[Politics] The Right Honourable Suella Braverman. KC MP **Sacked 13/11**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Why is it then that the BBC are reporting that the Met Police are setting up an exclusion zone around the Cenotaph on both Saturday and Sunday, do they have intel that none of us are privy to.

Surely they are aware of timings and geography
At a rough guess, due to the media attention it's been given over the last few days! 🤷‍♀️

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why is it then that the BBC are reporting that the Met Police are setting up an exclusion zone around the Cenotaph on both Saturday and Sunday, do they have intel that none of us are privy to.

Perhaps you aren’t privy to the intel but the extremists’ plans to visit the Cenotaph have been well reported.

The Police are rightly trying to counter this.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
So Mark Rowley is an avid reader of the Sun and Daily Mail then, mm ok
I've no idea who you're talking about to be honest! Pro-Palestine groups want to protest like they have done on Saturdays since the conflict started. I'm not taking 'sides' as I've become so narrow minded that I can no longer absorb all the details that everyone is fighting about in all the wars going on at the moment! I'm not going to comment in a political way about something that I know nothing about.
What I do know is the Pro-Palestine march is scheduled for tomorrow (actually today as it's past midnight) a long way away from the London Cenotaph remembrance parade that's happening on Sunday.
Bearing in mind this conversation is happening on a thread about Suella Bravermens thoughts to not let homeless people have a f**king tent & she's now trying to say who can protest. 🤦‍♀️
As I've said, I've got too much crap going on in my own bubble to worry about the rest of the world anymore (selfish, maybe??). I'm not going to moan about others protesting about what they want to. What has happened here though,in my view, is that a load of shit has been stirred unnecessarily by the same person that doesn't want homeless people to have tents.
Seems to me like 'divide and rule' in full swing.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Perhaps you aren’t privy to the intel but the extremists’ plans to visit the Cenotaph have been well reported.

The Police are rightly trying to counter this.
But Tommy Robinson and his followers wish to protect the Cenotaph, why would the Met Police set up an exclusion zone around the Cenotaph aimed at people who are there to supposedly protect the Cenotaph. Isn't it more likely that the Police are more concerned about breakaway groups from the pro Palestine march ?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I've no idea who you're talking about to be honest! Pro-Palestine groups want to protest like they have done on Saturdays since the conflict started. I'm not taking 'sides' as I've become so narrow minded that I can no longer absorb all the details that everyone is fighting about in all the wars going on at the moment! I'm not going to comment in a political way about something that I know nothing about.
What I do know is the Pro-Palestine march is scheduled for tomorrow (actually today as it's past midnight) a long way away from the London Cenotaph remembrance parade that's happening on Sunday.
Bearing in mind this conversation is happening on a thread about Suella Bravermens thoughts to not let homeless people have a f**king tent & she's now trying to say who can protest. 🤦‍♀️
As I've said, I've got too much crap going on in my own bubble to worry about the rest of the world anymore (selfish, maybe??). I'm not going to moan about others protesting about what they want to. What has happened here though,in my view, is that a load of shit has been stirred unnecessarily by the same person that doesn't want homeless people to have tents.
Seems to me like 'divide and rule' in full swing.
Fair enough, best wishes from the county town :thumbsup:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Fair enough, best wishes from the county town :thumbsup:
Bloody Lewes people who wont let Brightonions see the bonfire parade. :lolol:
I'm pretty sure it was you that took amazing pics of Lewes a few years ago, if that wasn't you sorry. If it was you do you have any from this year? :smile:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Bloody Lewes people who wont let Brightonions see the bonfire parade. :lolol:
I'm pretty sure it was you that took amazing pics of Lewes a few years ago, if that wasn't you sorry. If it was you do you have any from this year? :smile:
Yes I take a few pics most years, especially if Im asked to, but to be honest I prefer to stay in these days. I'm a fellow Brightonian who moved out here 38 years ago as Mrs Shingle is a Lewesian and I hear what your saying albeit tongue in cheek about the Bonfire Societies saying they prefer only local people, but it backfired on them this year as visitors took them at their word and stayed away. Estimates put the attendance at 15-20 thousand instead of the usual 60,000 it might have been partly due to the rain but I think many were put off by the 'unfriendly' attitude of some of the Bonfire societies. You watch now CS, this thread will be further hijacked by some of the bonfire boys. :D

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
But Tommy Robinson and his followers wish to protect the Cenotaph, why would the Met Police set up an exclusion zone around the Cenotaph aimed at people who are there to supposedly protect the Cenotaph. Isn't it more likely that the Police are more concerned about breakaway groups from the pro Palestine march ?
Do you know who the EDL are? - The police don’t need a bunch of Islamophobic, far right extremists anywhere near the Cenotaph even though Suella Braverman has been giving them a dog whistle for weeks.

Yes, a break away extremist contingent a real risk if EDL turn up - same way you used to get the National Front violent clashes with the Anti-nazi league - opposition political activism.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not so.

The exclusion zone excludes everyone. I have it on good authority that the police are far more concerned about right wing opposition factions causing disruption than any historically peaceful Palestinian marchers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That’s done every year. I explained earlier about the barriers and poppy taxis.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This person is ignoring the elephant in the room, the elephant in the room is a terrorist organisation called hamas who's primary aim is to destroy the state of Israel and kill every Jew. It is hamas who have started this war, Israel has every right to defend itself.

These people are not marching for me.

The war started in 1948 when 700,000 Palestinians were displaced.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
And, I'm sorry to say, whats the point of the march anyway, it might make people feel good about themeselves but it wont stop
What's the point in remembrance Day? I mean, it's not going to bring anyone back is it? People do things to demonstrate their feelings and, yes, to make themselves feel good because they believe they're contributing to something they believe in. Some call it virtue signalling but you want to protest or remember the fallen then why not.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Plus the idea is to show the strength of feeling people have to their government. Obviously it won’t happen but if every meme er of the public in every town took to their street to protest then the government would change behaviour. It is a bit like voting. My one vote makes little difference but if everyone thought like that then no one would vote.

What's the point in remembrance Day? I mean, it's not going to bring anyone back is it? People do things to demonstrate their feelings and, yes, to make themselves feel good because they believe they're contributing to something they believe in. Some call it virtue signalling but you want to protest or remember the fallen then why not.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What a pathetic post, Remembrance Day is for the veterans but mostly to remember those who never returned.

I don't 'believe' I know my contribution helps, as the RBL continues to help veterans via the Poppy appeal.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Not so.

The exclusion zone excludes everyone. I have it on good authority that the police are far more concerned about right wing opposition factions causing disruption than any historically peaceful Palestinian marchers.
The police had scraps with the far right a few years ago along Whitehall. Ironically this was because they supported free speech and right to protest. It appears they have changed their mind and free speech shouldn’t be a thing and protest shouldn’t be allowed. But we have to remember some of that lot were throwing nazi salutes and now support Israel so they have shifting priorities depending on who they dislike the most.

I think the right wing nazi types current position is that they support the people who fought against the Nazis and others we have had wars against over the years.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
What a pathetic post, Remembrance Day is for the veterans but mostly to remember those who never returned.

I don't 'believe' I know my contribution helps, as the RBL continues to help veterans via the Poppy appeal.
Very harsh, unless you've been whooshed. Mikeyjh is using a rhetorical question to demonstrate that of course Remembrance Day has a point, and is very important to a lot of people. Just like being able to protest against what is effectively a war with the death of thousands of innocent people including children is very important to a lot of people.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I went on two of the largest demos in our history (Iraq war and countryside) and yet i don’t recall any of the controversies, disorder concerns or disquiet about hijacking by politicians, the press, rent a mob or extremists. As far as I was aware at the time, a peace march was simply a peace march.
Following this thread has left me more confused as to what is really going on or is likely to occur over this weekend, but the whole subject matter feels like a sad indictment of our current society.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I went on two of the largest demos in our history (Iraq war and countryside) and yet i don’t recall any of the controversies, disorder concerns or disquiet about hijacking by politicians, the press, rent a mob or extremists. As far as I was aware at the time, a peace march was simply a peace march.
Following this thread has left me more confused as to what is really going on or is likely to occur over this weekend, but the whole subject matter feels like a sad indictment of our current society.
As every other right minded person, I just want protestors to complete their route peacefully. I want the police to be professional and not start any scrapping. I want mourners to be unaffected. And then everyone can home and watch the football.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Oh we could have it every week just like the demo’s …great idea thanks for making me think about that 🤦‍♂️

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports