[Politics] The Right Honourable Suella Braverman. KC MP **Sacked 13/11**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think Braverman is pitching to the Tory faithful that she is the one to lead the party once Rishi gets booted out of No.10.
That's all it's about. A more extreme Johnson in that regard. She isn't that stupid to know that her comments whilst simultaneously damaging the Tories very small chance of winning the election are increasing her chances of becoming a leader in opposition.

If there are any Tory fan boys and girls on left on NSC, remember this is individual who went live on Peston to throw Johnson under the bus (whilst still PM) and announced her desire to replace him whilst refusing to resign.

Her name should be next to narcissistic in the dictionary.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Next time I walk past someone curled up in a shop doorway, I'm going to jab a finger in their FACE and say "lifestyle choice, you dirty FOREIGNER"

That'll show em'. Right, Sue ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Meanwhile:

Poverty levels in the UK are “simply not acceptable” and the government is violating international law, the United Nations’ poverty envoy has said ahead of a visit to the country this week, when he will urge ministers to increase welfare spending.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Everyone clutching their pearls should check out the tent cities blighting LA, San Fran, Portland etc. Is that what you really want in Brighton? It’s kinda heading that way in parts

Clem,

What’s happening in LA and Portland and the US generally is what happens when as a government you permit wealth inequality to go totally unchecked, and fail to enact and pay for social provision.

This is not an issue where anyone should be wringing their hands and crying “it’s hopeless, what can we do.”

In the immediate term we need to reenact the support provided by the last New Labour government to provide mental health support, night shelters etc.

In the longer term we need to rebuild our stock of local authority housing. We can do this one of two ways:

1. The old fashioned way, as we used to. The pros of this is that generally well built, spacious accommodation is created and local authorities pre Thatcher were more adept at building than private house builders were. The con is that it tends to group every individual/family in need of that support in one place. This can be a blessing or a curse depending on viewpoint.

2. We legislate that 20% of every development taking place in the U.K. must be given over to social housing. Once demand is met, that percentage can be tweaked by future governments.

The US is a barbaric country, barely a civilization given the way it treats the health and welfare of its own people, it’s absolutely not an example to follow. We must move to a higher tax, socially responsible style of government, or suffer continued decline.

The answer, having created a homelessness epidemic by allowing a broken housing system to remain broken, is not to ban tents. It’s to remove the need for people having to use them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Everyone clutching their pearls should check out the tent cities blighting LA, San Fran, Portland etc. Is that what you really want in Brighton? It’s kinda heading that way in parts
A- it’s not

B- address the cause of homelessness rather than persecute, yes PERSECUTE, the poor buggers who find themselves without a roof over their head.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
And why are there 'tent cities' in those US cities?

Is it perhaps that the pervading political and socioeconomic atmosphere there, even in relatively-left-leaning California and Oregon, means that there is not even the level of support or welfare funding for homeless people that is currently available in the UK?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
A- it’s not

B- address the cause of homelessness rather than persecute, yes PERSECUTE, the poor buggers who find themselves without a roof over their head.
How often do you hear the people that promote these policies and those that support them say "This country should look after it's own (first)"

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
having worked in the homelessness sector for around 10 years I can confirm that this is the stupidest suggestion any mainstream politician has had on the matter.

This is an issue largely caused by a variety of governmental policies predominantly from 2010 onwards

It was shown over covid that it IS possible to house the vast majority of rough sleepers, in B&H particularly this was a huge success and to choose not to house them is a political choice. A miniscule, and I mean MINISCULE % of the homeless population choose sleeping outside over stable accommodation

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting choice of phrase for your fourth post ever.

You are aware that, contrary to what Leaky Sue thinks, a large number of current homeless are both British and ex-servicemen? Wearing a poppy at the moment?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
having worked in the homelessness sector for around 10 years I can confirm that this is the stupidest suggestion any mainstream politician has had on the matter.

This is an issue largely caused by a variety of governmental policies predominantly from 2010 onwards

It was shown over covid that it IS possible to house the vast majority of rough sleepers, in B&H particularly this was a huge success and to choose not to house them is a political choice. A miniscule, and I mean MINISCULE % of the homeless population choose sleeping outside over stable accommodation
Everybody is vulnerable to homelessness.
The two main causes are losing a job and/or a family relationship breaking down.

The ones I really feel for are youngsters in care, who are literally left in limbo at 18. There are charities who help like Foyer but they've nowhere to go except hostels. It's one reason why some of them joined the forces.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Everybody is vulnerable to homelessness.
The two main causes are losing a job and/or a family relationship breaking down.

The ones I really feel for are youngsters in care, who are literally left in limbo at 18. There are charities who help like Foyer but they've nowhere to go except hostels. It's one reason why some of them joined the forces.

yes, in my most previous job in particular I had a very varied caseload. People who were long term entrenched homeless to people who had until recently had careers, families etc

many had previously been in care, many ex services etc

there's many lazy stereotypes when it comes to people experiencing homelessness but in my (vast) experience this fits a small % (who are perhaps the most visible)

Braverman is probably mostly thinking of London which is out of my sphere of knowledge but certainly in B&H the whole system is overwhelmed and failing. Emergency Accommodation (which is probably my main area of expertise) is often not fit for human habitation and to be honest, diabolical, the hostel system is very limited and not person-centered and there is a huge lack of social housing. The only time in recent years that it's been improved was during lockdown and the pretty successful scheme which primarily used hotels. This not only got people inside but got eyes on people who were going unnoticed by services.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can you IMAGINE, heading into winter, seeing someone curled up in a flimsy tent or sleeping bag, DARING to get some shelter from the cold in a doorway and the thought that comes to your head is "they are making the place look messy".

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Except where the alternative is to sleep without a tent on a wet, dirty pavement. The best solution, surely, would be to provide accommodation e.g. dormitories, for anybody that has nowhere permanent to live? Do councils and NGOs still offer this?
How about concentrate them into camps and let them keep their tents

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hate to disagree with so many of you, but she is absolutely correct. Tents adorning our city centres are a disgusting and should be removed the moment they appear. There are places which help the homeless. There is no need for them to be living in tents in our cities. And if it's their choice to live in a tent, then erect in some industrial park. By the way, I'm a bit right wing.
Big text part - where should they live then given councils only have limited property to house people ? If you're male, under 40, you have zero chance of even emergency accommodation. Many of those living on the streets are ex-service personnel.

Bit in italics - 99% of people don't choose to live on the street or in a tent.

I've given money, food and beer to those on the streets. Each time I stop and chat to them, find the time to speak to them - you'll be given a lesson in understanding their situation and rarely is it of their own making.

It looks like you've fallen for Braverman's prose completely.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Hate to disagree with so many of you, but she is absolutely correct. Tents adorning our city centres are a disgusting and should be removed the moment they appear. There are places which help the homeless. There is no need for them to be living in tents in our cities. And if it's their choice to live in a tent, then erect in some industrial park. By the way, I'm a bit right wing.

please provide an example that would be an alternative to sleeping outside?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports