there's any Poyet relevance to his form outside of a natural 'new manager - new tactics' thing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The players are adapting to a new gaffer, coaching team, and playing style. I don't think they are all lovesick for Gus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Both of you mention a pro-Poyet brigade with an agenda, as if we're happy to see Brighton struggle. While there might be a few masochistic types out there, really that is absurd. Looking round this board it seems that plenty of the people posting for patience and to give OG time are exactly those pro-Poyet types, whereas others posting doom and gloom include some of his fiercest enemies on here.

Absolutely this. Also, "pro-poyet" is a stupid phrase. Anyone with a brain could see he was a superb manager for us. That's not "pro-poyet". It's pro-common sense.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely this. Also, "pro-poyet" is a stupid phrase. Anyone with a brain could see he was a superb manager for us. That's not "pro-poyet". It's pro-common sense.

The pro-Poyet label is for those who side with him and against the club in regards to the gross misconduct charges. Nothing to do with Gus' managerial ability. I think you know this but are being deliberately provocative.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Agree totally. Poyet was a great manager. I was disappointed to see him go, but he did, that's life, we move on. If there is a hangover at all, it's from the Palace game, I'm not really over it and neither are most of those who sit around me....

Once the season gets into full swing that will go and a couple of wins will hasten the process. What we are seeing now is a team adapting to a new way of playing and as said in other posts a team that looks a little under cooked currently, that will change and we will punch on...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The pro-Poyet label is for those who side with him and against the club in regards to the gross misconduct charges. Nothing to do with Gus' managerial ability. I think you know this but are being deliberately provocative.

I don't know many fans who side with Gus and/or against the club. The label is thrown at anyone who acknowledges that, generally speaking, we don't know what happened and refuse to condemn him outright, those that criticise aspects of the club's actions as well as some of Gus's behaviour. And Mustafa, but he probably deserves it.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Not completely. I'm not particularly on his side in the gross misconduct debate yet I'm sure plenty on here would paint me as "pro-poyet".

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, I have been painted as anti-Poyet despite repeatedly spelling out my admiration for his achievements as a manager. I still believe the breach of contract and gross misconduct charges are justified. I have faith in Tony and the board, so if that makes me anti-Poyet so be it, even if it is gross over-simplification.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here