Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] THE RUN IN - Europe ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm normally Captain Optimism but I'm struggling to see where we pick up 15 points. Anything over 10 will be impressive.
I know where we're getting 1 (-1) 😂

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
nah - Villa Chelsea and Manure are totally beatable (if we play well that is)
Villa are shithouse chearting greasey scum . . . , it's about time we did them over

Manure may get something . . .Fergie time. Ut a game we should look to win.

we will beat chelsea, there's more than enough disgust and dislike for the parasitic cockwombles.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
With Pedro back, Enciso fully fit and firing on all cylinders , a settled in Barco, Baleba seems to be getting better and better each game he plays in - I think we are in for an exciting finish to the season

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Tell that to Palace, Forest and Sheff Utd (twice) in recent weeks. Diabolically rubbish we werent. thankfully.
hence ‘generally’. i’m sure even you’d agree that our record against that kind of team is much less than satisfactory more often than not. at least, much worse than it should be

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
AWAY: Liverpool - lose, Brentford - draw, Burnley - win, Bournemouth - win, Newcastle -draw,
HOME: Arsenal - lose, Villa - lose, Chelsea - lose, Man City - lose, Man Utd - draw

9 points left

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
10 games to go:

AWAY: Liverpool, Brentford, Burnley, Bournemouth, Newcastle,
HOME: Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd

Currently : P28: Pts 42, 8th

Better than: 17/18 (40) , 18/19 (36), 19/20 (41) , 20/21 (41)

To beat 21/22 - we need 10 points out of 30. - 9th, 51 points
To beat 22/23 - we need 21 points out of 30 - 6th, 62 points
Perhaps Europe , if we're lucky and it goes down to 7th or 8th is somewhere between the two....

In with a shout - definitely.
Tough - given we're playing 5 out of the top 6 and the top 3 title chasing juggernauts.
I'd argue our 3 biggest games are against those in our Europa/conference place mini league.

Newcastle, Chelsea, Man Utd.

They are the 6 pointers where defeat would be more damaging.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Opta's prediction...

OPTA.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
OK, anyone have any ideas of what happens in a couple of scenarios?

If Villa win conference league (where reward is europa league group stage), but Villa qualify for Champions league of europa league by league position.

Would that europa league berth for winning conference league be allocated somewhere else?

Similar if Liverpool win Europa league (where reward is CL group stage place) but Liverpool have already earned it through league finish

Would that Champions league berth for winning Europa be allocated somewhere else?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
hence ‘generally’. i’m sure even you’d agree that our record against that kind of team is much less than satisfactory more often than not. at least, much worse than it should be
much less satisfactory - agreed. I'd like us to win em all.
generally diabolically rubbish - not really. 4 points from Sheff Utd, 3 from Luton, 6 from Forest, Unbeaten v Everton, 4 points from Palace, and wins v Brentford , Bournemouth (still to play them again) is not at least much worse than it should be. Unless you expect us to win the lot.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
AWAY: Liverpool - lose, Brentford - draw, Burnley - win, Bournemouth - win, Newcastle -draw,
HOME: Arsenal - lose, Villa - lose, Chelsea - lose, Man City - lose, Man Utd - draw

9 points left
We have only lost one game at home this season.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

Bearing in mind we'll be 'concentrating on the league' after Thursday, I think we can finish above West Ham and Newcastle as they are on variable form at the moment.
Then we have Chelsea and Man Utd who are equally inconsistent.
I could see us finish at least 8th.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
OK, anyone have any ideas of what happens in a couple of scenarios?

If Villa win conference league (where reward is europa league group stage), but Villa qualify for Champions league of europa league by league position.

Would that europa league berth for winning conference league be allocated somewhere else?

Similar if Liverpool win Europa league (where reward is CL group stage place) but Liverpool have already earned it through league finish

Would that Champions league berth for winning Europa be allocated somewhere else?
In those cases where the competition winners also qualify via domestic league positions then they wouldn’t give the places to other Premier League clubs. The places are effectively vacated and allocated elsewhere.

Man City won the Champions League last season but also qualified through the league so that left a vacant slot in the competition.

There is an explanation of what changes were made because of this spare place. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_UEFA_Champions_League)

Since the Champions League title holders (Manchester City) have qualified via their domestic league, the following changes to the access list have been made:

• The champions of association 12 (Ukraine) enter the group stage instead of the play-off round (Champions Path).
  • The champions of association 14 (Switzerland) enter the play-off round instead of the third qualifying round (Champions Path).
  • The champions of association 16 (Czech Republic) enter the third qualifying round instead of the second qualifying round (Champions Path).
  • The champions of associations 20 (Turkey) and 21 (Cyprus) enter the second qualifying round instead of the first qualifying round (Champions Path).

Similar changes would be make next season if any of the scenarios above happen.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here