Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Scale of the Universe

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
There are many ways fans get to the Amex this afternoon. Why does only one have to be correct?

Some of the religions mentioned state there is only 1 god. If they are right then Hindus (or the Romans, Greeks, Norse, Egyptians, etc) can't be.

Unless Schrodinger is right....

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Some of the religions mentioned state there is only 1 god. If they are right then Hindus (or the Romans, Greeks, Norse, Egyptians, etc) can't be.

Unless Schrodinger is right....

I'm not saying all religions lead to the truth, they could leave you only part of the way there. More than one religion could be true but call the "One God" by different names.

I believe religions are vehicles that take you to a destination. I don't follow a religion but you could continue the above analogy.

A bus driver could say he's taking you to a place of great entertainment on a Saturday afternoon but drop you off at the Hiker's Rest where they've got a big screen to watch the game.

Or three separate taxis could drop you off at the Amex, the Falmer Stadium and the home of BHAFC.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm not saying all religions lead to the truth, they could leave you only part of the way there. More than one religion could be true but call the "One God" by different names.
I believe religions are vehicles that take you to a destination. I don't follow a religion but you could continue the above analogy.

A bus driver could say he's taking you to a place of great entertainment on a Saturday afternoon but drop you off at the Hiker's Rest where they've got a big screen to watch the game.

Or three separate taxis could drop you off at the Amex, the Falmer Stadium and the home of BHAFC.

That's the problem though - religions ARE claiming to be "the truth", and quite clearly not ALL of them can be - there are far too many differences in what people around the world and throughout time have believed for them all to be true.

What about religions claiming there to be many gods (or destination, in your analogy)? Can they be true at the same time as a religion claiming there is only 1 god?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Much as I don't believe that a God created everything in six days and took Sunday off, have to say that the Big Bang theory strikes me as equally unlikely. One minute there's nothing, literally. Next minute there's shitloads of stuff everywhere. What? :moo:

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Much as I don't believe that a God created everything in six days and took Sunday off, have to say that the Big Bang theory strikes me as equally unlikely. One minute there's nothing, literally, next minute there's shitloads of stuff everywhere. What? :moo:

To be entirely fair to it, the Big Bang theory doesn't explain how the Universe came in to being. It covers the first million years or so of the Universe from a Plank time after the creation of the Universe.

As for the whole "there was nothing there", have a read up on virtual particles. Most physicists will agree that the idea of nothing is a bad approximation at best.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
That's the problem though - religions ARE claiming to be "the truth", and quite clearly not ALL of them can be - there are far too many differences in what people around the world and throughout time have believed for them all to be true.

What about religions claiming there to be many gods (or destination, in your analogy)? Can they be true at the same time as a religion claiming there is only 1 god?

I agree

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Have you never wondered what defines the laws of physics? For example if gravity were slightly stronger, the universe would collapse in on itself - if it were slightly weaker, the planets wouldn't form. Or take the nuclear forces - try to imagine what the universe would be like if each element didn't have unique and specific properties - oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, metals and so on - It is not just our evolution that abides by specific and crucial laws to exist , the entire universe does. Can you think of any physical law that doesn't have a purpose? Probably not, we live in a profoundly purposeful universe, which seems to have been tweaked to allow it to become what it is.

...and besides, what makes you think we are in the middle of nowhere, and what makes you think we will be on this planet in a few billion years time?
because of the perspective from which we are viewing it, i.e being in that universe

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Much as I don't believe that a God created everything in six days and took Sunday off, have to say that the Big Bang theory strikes me as equally unlikely. One minute there's nothing, literally. Next minute there's shitloads of stuff everywhere. What? :moo:
Not quite. The big bang is about the expansion of matter from a very condensed state to an expanding state. I'm not convinced by it because of the need to include a rapid expansion phase that does not fit to the general underlying beauty of nature's laws but the theory as it currently stands does explain the known facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here