Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Right Honourable Suella Braverman. KC MP **Sacked 13/11**

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I sleep in a tent a few nights a year as a lifestyle choice, it's called camping. It's fun (allegedly) all together in a field with kids playing rounders, bbq's & campfires. In the middle of Aug I went to bed wearing pj's, a hoodie, a sleeping bag with a hood & a duvet, laying on top of a air bed with pillows. I was still chilly.
'Camping' is a lifestyle choice but in a decent tent, with fresh water of some description & the knowledge that if it all starts leaking or thunderstorms etc., you can sleep in the car.
Sleeping rough in a shit '2 person' pop up tent that wouldn't be big enough for my dog to turn around in, is probably not a lifestyle choice.
Nearly 20 years ago I went to a 'Ball' at The Grand for a charity event to raise funds in the name of a young girl who had passed away. I went outside for a cigarette & ended up sitting on the floor in my ball gown chatting to a homeless guy. He didn't speak to me 1st or ask for a cigarette, I struck up the conversation because I feel more uncomfortable 'not' talking to people, I even spoke to Palace fans that night (don't start smoking kids, as you'll end up having to speak to Palace fans).
When I did eventually ask him how he had he found himself outside The Grand in January he said it was because that was where he wanted to be. He made it sound like a 'lifestyle choice' to start with. Upon further questioning he revealed that he had been in the army, suffered from ptsd & couldn't stand the thought of being 'trapped'. Suella would take that as a 'lifestyle choice', most of us would see that as a person who needs treatment for ptsd so that he can feel comfortable living in a 'home' he can call his own. My friends did eventually come to his rescue & find me. On departing he tried to give me some money to add to the charity funds & only accepted the rest of my cigarettes because I threatened to stay and chat to him for longer! He probably didn't even smoke. 😀 He didn't actually have a tent in the vicinity that I noticed but under this new 'bright' idea, it could've been taken away from him.
I'm sure there's a saying along the lines of.... people are only 3 months wages away from being homeless. For a lot of people (probably the majority) this is true. You know those 'to let' prices you see that are '£1500 per month', what they actually mean in Brighton, is that it's 'from £1500 per month'. There is now bidding going on, 6 months rent up front, guarantor, plus deposit is becoming normal. If you don't believe me go onto an estate agents website, ask to view a couple of properties, view 1, say you'll take it, then see what happens.
If I become homeless you'll know who I am as I'll pitch my expensive tent up in Stanmer Park, with my gazebo, bbq, camping gas stoves & all the little 'lifestyle choice' luxuries & I'll put a Brighton flag somewhere on my set up. Then over time & weather etc you can watch an amazing set up be reduced to a 2 man tent with my dog because that's what happens. No fixed address & you're out of the housing market, being on benefits puts you out of the housing market. Kids and parents living in bedsits but Suella is taking aim at people who are lucky to have a 2 man tent. FFS. 🤦‍♀️
Add a few bells and whistles to this.

Where I worked in North Road once there was a chap who lived in the hostel there. He could barely muster a word. He walked with a limp and picked up cigarette butts off the floor. I once found him outside on the floor, injured. I called the ambulance. Someone came up from the hostel saying he was probably stoned. The problem being that when he picked up the butts some would contain weed.

I then learnt he was injured in a motor cycle accident many years before and suffered a brain injury.

He used to nestle in an alcove by the building and one day as we were coming out suddenly he raised his fists at one of the women. She complained loudly and was put right immediately. He wasn't going to attack her, he was scared. All these people bundling into his comfy space at the same time. The dear owner of the kebab shop on Queen's Road, who I couldn't understand how he made a penny, would give him sanctuary and ample food for next to nothing. This guy had no hope, no aspirations. He was once someone's son, but now no-ones love.

It makes me feel tearful even writing this, and all you say is correct. Braverman is heartless and ruthless, devoid of any empathy and desperate for the world of Janet and John, People's Friend and sneering alms for the poor. Like those wonderful 19th century postcards of Brighton that showed you genteel folk walking along the new roads of Kemptown, but not showing you the abject poverty just five minutes away. The poverty that facilitated their wealth.

It is also astonishing that the daughter of immigrants of Indian descent could say how much admiration she has for what Britain did for India without any balance that regrets the suffering that was caused. But this is nothing new. I have met others who have said the same. And there is a trend. They hail from the backgrounds of the small percentage who did indeed thrive under empire. Those who saw an opportunity to make their own money from it. And thus it primes her for a transference of such ideology to government here. And she is doing it well.

Last edited:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
How about clean up, sober up and get a job. Like it or not that's pretty much a requirement in this world and the majority of the population seem to be able to function that way.
How about you just open your eyes or at least step down from your ivory tower for a bit, to get a real view of what's going on around you. I disagree with many people on many things, but I usually just keep my gob shut or agree to disagree.
I'm not the kind of person that would call someone a c**t, that's probably because the people I mostly know can show at least a tiny amount of empathy towards others. The last person I called a c**t had used my friend as a punch bag quite a few times, strangely enough she found herself in a situation of leaving & having no where to go, or staying as a punch bag but having a roof over her head. She was/is very clean and showered, doesn't have a drink problem & amazingly has a job!!!!!
Luckily she had people around her that could instantly help her out when she finally got the bottle to leave.
I wouldn't call you a c**t due to your exceptionally offensive stereotyping of a 'homeless' person, but I will let you know that if she didn't have a supportive family & supportive friends, you could be speaking about my friend. But you're not as she's now fine.
I hope you have a lovely evening in your home, with water on tap to wash & knowing that you can just toddle off to the kitchen to make a cup of tea & grab something to eat. (y)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How about clean up, sober up and get a job. Like it or not that's pretty much a requirement in this world and the majority of the population seem to be able to function that way.
When I used to work with homeless women I met many people with many reasons as to why they were homeless.

One used to be raped by her uncle in his bathroom about four times a week from the age of 6 until she was 15.

Another was pimped out by her dad in the back of his camper van while he sat in the front. She was 10 when that started I think.

We worked with one who had been given to a drug gang when she was 13 to pay her mother’s drug debts off. She was passed to about three different gangs in the end. Gang raped night and day for about 3 months. Life changing injuries and HIV now.

One woman had seen many of her friends killed or injured in Afghanistan as a soldier that she got home and just drifted for years, never being able to settle due to PTSD.

I have many more expamples. Let me know if you’d like me to share.

These people developed mental health issues and then went on to develop substance abuse problems as a way to cope with childhood trauma. Eventually ending up on the streets.

And Tory’s cutting homeless and mental health services almost in half.

But you’re right. They should clean up, sober up and get a job. Easy, right?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
When I used to work with homeless women I met many people with many reasons as to why they were homeless.

One used to be raped by her uncle in his bathroom about four times a week from the age of 6 until she was 15.

Another was pimped out by her dad in the back of his camper van while he sat in the front. She was 10 when that started I think.

We worked with one who had been given to a drug gang when she was 13 to pay her mother’s drug debts off. She was passed to about three different gangs in the end. Gag raped night and day for about 3 months. Life changing injuries and HIV now.

One woman had seen many of her friends killed or injured in Afghanistan as a soldier that she got home and just drifted for years, never being able to settle due to PTSD.

These people developed mental health issues and then went on to develop substance abuse problems as a way to cope with childhood trauma. Eventually ending up on the streets.

I'm putting him on ignore now. He's clearly either a troll or just a bit stupid (or both)

There's people on this thread like yourself who actually know what they're talking about, Goldstone isn't one of them!

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I'm putting him on ignore now. He's clearly either a troll or just a bit stupid (or both)

There's people on this thread like yourself who actually know what they're talking about, Goldstone isn't one of them!

I’ve done the same. I’m obviously glad that Goldstone has clearly had a life free from trauma, and never been in a situation where they’ve had to seriously think about abuse and its long term effects, the world needs happiness.

However to thoughtlessly assume that their formative experiences are similar to everyone else’s, and pop onto threads espousing shit like this is naive at best, and deliberately inflammatory at worst. I’ve filed under “too thoughtless/uninformed to listen to”

We keep making this world harder to live in, and for many people who don’t have that ability to function reliably and consistently, this world is almost impossible to navigate successfully.

I realised yesterday in an idle moment that I only know one person in my life who isn’t on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety drugs of one form or another.

We seem to have made a world that is frankly only bearable through drugs, how can we possibly think we’re on the right path?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I heard her interviewed on a podcast a while back (pre-referendum I think) and my conclusion was that she was a bit thick. She could not put forward any logical argument to support any of her views. It's an indictment of this government and a clear sign of the lack of available talent she is anywhere near office. I mean - who did they look at and then selected Braverman.
Easy to forget that she was forced to resign for (at best) being a bit thick AND THEN GOT RE-HIRED INTO THE SAME JOB! Less than a week later, too!

Completely amazing – and definitely not in a good way.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

We worked with one who had been given to a drug gang when she was 13 to pay her mother’s drug debts off. She was passed to about three different gangs in the end. Gang raped night and day for about 3 months. Life changing injuries and HIV now.

I hope @goldstone reads this and feels utterly ashamed. I don't expect him to retract his comments but hopefully he realises his trolling/idiocy/fuckwittery has gone too far.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Despite me thinking – based purely on this one post alone – that you are insuffereable berk, I honestly hope that you don't ever find yourself on the streets, tent or no tent. You seem to have a warped sense of reality, or an ignorance to real-life situations that people find themselves in, through no fault of their own.

I think it's sad, but at least you got the attention that you seemingly craved by stating an utterly ridiculous conclusion to the problem. Well done you.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The problem is, how do we get this woman and her deliquent party out? Fareham has been blue as the day is long, so it is clear that people there have the "I can't vote anything except blue" mentality. Surely if people in her consituency were asked for their opinion on someone who made such statements (not being told the person giving the statement was a Tory or Braverman) they wouldn't support such lunacy of mind? Yet Fareham actually increased their Tory vote in 2019, she had 63.7% of the result? This baffles me at the voting box, people park their morals, common decency and respect at the door and vote blue its like Trumpism, ....I'm terrified of the next GE...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My mother, God rest her soul, used to use an expression: “he hasn’t got the sense he was born with”. It seems to fit you quite well.
I have enormous respect for the people posting on here about the homeless people they have worked with and how they got to where they are. Perhaps you should volunteer to work with such people?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I hope @goldstone reads this and feels utterly ashamed. I don't expect him to retract his comments but hopefully he realises his trolling/idiocy/fuckwittery has gone too far.
He has previous on this, so I doubt he feels any shame.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My mother, God rest her soul, used to use an expression: “he hasn’t got the sense he was born with”. It seems to fit you quite well.
I have enormous respect for the people posting on here about the homeless people they have worked with and how they got to where they are. Perhaps you should volunteer to work with such people?
My late mother had a similar phrase,

“Stop being a ****”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

But Ms Braverman’s plans are now undergoing scrutiny in government after being ditched from the government’s legislative slate, a move first reported by BBC Newsnight.

Mr Sunak refused to criticise Ms Braverman directly on Monday, but would not repeat or support her claim that rough sleeping was sometimes a “lifestyle choice
”.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
How about you just open your eyes or at least step down from your ivory tower for a bit, to get a real view of what's going on around you. I disagree with many people on many things, but I usually just keep my gob shut or agree to disagree.
I'm not the kind of person that would call someone a c**t, that's probably because the people I mostly know can show at least a tiny amount of empathy towards others. The last person I called a c**t had used my friend as a punch bag quite a few times, strangely enough she found herself in a situation of leaving & having no where to go, or staying as a punch bag but having a roof over her head. She was/is very clean and showered, doesn't have a drink problem & amazingly has a job!!!!!
Luckily she had people around her that could instantly help her out when she finally got the bottle to leave.
I wouldn't call you a c**t due to your exceptionally offensive stereotyping of a 'homeless' person, but I will let you know that if she didn't have a supportive family & supportive friends, you could be speaking about my friend. But you're not as she's now fine.
I hope you have a lovely evening in your home, with water on tap to wash & knowing that you can just toddle off to the kitchen to make a cup of tea & grab something to eat. (y)
Yes but he is c**t

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here