Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Scale of the Universe

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
There is gnostic atheism and agnostic atheism, perhaps I should have been more specific. Nothing is wrong with admitting you don't know, but claiming that no form of deity is responsible for existence isn't just ignorant - it's irrational - and the burden of proof is on them.

Patronising and ridiculous.

I personally believe that the universe was formed after a watermelon went toxic and exploded into a million pieces. Each piece formed a planet or a star. Each star / planet is actually made of sausage meat. That's what I believe and until you can disprove this Mustafa then it's you who has the problem.

A silly example but not much sillier than the bible version.

Oct 25, 2003
Is it as far fetched as a bearded chap living in the sky somewhere making it in seven days a few thousand years ago? No, no it's not is it.

I had the age old argument regarding dinosaur fossils with a pretty devout Christian chap the other day. He told me the Devil had put them there as a diversion! This, as far as he was concerned, was the end of the argument.

The older (and hopefully wiser) I get the more religion seems utterly ludicrous. Invented by man to control the masses...

you find it ludicrous because you seem to be looking at it (christianity) as a bit of a caricature of what it is to most

i know you're being a bit flippant (as tends to happen in this kind of 'debate') but most christians don't share the views of your 'devout christian chap'...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least we can all agree its a funky little widget.
#clutchingatstraws.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
you find it ludicrous because you seem to be looking at it (christianity) as a bit of a caricature of what it is to most

i know you're being a bit flippant (as tends to happen in this kind of 'debate') but most christians don't share the views of your 'devout christian chap'...

I agree I am simplifying things a bit! However, the issue of 'burden of truth' lying with the atheists is ridiculous and infuriating. See my 'even more flippant' watermelon analogy!!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That's because most Christians believe what suits them! :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Never mind these God v the Big Bang arguments, there is a massive thing in that scale called Gomez's Hamburger. It's about the same size as the Hourglass Nebula, but a bit smaller than a light year.

Why on EARTH aren't we having a discussion about that? Space has a giant HAMBURGER, and you're all arguing about God?

Oct 25, 2003
That's because most Christians believe what suits them! :thumbsup:

not really....i believe what i believe based on my own personal experiences, which lead me to really struggle not to believe in God. It doesn't 'suit' me at all. I won't be losing any sleep over the fact that people on a message board don't share my beliefs...I imagine the amount of conversions from internet message boards is fairly low

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why on EARTH aren't we having a discussion about that? Space has a giant HAMBURGER, and you're all arguing about God?
Who was clearly hungry when he went shopping.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
If god created the universe where was he living prior to creating it because wasn't there Fu c k all before the universe was formed. Just a thought, but I'm sure the NSC mafia will have an answer.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The notion of every week, hordes of people gathering in one place to sing songs- purporting ridiculous statements, worshiping and working themselves in to a frenzy, based on the possibilities that there will be a 'better tomorrow'. Idolising individuals and refusing to believe the facts laid out before them by other, rival sects, in a attempt to draw them to their own, equally pointless belief.

Ridiculous!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Religion was 'invented' a few thousand years ago when people knew no better. As far as they were concerned the earth was flat, the moon was as far as space stretched and a 'God' was the only possible explanation for life.

Now we do know better. The universe is insanely big (see OP), fossils have been found proving, yes proving, life existed here 100 million years ago. These two simple truths cannot be explained away by a religion that sticks to the Bible - unless you are willing to bend the rules a bit...

It is staggering how much influence religion still has on this planet.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The notion of every week, hordes of people gathering in one place to sing songs- purporting ridiculous statements, worshiping and working themselves in to a frenzy, based on the possibilities that there will be a 'better tomorrow'. Idolising individuals and refusing to believe the facts laid out before them by other, rival sects, in a attempt to draw them to their own, equally pointless belief.

Ridiculous!

It'll never catch on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Oct 25, 2003
And I think trying to pass atheism off as a fashion thing is just further patronising along the lines of your first post that kicked this all off.

Patronising and ridiculous.

Ridiculous!

no...THIS is patronising

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Luckily not with socks.

A German god just adds to more confusion.

Seems to be wearing Plimsolls here...

picture-of-jim-carrey-and-morgan-freeman.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here