[Politics] The Right Honourable Suella Braverman. KC MP **Sacked 13/11**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you really believe that the cenotaph (wrong place, wrong time, wrong day) is part of the demonstration tomorrow, because you read it in the Sun, then I agree, we have very differing views. Night :bigwave:
I thought that we had sunk to a new low with the propaganda with Brexit being a benefit, sadly we seem to be in a constant battle to prevent people being fed lies and being used to get angry over misinformation.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Unfortunately we are powerless to change anything and have to wait for things to run their course and hope the suffering of the innocent Palestinian people doesn't last much longer.

“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

and in my capacity as a photographer im hoping to be in central London tomorrow recording everything in glorious technicolour
Well at least demonstrations have some use for you 🙄
This is the problem with these types of threads, the same handful of posters with the same views simply not listening to what anyone else has to say.

And for that reason, I’ll leave you to it.

Let’s face it, the majority of people on social media/forums want to be in an echo chamber, it’s soooo life affirming 😉
The only rational response to someone that holds a different POV to you, is to be more articulate in the presentation of your argument and if you can’t do that, at least be better informed!

But - if people really do feel they are not being heard, there’s no need for them to announce their departure from a thread- it’s not an airport.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you really believe that the cenotaph (although it's the wrong place, wrong time and wrong day) is part of the demonstration tomorrow, because you read it in the Sun, then I agree, we have very differing views. And you know it's not actually 'views', it's simple documented 'facts' that we actually differ on.

Night :bigwave:
Alas, there are none so blind as those that refuse to see!

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Here's my prediction: There will be civil unrest and riots over the weekend, Sunak will be fored to sack Braverman on monday, the party will turn against Sunak, some ministers will resign from the cabinet and he will become toothless and lose support within. He will be forced into a corner where he would either need to step down or call an election. The civil unrest will spread and become a recurring feature where the far right have been emboldened. The Tory's get smashed in the election, Johnson re-emerges and takes over as leader of a far right conservative opposition.

Just like in the US it started with Trump becoming President and ended with the insurrection and the Republicans turning into the far right, here it started with Brexit and will end with civil unrest and rioting with the Tory's lurching to the far right. Populism in a nutshell
Think sunak will keep the shit snake in the tent. He will want the fire up his arse to burn his own rats.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Cenotaph isn’t being dragged into anything. The march tomorrow is from Hyde Park to Battersea.

This is the third time I have posted this in this thread, and I know others have too.
That‘s down to the media muck raking, talking about the march with a photo of the Cenotaph. It is called disinformatio.
Looking at bit deeper into this. I suspect that it’s all about the culture war and Braverman’s drive to be leader of the opposition in 18 months time, just like the Brexit referendum was all about uniting the Conservative Party behind ‘call me Dave’.

No concern whatsoever about the damage to individuals or the Country these selfish Tory crusades inflict.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A letter from a British Army veteran who will be marching on Armistice Day which sums it up perfectly for me …

“I served in the British Army between 1992 and 2000, mainly in the UK, Germany and Belize. My partner is also a veteran of the Balkans conflicts, and many of my friends are serving and ex-serving members of the military, who share my anger that people in government – most of whom have never worn a uniform, and for whom war is an abstract concept – claim to speak for the rest of us.

While I am sure they exist somewhere, I have yet to meet anyone from my own circle of military friends who has voiced genuine concerns about tomorrow’s planned march from Hyde Park to the US Embassy on Armistice Day calling for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Personally, I cannot think of a more appropriate day to demand a ceasefire than on the day we remember the mother of all ceasefires, to remember and honour those who sacrificed their lives in pursuit of peace and an end to war.

I will be marching for peace tomorrow. The idea being pushed that this march is somehow disrespectful to the Glorious Dead, that people like me are ‘hate marchers’ is as disrespectful as it gets to the many of us who observe and remember our friends or relatives – and all victims of war – during the silence of the Armistice. The real disrespect to the Armistice is the weaponisation of remembrance as part of the government’s wider ‘culture war’.

I am horrified by the tone, language and incitement our own government is using to whip up hatred against its own citizens – citizens who are standing up in solidarity with the besieged and bombed citizens of Gaza. It is clear that our hollow and awful politicians are dog-whistling to the far right, who have responded with a call to stand pointlessly – but menacingly – around statues and the cenotaph (which, incidentally, tomorrow’s march route passes nowhere near).

So where are the many self-proclaimed free speech tsars now to defend our right to freedom of speech, assembly, and the right to protest? Undoubtedly, they are rallying behind the cruel and ridiculous rhetoric of home secretary Suella Braverman as she and her government colleagues seek to defend Israel’s right to commit war crimes on its watch, and to silence or outlaw anyone who holds the view that its actions are unacceptable. In her pursuit of this agenda, she has even taken aim at the Metropolitan Police, making them a target for far right violence by absurdly portraying them as biased toward Palestinian solidarity protesters.

Where are the voices of our opposition in all this too? Why isn’t Kier Starmer speaking for me and millions of us who have no choice but to sit idly by as we watch scenes of utter terror being inflicted upon fellow human beings – bombs falling on schools and hospitals and entire families being blown apart? I don’t want a brief ‘pause’ to allow victims to gather their broken bodies while the abuser resets themselves to deliver the next blow. I want a full ceasefire now.

Braverman does not seem to want to see a peaceful march tomorrow. She is doing everything she can to stir hatred and division, undoubtedly so she can continue her ongoing attack on the wider right to protest in the UK.

Like so many of the Armed Forces, both serving and veterans, who will be in London this weekend, I am not fooled by her faux-outrage, and she certainly does not speak for me.”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A letter from a British Army veteran who will be marching on Armistice Day which sums it up perfectly for me …

“I served in the British Army between 1992 and 2000, mainly in the UK, Germany and Belize. My partner is also a veteran of the Balkans conflicts, and many of my friends are serving and ex-serving members of the military, who share my anger that people in government – most of whom have never worn a uniform, and for whom war is an abstract concept – claim to speak for the rest of us.

While I am sure they exist somewhere, I have yet to meet anyone from my own circle of military friends who has voiced genuine concerns about tomorrow’s planned march from Hyde Park to the US Embassy on Armistice Day calling for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Personally, I cannot think of a more appropriate day to demand a ceasefire than on the day we remember the mother of all ceasefires, to remember and honour those who sacrificed their lives in pursuit of peace and an end to war.

I will be marching for peace tomorrow. The idea being pushed that this march is somehow disrespectful to the Glorious Dead, that people like me are ‘hate marchers’ is as disrespectful as it gets to the many of us who observe and remember our friends or relatives – and all victims of war – during the silence of the Armistice. The real disrespect to the Armistice is the weaponisation of remembrance as part of the government’s wider ‘culture war’.

I am horrified by the tone, language and incitement our own government is using to whip up hatred against its own citizens – citizens who are standing up in solidarity with the besieged and bombed citizens of Gaza. It is clear that our hollow and awful politicians are dog-whistling to the far right, who have responded with a call to stand pointlessly – but menacingly – around statues and the cenotaph (which, incidentally, tomorrow’s march route passes nowhere near).

So where are the many self-proclaimed free speech tsars now to defend our right to freedom of speech, assembly, and the right to protest? Undoubtedly, they are rallying behind the cruel and ridiculous rhetoric of home secretary Suella Braverman as she and her government colleagues seek to defend Israel’s right to commit war crimes on its watch, and to silence or outlaw anyone who holds the view that its actions are unacceptable. In her pursuit of this agenda, she has even taken aim at the Metropolitan Police, making them a target for far right violence by absurdly portraying them as biased toward Palestinian solidarity protesters.

Where are the voices of our opposition in all this too? Why isn’t Kier Starmer speaking for me and millions of us who have no choice but to sit idly by as we watch scenes of utter terror being inflicted upon fellow human beings – bombs falling on schools and hospitals and entire families being blown apart? I don’t want a brief ‘pause’ to allow victims to gather their broken bodies while the abuser resets themselves to deliver the next blow. I want a full ceasefire now.

Braverman does not seem to want to see a peaceful march tomorrow. She is doing everything she can to stir hatred and division, undoubtedly so she can continue her ongoing attack on the wider right to protest in the UK.

Like so many of the Armed Forces, both serving and veterans, who will be in London this weekend, I am not fooled by her faux-outrage, and she certainly does not speak for me.”

Many more veterans feel the same way.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One war memorial had some graffiti and you think every war memorial is in danger?

Have you ever been in London over the weekend of Remembrance Day? Tomorrow morning, it’s the Lord Mayor’s show. Full of troops and a big police presence, with lots of barriers up.
Roads are closed, which is why, when veterans arrive early at London train stations, many black cabs line up, with big poppies on their grills, to take veterans free of charge to Horseguards Parade. Police security is extremely tight, and has been for decades when the IRA were planting bombs.
Nobody will get near Whitehall.

Stop believing what you read in the British press.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
One war memorial had some graffiti and you think every war memorial is in danger?

Have you ever been in London over the weekend of Remembrance Day? Tomorrow morning, it’s the Lord Mayor’s show. Full of troops and a big police presence, with lots of barriers up.
Roads are closed, which is why, when veterans arrive early at London train stations, many black cabs line up, with big poppies on their grills, to take veterans free of charge to Horseguards Parade. Police security is extremely tight, and has been for decades when the IRA were planting bombs.
Nobody will get near Whitehall.

Stop believing what you read in the British press.
Are you implying the above article is not true?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The 'less than 48 hours ago' isn't correct. The teenagers were arrested on Tuesday, so I'm guessing that they sprayed this before they were arrested.
You’re quite right - “approximately a week ago, give or take”, then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The 'less than 48 hours ago' isn't correct. The teenagers were arrested on Tuesday, so I'm guessing that they sprayed this before they were arrested.
You see, @jcdenton08 didn‘t even read the article, in his eagerness to post it. I acknowledged the graffiti happened in Rochdale.
That does not mean every memorial is in ‘danger’.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

Martin Luther King, Jr.
No need to get all sanctimonious with me, you've been quite sensible up to now with your posts particularly on the other thread.
Well at least demonstrations have some use for you
Will more than likely give the main march a miss, too much of a bun fight for me, there's always the Lord Mayors show
Let’s face it, the majority of people on social media/forums want to be in an echo chamber, it’s soooo life affirming 😉
Never a truer word spoke, as the NSC echo chamber on some of the more contentious threads will attest :thumbsup:
But - if people really do feel they are not being heard, there’s no need for them to announce their departure from a thread- it’s not an airport.
:laugh:now that is funny.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You’re quite right - “approximately a week ago, give or take”, then.
Sky are also being disingenuous in that article by calling Rochdale’s war memorial a Cenotaph. It is a war memorial.

The word Cenotaph means empty tomb. There is one, and it’s in Whitehall. Deliberately misleading article.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And, I'm sorry to say, whats the point of the march anyway, it might make people feel good about themeselves but it wont stop

a) Israel trying to eliminate Hamas (they've already said that no matter how many marches take place in western capitals, the war and its consequences fror the innocent population goes on)
b) The British governments support of Israel
c) The Opposition (Kier Starmers) support of Israels right to defend itself and his refusal to call for a ceasefire.

Unfortunately we are powerless to change anything and have to wait for things to run their course and hope the suffering of the innocent Palestinian people doesn't last much longer.
I don't know, why don't you ask the people that came out in force trying to save BHAFC during the dark days of the 1990s why THEY bothered?

And, as far as I know, it's not a one-off, there have been marches every Saturday since the whole thing kicked off.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sky are also being disingenuous in that article by calling Rochdale’s war memorial a Cenotaph. It is a war memorial.

The word Cenotaph means empty tomb. There is one, and it’s in Whitehall. Deliberately misleading article.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports