Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The rain and you

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't mind the rain. I'd prefer it to be only at night, during the winter and when I'm not watching Bobkin Jnr's football, but it's done wonders for the garden this past couple of weeks.

Wind – that's the one that can piss right off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing.

I really like being out in all weathers, good and bad - part of life's rich tapestry IMO.

Obviously if it's cold &/or wet and I'm caught out for any long spell with inadequate clothing, it's not much fun, so the above is within reason.

What a horrible way for these poor souls to go: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...launched-after-21-runners-die-in-cold-weather

The Chinese ultra thing is just awful..........does seem as though there were no mandatory kit requirements so most got caught out in shorts and tee shirts whoch is quite incredible really given the terrain and length of the race. Most of the ultra races in the UK have rigorously-enforced minimum kit requirements (spare base layer, waterproof jacket that meets certain requirements, gloves, hat, space blanket, food and water etc) and they do spot-checks at the start, sometimes during the race and at the end with instant DQ if you don't have something on the list. Even locally at this time of year it can be hugely variable - I went for a jog on the Downs yesterday morning, at one point I was plenty warm enough in a tee shirt, but after a hailstorm and a temp drop of probably 6-8 degrees in a gale-force wind I was shivering within minutes. You're also far more susceptible to hypothermia when you're knackered after running a long way and depleted of energy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How is drinking beer in warm spring rain depressing? ???

You should try being a tramp.

You asked for my opinion. I gave it. I would find sitting outside in the rain, warm or otherwise, drinking beer, a depressing thing to do. The weather has not been warm either.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don't mind the rain, in fact I polish my head, so as the rain just runs off.
Quite useful when one is caught in downpour........

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You asked for my opinion. I gave it. I would find sitting outside in the rain, warm or otherwise, a depressing thing to do. The weather has not been warm either.

Yes, no problem with the opinion - just wanted a bit more meat on it.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Love isting by the fire in the winter with a warm bevvie and looking out at it.
Spellcheck...?

ba1eaf7fb1cc4308ca2bd4ac32dae9d3.gif

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As a lad, playing football in the rain was a dream come true.

Used to love it if the clouds were spraying come match day.

Sliding tackles, muddy knees and messed up boots.

Jumpers for goalposts......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, no problem with the opinion - just wanted a bit more meat on it.

I’m assuming you’re not under cover? You’re actually sitting in the rain? Each to their own of course but if I’m out for exercise or whatever and it rains? All good. As my rugby coach used to say, “if it ain’t raining, it ain’t training”. I quite enjoy training in the rain. That’s exercise.
I very often sit on the beach and meditate in my hooded poncho, in the rain, whatever the weather.
When I’m sitting down, relaxing with a beer, in my clothes, I’d find it very depressing if I was getting wet at the same time. Especially when pubs are open.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A bowler hat.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I really enjoy being out in the rain.
I do find it strange when it's starts to rain and some people go charging for cover as if an artillery barrage is imminent.
I would be in the stay outside and carry on drinking camp,it's just rain.
It can actually feel quite liberating to just sit in the rain and enjoy it and feel a sense of satisfaction that it hasn't upset any plans.
I don't agree with umbrellas but I understand if a lady wants to use one of she has spent a lot of time on hair and make up which is fair enough, but for some reason I get quite angry if I see a bloke with a brolly and I have had a few unnecessary and irrational arguments with men with brollies in the past.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Used to be the same as most people. Diving for cover. Then life (as those who know me will I think vouch for) took a fairly shitty turn over the last few months.

A few weeks ago, I was out walking and it absolutely pissed it down. I just kept on walking, staring up at the sky (as much as I could do for the water in my eyes), feeling the rain on my face and realised that getting soaked was, to be honest, simply not worth worrying about in the grand scheme of things.

(I mean, nor is football really, but at least it's a good diversion when times are tough).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I really enjoy being out in the rain.
I do find it strange when it's starts to rain and some people go charging for cover as if an artillery barrage is imminent.
I would be in the stay outside and carry on drinking camp,it's just rain.
It can actually feel quite liberating to just sit in the rain and enjoy it and feel a sense of satisfaction that it hasn't upset any plans.
I don't agree with umbrellas but I understand if a lady wants to use one of she has spent a lot of time on hair and make up which is fair enough, but for some reason I get quite angry if I see a bloke with a brolly and I have had a few unnecessary and irrational arguments with men with brollies in the past.

Quite a strange thing to get angry about. I go to work on the bus. Most nights I get off a stop early and get a cuppa and fresh fruit for the night shift ahead of me.
If it’s raining, I will pop the brolly so that when I get to a 15 hour night shift I don’t spend the first few hours sitting in wet clothing. I can only apologise that this has angered you :)

If I’m just out walking for enjoyment and it rains, I don’t mind getting wet at all. I’ll poke up with most things if there’s a warm shower, a hot meal and a cold pint at the end of it.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
What is your attitude to rain?

Every Wednesday I sit around outside (same spot every week) drinking a few beers before we go to the pub.

Last week we had our first rainy Wednesday since we began in late March, and one of the friends came out, said "no lets go inside". We had a ten minute heated debate, me and the two others thought that rain is just water and one of those small obstacles in life you should just ignore and live through rather than allow to prevent you from doing stuff.

How do you handle rain? Do you hide inside? Do you use the "plastic-roof-over-your-head" tool (I have a brain freeze and cant remember the English word for it) or do just take it like a (wet) man?

Where are you in Sweden? Have you been to the Amex and finally when will you visit us?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've been on many a long day on the bike in torrential rain. I love it! It energises me and I climb so much better in the rain too. The only downside is that descending becomes a bit dicey, so I just go really careful there. In fact, they had to shorten today's Giro d'Italia stage because of torrential rain and the danger of technical descents in it ( no spoilers please, I'm only catching up on the stage now).

I always loved playing football in the rain too. Again, I had much more energy in the rain, but what I liked most was the sliding tackles.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I enjoy the rain in two specific situations

1. Playing Football and diving into a crunching slide tackle (doesn't happen too much these days) :down:

2. Being somewhere hot, within a quick dash of some sort of bar/restaurant/cafe where I can get a coffee/beer/wine and sit outside, under cover and watch an electrical storm in my shorts.

Other than that, not a great fan. I was obviously born in the wrong country :facepalm:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I didn’t have a decent waterproof coat until we played at Withdean :)

A game against Carlisle at the end of December 2006 is one that stands out for me. We lost to Yeovil on Boxing Day (pathetically if I remember correctly), and then put in an equally dire performance against Carlisle, only this time it was tipping with rain. I had about my thickest coat on, which was supposed to be waterproof. It wasn't. We slumped off down to the Preston Brewery Tap afterwards, and everyone bagged the few spare radiator spaces for their coats. You could barely see in there for the fug of steam rising from the coats. I'm surprised we didn't short the electrics. After about an hour and a half I grabbed my coat and set off on the walk back to my car in Patcham. Rather than drying it out, the radiator had just made it slightly warmer, but still soaking wet. I still had to wear it, as it was still tipping down, but the coat seemed to weigh as much as I did. Another game like that was Burnley just before Christmas 2004. A load of the Falmer campaigners were trying to give out leaflets. I don't think they had much fun.

Regarding the OP's question, I normally just grin and bear rain, but would I sit drinking beer in it? No, I don't think so. Not that I've gone back to drinking in pubs yet, as I'm still being very careful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here