Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Scot in the crowd celebrating with the Uruguayans tonight...

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
The fact he can afford to be at the WC while others on here are slagging him off probably suggests he's doing something better in life than those people are.

the fact someone has more money than another by no way means one has done something better in life. in fact, in today's world it is often the opposite.

a sad comment.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have been abroad many times - many times to watch Charlton, but also to World Cup and Euro finals, to watch German and Finnish league games, Icelandic and Swedish cup finals, etc etc. There's nothing wrong with watching football abroad, as the Scotland dude is doing. What is wrong is the plastic idiots that support England on TV. True football fans support their club and couldn't give a stuff about their (or any other) national side. By true football fan I mean people who go home and away, to friendlies, to watch the reserves/youth etc. Those people wouldn't piss on the England team if it was on fire. The people who watch the World Cup on TV are NOT football fans by any decent metric - they are the same people who live in Brighton and support Chelsea/Arsenal etc but have never been to see those teams play. They are people who only care about APPEARING to be interested in football, rather than actually being so or spending any money on it.

Getting back to the Scottish guy who made most of NSC cry. Read the article linked to a few posts above. The bloke went to the 2010 World Cup TO SUPPORT URUGUAY TOO. I've no idea if they played England in that WC, but I suspect not. The guy follows Uruguay (in the absence of Scotland from major tournaments). Of course given that they were playing England he wore his Scotland top - I imagine he got a lot of drinks bought for him by Uruguayans last night, whilst most of you lot were crying into your shandies.

Also, of course he was cheering for Uruguay - even if he hadn't been a Uruguay follower, which the article suggests he is - as his ticket was in the Uruguay end. As anyone, such as myself, who has actually been to a World Cup knows, you usually have no idea what games you're going to until a day or two beforehand, and you have no idea which 'end' you're in until you get there. I've ended up supporting the likes of USA, Saudi Arabia and Portugal in past games, purely because that's where my seat has been.

Get a grip, girls.

What a strange post. Imagine if the World Cup was only for die hard fans who went to every game, home and away. It would be utter shite. By your reckoning, I assume 99.9% of the people who cheered on Mo Farah in the Olympics are 'plastic idiots' too? Where were they when he was running at Crystal Palace on a wet Tuesday night in February eh?

What a strange post. Imagine if the World Cup was only for die hard fans who went to every game, home and away. It would be utter shite. By your reckoning, I assume 99.9% of the people who cheered on Mo Farah in the Olympics are 'plastic idiots' too? Where were they when he was running at Crystal Palace on a wet Tuesday night in February eh?

I was there on that wet Tuesday February night back in 74 at crystal palace:ffsparr:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have been abroad many times - many times to watch Charlton, but also to World Cup and Euro finals, to watch German and Finnish league games, Icelandic and Swedish cup finals, etc etc. There's nothing wrong with watching football abroad, as the Scotland dude is doing. What is wrong is the plastic idiots that support England on TV. True football fans support their club and couldn't give a stuff about their (or any other) national side. By true football fan I mean people who go home and away, to friendlies, to watch the reserves/youth etc. Those people wouldn't piss on the England team if it was on fire. The people who watch the World Cup on TV are NOT football fans by any decent metric - they are the same people who live in Brighton and support Chelsea/Arsenal etc but have never been to see those teams play. They are people who only care about APPEARING to be interested in football, rather than actually being so or spending any money on it.

Getting back to the Scottish guy who made most of NSC cry. Read the article linked to a few posts above. The bloke went to the 2010 World Cup TO SUPPORT URUGUAY TOO. I've no idea if they played England in that WC, but I suspect not. The guy follows Uruguay (in the absence of Scotland from major tournaments). Of course given that they were playing England he wore his Scotland top - I imagine he got a lot of drinks bought for him by Uruguayans last night, whilst most of you lot were crying into your shandies.

Also, of course he was cheering for Uruguay - even if he hadn't been a Uruguay follower, which the article suggests he is - as his ticket was in the Uruguay end. As anyone, such as myself, who has actually been to a World Cup knows, you usually have no idea what games you're going to until a day or two beforehand, and you have no idea which 'end' you're in until you get there. I've ended up supporting the likes of USA, Saudi Arabia and Portugal in past games, purely because that's where my seat has been.

Get a grip, girls.

I always had you down as a decent sort, not one for pretentious twuntery like this. Strange.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
... back when you had a true (non-hipster and capacity limited) support, but I guess a stadium named for plastic attracts it.

You seem to be forgetting that you only got 28-30000 when you were finishing in the top half of the Premiership. Now you're in the Championship (only just) you seem to be getting about half that, and more to the point, half of what we are getting now.

Some of your fans really seem to have a chip on their shoulder about us - read some of the threads on your board about Dale Stephens, suggesting he only came to us because of money. Maybe he came to us because our club is in a better state?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Does anyone have a rosette? We need to award Mr Best Fan here.
There have been, and always will be different levels of fans, whether that be football, music, chess, films. The World Cup is a festival of football, a tournament of the best. If you'd prefer people not to watch it on TV you may be forever disappointed. I presume you're there?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I do find it odd that Scottish fans see fit to define themselves as "not English", by celebrating our failures with such verve. It doesn't really say much for them really.

If Gibraltar take points off them in Euro 2016 qualifying as expected, I'll probably have a little chuckle. But I really wouldn't bother making any sort of attempt to get a ticket for such a match solely to stand in amongst the Gibraltar supporters with my England shirt and COMEDY morris dancing outfit on, even if I lived within half an hour's travelling distance of the game.

It seems very odd to me.

It is odd, but then decking out pubs in Scotland and wearing Argentina shirts etc when England played them in a couple of World cups, is also a bit odd. Which is why the thread on merging the UK teams is also very odd.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Get a grip, girls.

Someones tired.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Does anyone have a rosette? We need to award Mr Best Fan here.
There have been, and always will be different levels of fans, whether that be football, music, chess, films. The World Cup is a festival of football, a tournament of the best. If you'd prefer people not to watch it on TV you may be forever disappointed. I presume you're there?

No, I'm not there. Nor am I watching it. I confess I watched Iran v Nigeria in a pub (being educated I don't keep a television myself) but purely because a rubbish Charlton striker plays for Iran and I had a three pound bet on him to score. I haven't seen even a single second of any other game, nor would I want to. I can't think of anything more vile, to be honest.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
You seem to be forgetting that you only got 28-30000 when you were finishing in the top half of the Premiership. Now you're in the Championship (only just) you seem to be getting about half that, and more to the point, half of what we are getting now.

Some of your fans really seem to have a chip on their shoulder about us - read some of the threads on your board about Dale Stephens, suggesting he only came to us because of money. Maybe he came to us because our club is in a better state?

No we didn't. Our capacity is 27,111 so I imagine our highest average gate in the PL was 26k tops.

I'd rather not read a Charlton board, thank you - the majority of our fans are pond life.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I haven't seen even a single second of any other game, nor would I want to. I can't think of anything more vile, to be honest.

Really? You've not got much of an imagination then. How about lactating manboobs? A TV series called "Britain's worst varicose veins"? Susan Boyle as the new face of Victoria's Secrets? Liver flavoured ice cream?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, I'm not there. Nor am I watching it. I confess I watched Iran v Nigeria in a pub (being educated I don't keep a television myself) but purely because a rubbish Charlton striker plays for Iran and I had a three pound bet on him to score. I haven't seen even a single second of any other game, nor would I want to. I can't think of anything more vile, to be honest.
Where to start... :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

raba

Jun 9, 2013

So, real fans aren't interested in England or any other national team? Add this to how vile watching international football is it makes me wonder why you're quick to announce you've been to the World Cup & the Euros.

Alledgedly.

Clown.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
So, real fans aren't interested in England or any other national team? Add this to how vile watching international football is it makes me wonder why you're quick to announce you've been to the World Cup & the Euros.

Alledgedly.

Clown.

I went for the atmosphere and adventure. Not knowing what city you will be in from one day to the next is enervating. I highly recommend it.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
The lad is a confused Weegie ,lives in Northampton and supports the Green Bigots .Surely Republic of Ireland for you young man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here