Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] THE RUN IN - Europe ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think we've seen our last home league win of the season!

I spotted that ages ago, it makes it seem that a few draws are our best hope home or away.

In reality the PL throws up a stack of surprise results. The team with Caicedo and Mac Allister had that in bucketloads, a win was feasible from almost any fixture.

Does this current Albion have that x factor?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In those cases where the competition winners also qualify via domestic league positions then they wouldn’t give the places to other Premier League clubs. The places are effectively vacated an allocated elsewhere.

Man City won the Champions League last season but also qualified through the league so that left a vacant slot in the competition.

There is an explanation of what changes were made because of this spare place. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Champions_League)

Similar changes would be make next season if any of the scenarios above happen.
Thank you JJJJS

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think I read on The Athletic that the 5th Champions League spot is now between ourselves and Germany (as Italy already very likely to secure one of the two extra UCL places). Hence, annoying as it is, we need to hope West Ham beat Freiburg on Thursday.
In the absence of getting the extra UCL spot, I think Liverpool winning the League Cup means that the Conference League spot will go to the team finishing 6th....unless the FA cup winner also finishes in the Champions League spots...in which case it would go to the team in 7th.

So - if England gets an extra UCL place, and either Man City or Liverpool wins the FACup, then I think it looks like this:

1st - 5th: UCL
6th & 7th: Europa Lge
8th: Conference

Someone with more understanding of these things should validate that, though :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I spotted that ages ago, it makes it seem that a few draws are our best hope home or away.

In reality the PL throws up a stack of surprise results. The team with Caicedo and Mac Allister had that in bucketloads, a win was feasible from almost any fixture.

Does this current Albion have that x factor?
Only on a Pools coupon, sadly

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes - sorry. It was an oblique reference back to the Championship days when we were flying high getting on for halfway through the season - but the refrain was always 'but we haven't played anyone good yet'
Chelsea, Man Utd and Villa aren’t all that anyway ha ha.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think I read on The Athletic that the 5th Champions League spot is now between ourselves and Germany (as Italy already very likely to secure one of the two extra UCL places). Hence, annoying as it is, we need to hope West Ham beat Freiburg on Thursday.
In the absence of getting the extra UCL spot, I think Liverpool winning the League Cup means that the Conference League spot will go to the team finishing 6th....unless the FA cup winner also finishes in the Champions League spots...in which case it would go to the team in 7th.

So - if England gets an extra UCL place, and either Man City or Liverpool wins the FACup, then I think it looks like this:

1st - 5th: UCL
6th & 7th: Europa Lge
8th: Conference

Someone with more understanding of these things should validate that, though :)
England are strong favourites for an extra UCL spot over Germany, although our position has weakened somewhat in the last series of games. and we've not helped the Premier League out with our loss in Rome!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
England are strong favourites for an extra UCL spot over Germany, although our position has weakened somewhat in the last series of games. and we've not helped the Premier League out with our loss in Rome!

Are we going to have this every year - or is this just a one off and the fifth place stays with whoever gets it now?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are we going to have this every year - or is this just a one off and the fifth place stays with whoever gets it now?
I assume it changes season on season if the UCL remains at the revamped 36 teams. I'm guessing though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Emery, Ange and 7Hag all praying the German clubs flop.
Coefficient points are earned for match results so we can help our own chances by beating Roma on Thursday, even if we ultimately go out at this stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here