[Politics] The Right Honourable Suella Braverman. KC MP **Sacked 13/11**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It seems she's failed to get her tent banning law into the King's Speech today. Which proves she's now even too bonkers for the current government, quite the achievement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm putting him on ignore now. He's clearly either a troll or just a bit stupid (or both)

There's people on this thread like yourself who actually know what they're talking about, Goldstone isn't one of them!

I have had him on ignore for years. Absolute entitled bellend.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A government minister on the Today prog this am refused to support her "hate march" comments. But he refused to condemn them too.

It was obvious what he wanted to say, he was just too scared of losing his well paid ministerial position if he said it. Cowardly twat.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A government minister on the Today prog this am refused to support her "hate march" comments. But he refused to condemn them too.

It was obvious what he wanted to say, he was just too scared of losing his well paid ministerial position if he said it. Cowardly twat.
Perhaps he saw the responses and decided against doubling down, or he's going for the shadow Home Sec job that will be available later next year.

I don't know how much sense checking usually goes on at cabinet level, but - surely - there couldn't have been any before Braverman delivered her unformatted braindump of depriving the homeless of tents? Bear in mind that this was an idea of hers which made it into the public domain. There will be others which didn't even get past the 'let's run it up the flagpole' stage.

You do have to wonder what those might be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The King read that speech like a police officer appealing to the public for sightings of a missing child. Extraordinary.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They never had to mention the tent ban at the speech.

These are so called “engagement policies”.

They are never intended to be made law. They are just meant to be heard by idiots who love this kind of hateful rhetoric.

“Engagement policy”

They’re never going to marry you, but they’ll give you a promise so they can keep f***ing you.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just seen Sunak's response to a question about homelessness, where he stated that "...rough sleeping overall is down by around a third, thanks to the actions of this government".

So if fewer people are CHOOSING to sleep rough, it's NOT a lifestyle choice, then...?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Brighton Council’s approach is reasonable

“When we know people are rough sleeping, we aim never to take their tents away. Our outreach workers work to move people away from the streets by providing support about better alternatives. Outreach workers are not in any way involved with enforcement.”

If Braverman did introduce new laws, I suspect she will do it by statutory instruments (probably as an amendment to the Local Government Act ) since it would unlikely survive the scrutiny of parliament - which would delegate the powers to local authorities to implement and the local police/Council to enforce. Can’t see the Labour Brighton Council implementing this tbh But as @The Clamp says, probable more ‘engagement policy’ than anything else …

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There are some people who prefer an "independent lifestyle" out on the streets, often with mental health or substance issues. That doesn't means that everyone (or even the vast majority) out there, want to be there - they don't. But some really don't want to be helped.

Taking away their shelters is not the answer though - although some of them are truly disgusting inside. They will only move on to the next doorway.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I'm not sure how you can watch this and feel anything other than sympathy for anyone having to live on the streets. She's deplorable.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just seen Sunak's response to a question about homelessness, where he stated that "...rough sleeping overall is down by around a third, thanks to the actions of this government".

So if fewer people are CHOOSING to sleep rough, it's NOT a lifestyle choice, then...?
Depends on where you take the starting point from I guess.

1699388326927.png

1699388481253.png

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

I'm not sure how you can watch this and feel anything other than sympathy for anyone having to live on the streets. She's deplorable.

Thank you for posting this video @Beanstalk

It’s so important to individualise homeless people. For far too long, the people in our society living on the streets have been demonised and dehumanised as some kind of homogeneous and faceless group called ‘The Homeless’ - visible to us yet invisible in their anonymity - to me they are people who happen to be homeless - until society looks on every homeless person as someone with their own unique background and narratives, personality and experiences, they will always suffer from the damning effects of exclusion and discrimination IMO.

The chef btw was reading one of my favourite books by one of my favourite authors, The Snowman by Jo Nesbo - dark Scandi crime thriller.

I never give money now to homeless people on the street - I always did, ever since a teenager with money from my Saturday job then for years as an adult but then after I began working in support services, I found I could offer more practical help - it’s been nearly 8 years since I was involved in homelessness charities but where I live now, I do still buy food, have a chat and help find accommodation or a drop in centre/or church if asked (rather than enabling them to buy alcohol or drugs but that’s just my choice, any help is something of course).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night, and go to sleep.
Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.
"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."
Watson replied, "I see millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?"
Watson pondered for a minute.
"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets."
"What does it tell you, Holmes?"
Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke: "Watson, you idiot. That bitch Suella Braverman has stolen our tent!"

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...stice-day-met-believes?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

so the leading policeman in the country disagrees with our favourite Home Secretary, as do many senior Tories publicly.
From a policing pov he is spot on.

They’ll hold the march anyway, may as well accept it, police it and let it pass. Hopefully without incident.

I bet a pound to a pinch of snuff, the only trouble will be made by the type of British nationalist who posts poppy memes saying things like;

“I don’t care who it offends, I wear my poppy with pride”

It doesn’t offend anyone, dear. Calm down.

The Mail sums it up nicely..

By which they mean they hope there is disorder so they can point at brown people and “woke police” and say “I told you so”

IMG_3031.jpeg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

They’ll hold the march anyway, may as well accept it, police it and let it pass. Hopefully without incident.

I bet a pound to a pinch of snuff, the only trouble will be made by the type of British nationalist who posts poppy memes saying things like;

By which they mean they hope there is disorder so they can point at brown people and “woke police” and say “I told you so”

View attachment 169359
Good job they don't bang on about free speech all the time or they would look a bit daft.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

View attachment 169359
The Mail seems to be ignorant of the facts which I saw Nicholas Soames- famous Conservative and a descendant of Sir Winston Churchill - mentioning last night that:
1. The March is in the afternoon and on Saturday and so will not clash with the Cenotaph events anyway.
2. the March will be nowhere near the Cenotaph - from Hyde Park to Battersea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports