Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The REMF team - selection etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You've been on a slagging off mission for sometime and what matters is not what you think, not what I think, it is what the Eatons think. If they wanted me to step down I would do without hesitation.
So you won't mind if I email Mark and point him in the direction of this thread then?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We do need to decide the format of the future games as we are at a crossroads here. The fund has moved on and needs to move with the times. If future games are to be based on a auction whereby the 20 people who bid the most will play, it will be put to the Eatons but as I said loads of times the whole fundraising activity is NOT just the players sponsorships. I am not defending the indefensible but you try and keep the peace and keep people onboard and not alienate people as its a charity and people give up their time for free and its not easy to do.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So you won't mind if I email Mark and point him in the direction of this thread then?

If you want I do not regret a single word I have written.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gareth doesn't deserve to be rounded on, but he's inviting it by attempting to defend the indefensible.

Can you not see his point, though?

I don't think I have been on an ego trip no. I will not even begin to start about what I have done over the last 9 years without any recognition as its now getting demeaning, to me and the fund. If people are not happy with me being chairman of the REMF I would give it up.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just out of interest. How would anyone KNOW who would raise the money given that it is only players in the squad who ask for sponsorship? Unless people jump the gun and collect sponsors PRIOR to the announcement.

Oh, and before people go "Well, why did you have a joint page up etc" it was, as explained at the time, for people who wanted to sponsor the event REGARDLESS of who was eventually selected.

Are people genuinely suggesting next season we get 50 people to hold mock collections to see who, in theory, raises the most?

The only way of making sure, would be to auction the places off. Which would not be showing who raises the most, but it would be showing who can buy a place on the team and thus be contrary to the spirit of the night.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
but as I said loads of times the whole fundraising activity is NOT just the players sponsorships.

But the primary aim of the charity, hell any charity for that matter, is to raise as much money as possible surely? If not, then just what is the point?

If I understand the figures correctly, if the player sponsorships for REMF 2009 had been on a par with previous years around £500 would have been raised. In 2009 the charity would have raised £7500 (and not the final c£11,000).

Thus, the superlative fund raising endeavours of last year's players boosted the coffers by an extra 46%. It would be extremely churlish to play down this significant income generator for the charity and the massive amounts of good that money has done and can do.

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Played and SCORED (twice) DANIEL :thumbsup:

I wouldn't play anyway. Not because I live 11,000 miles away, but mainly because I'm f***ing rubbish

I've still got more goals to my name Stumpy my old friend...

Seriously though, its times like this when I remember exactly why I can never be bothered to post here anymore. Very few people are coming out of this looking good.

By the way; I played in the first game, have scored three times, have lots of rich friends, handed out flyers at Selhurst during a Palace vs Norwich game and could recognise Andy in a bar...

I must be guaranteed a start, the captaincy and probably a happy finish afterwards...

it would be showing who can buy a place on the team and thus be contrary to the spirit of the night.

I thought the spirit of the REMF was about inclusion? Giving under-privilaged kids the chance to get involved in sport and their local communities. Having an REMF team of players that exclude new entrants regardless of ability on the pitch, in fundraising or in general helping out smacks of hypocrisy.

And Ritchie, choosing a team based on who raises the most is just a matter of setting a deadline. 1 week before kick off pick the top 11 top fundraisers who actually want to play. It's not rocket science.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Right I am out of here. The Eatons would be upset if they saw this thread and I am being questioned and criticised for my chairmanship so I will leave and take stock. I am only trying to be balanced and look at it from all sides, I am not responsible for the team selection or players getting sponsorships or how much they can raise.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You've been on a slagging off mission for sometime and what matters is not what you think, not what I think, it is what the Eatons think. If they wanted me to step down I would do without hesitation.
What do you mean I've been on a 'slagging mission for some time'? There was ONE THREAD where I questioned the validity of SOME of the projects the Fund had supported. One thread in ten years! Hardly a 'mission'.

And no of course I don't really want you to step down. If you go back through my posts over the years you'll find I've ALWAYS been supportive of you personally and I've publically stated how much I admire the work you put into the REMF.

BUT I really do think you've 'lost the plot' over this. The REMF game, as stated, is the flagship event and as such you should be looking to maximising the revenue. Instead you state that rasing money "isn't the main purpose" of the match, instead you see it as a kind of bonding exercise between you and your mates. I and others disagree with you, that's all. Surely you can see we have a point?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As a fat banker who probably could muster £500 I should really take offence that the comment. But I don't.

I know my limitations, I'm a below average footballer (as anybody who watched the Supporters' Club team in the early 90s would testify) and it would be an embarassment to the Charity and myself to put myself forward to play in the match. You have to trust people's judgement that they would be half decent otherwise they wouldn't put themselves up for it. With a squad of 20, there should be enough room for the not so great people to be accomodated. Unless subsititions will be chosen by a phone poll on the night so you can vote who goes off and who get's put on? All at £1 a minute - it's a way of making money.

I do think as others have said that US has put forward a very valiant position on this thread and whilst I don't agree entirely wth it, ultimately he should not have to justify himself any further and be allowed to get on with the other good work he does around this.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Interesting that none of the current incumbants have had the bollocks to come on here to defend their positions. Instead, preferring to hide behind Gareth and Richie's efforts at justifying their inclusion.

I have stayed out of it until now, and will just say a couple of things. I suggested to the team this morning that we try and stay out of the thread. I felt that tensions were getting bad, and everyone from all angles trying to defend their position would cause havoc and lose friends of REMF at a time when REMF needs them most. The danger is it is going to end up with no sponsorship and one man and his dog turn up to Lewes. No one wants that, but it is getting out of hand.

I felt that the beanfeast would stop once the team selection was justified, but obviously it hasnt. It may be wrong in someways and it is only going to esculate further when/if we do a game at Falmer.

I feel sorry for Simon, Snoobs, Matt, Nick and Ian that have missed this year, but they have accepted it and been dignified about it. Their chance may come up if theres injuries etc..

I am working on a solution with the rest of team, one that will hopefully raise more money for REMF, I dont know if it will happen, but I am worried that the good work of the last 9 years is about to implode, which is a sad sad day for REMF and NSC

anyway, my JEDWARD Easter Egg has arrived and I'm hungry

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I thought the spirit of the REMF was about inclusion? Giving under-privilaged kids the chance to get involved in sport and their local communities. Having an REMF team of players that exclude new entrants regardless of ability on the pitch, in fundraising or in general helping out smacks of hypocrisy.

And Ritchie, choosing a team based on who raises the most is just a matter of setting a deadline. 1 week before kick off pick the top 11 top fundraisers who actually want to play. It's not rocket science.

Ok.

a) that means 11 players who have never met, let alone played together.

and

b) What happens to the sponsorship of the players who are NOT in the top fundraisers? I would love trying to get sponsorship by telling people "Right, I might play in a charity game. I might not. Can I have some dosh anyway?

Ok.

a) that means 11 players who have never met, let alone played together.

Who do you think is going to apply to play then? The same people as now plus maybe another 10 or 15 who have not felt able to up until now. How will that be 11 strangers? Ridiculous argument quite frankly. And anyway, so what if you don't know a few people on your CHARITY team?

b) What happens to the sponsorship of the players who are NOT in the top fundraisers? I would love trying to get sponsorship by telling people "Right, I might play in a charity game. I might not. Can I have some dosh anyway?

You are priceless. That is exactly what you have just done this year!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As a fat banker who probably could muster £500 I should really take offence that the comment. But I don't.

I know my limitations, I'm a below average footballer (as anybody who watched the Supporters' Club team in the early 90s would testify) and it would be an embarassment to the Charity and myself to put myself forward to play in the match. You have to trust people's judgement that they would be half decent otherwise they wouldn't put themselves up for it. With a squad of 20, there should be enough room for the not so great people to be accomodated. Unless subsititions will be chosen by a phone poll on the night so you can vote who goes off and who get's put on? All at £1 a minute - it's a way of making money.

I do think as others have said that US has put forward a very valiant position on this thread and whilst I don't agree entirely wth it, ultimately he should not have to justify himself any further and be allowed to get on with the other good work he does around this.

Thanks, it was just a " topical " joke, not intended to offend. I am tried to see if from all angles and all opinions and not alienate people and not insult people or go off on one which as you know is an effort. I can take being abused as a mortgage broker, or as a shit film critic but I made a vow to myself, the Eatons and NSC to represent the REMF as best I could and hoped I had done that so this thread is very upsetting. To be accused as being on some sort of ego trip for the last 9 years I think is very harsh. I did not want to have to " defend " my position but as I was being personally slagged off I had to.

I think the only way forward is to have an open meeting for everyone to come to who wants to about the REMF games in the future and who should play as we are getting nowhere on here.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What do you mean I've been on a 'slagging mission for some time'? There was ONE THREAD where I questioned the validity of SOME of the projects the Fund had supported. One thread in ten years! Hardly a 'mission'.

And no of course I don't really want you to step down. If you go back through my posts over the years you'll find I've ALWAYS been supportive of you personally and I've publically stated how much I admire the work you put into the REMF.

BUT I really do think you've 'lost the plot' over this. The REMF game, as stated, is the flagship event and as such you should be looking to maximising the revenue. Instead you state that rasing money "isn't the main purpose" of the match, instead you see it as a kind of bonding exercise between you and your mates. I and others disagree with you, that's all. Surely you can see we have a point?

For heavens sake. I never said that , read my post again. I said the players sponsorships has never been the ONLY focus of fund raising it is one of numerous things, gate money, raffle money, auctions, donations on the night.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
for what its worth, what happens if the top 10 fundraisers all want to play in goal? there has to be some kind of organisation and there are people like Gareth, Andy, Brett, TLO etc who put a lot of effort in. Lets get together and stop bickering and help make this years event a success.
I will also sacrifice my place in the team (which means a huge amount to me) should someone want to play and be willing to make a suitable donation for the honour of playing. I will still be there and help with the team either way.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You are priceless. That is exactly what you have just done this year!

No it isn't. The team knew in advance the squad had not been named. Hence why I didn't ask any of my friends, colleagues, or family for sponsorship until I found out I was playing.

The joint page going up when it did was, as I have said already, for people who just want to sponsor the team rather than an individual.

The sort of people who expressed regret last year that they felt bad sponsoring one person and not others.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Gareth - I think you have said everything you need to. I would leave it here mate.

I think most people have had their two penn'orth. It is how it is for this year. I personally will donate, do everything I can to help, watch a good match (hopefully) and maybe we can agree on a better way of doing things for next year.

If nothing else, this thread shows how much people care about the REMF. And that is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here