Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Plant based burger

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I am loving reading the smug superiority of a middle-aged individual shilling for Nestle, one of the most environmentally destructive corporations our planet has ever seen, and telling us what a chocolate bar is made of, because clearly we’re too stupid to know.

Perhaps these ridiculous old men you speak of have been around long enough for our cynicism regarding Nestle’s motives in labelling a chocolate bar as “vegan” to be well placed?

I imagine their motive is to sell more chocolate bars.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Absolutely. And why wouldn't they?

Anyway, makes no odds to me. I won't be buying the vegan or the original version.

I think for me, it’s that however cynical I get, the world is more cynical still. I find it depressing, and to be honest I would rather stand with those who’ve largely learnt to distrust labels such as “new” and the next big thing, and developed a healthy cynicism, than I will tolerate them being knocked by the kind of individual who’s still green enough to believe that any of the changes being made in society have their interests at heart.

That’s not how it’s happening, but I think you have to be old enough to have seen the patterns repeat a few times before you realise quite how deliberate and cynical it is.

I find the corporate weaponisation of youth and optimism distasteful. Although the veganism fad has largely run its course and is already on the way out, it will be replaced by something else in an effort to keep us distracted and divided, and whatever that thing is will largely succeed. Repeat ad nauseum.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I am loving reading the smug superiority of a middle-aged individual shilling for Nestle, one of the most environmentally destructive corporations our planet has ever seen, and telling us what a chocolate bar is made of, because clearly we’re too stupid to know.

Perhaps these ridiculous old men you speak of have been around long enough for our cynicism regarding Nestle’s motives in labelling a chocolate bar as “vegan” to be well placed?
I am confused, oh wise and ancient master, why would it be OK to buy a milk chocolate KitKat created by the evil empire of Nestle and yet unacceptable to buy a vegan chocolate KitKat created by the evil empire of Nestle?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am loving the skittishness of old men confronted with a food item they feel they must reject on account of the dreaded word "vegan" being written on its wrapper!

Chocolate bars are mainly sugar flavoured with cocoa and other loveliness. I couldn't give a rat's arse if it contained a dribble of milk or a dribble of squashed almonds instead. The only question is does it taste good?
There wasn’t a choice of any other chocolate bar in the WSU after yesterday’s match. Nothing to do with age at all….I’m not a pensioner yet :smile:
As a non meat eater I do eat vegan meals, vegetarians have been forgotten about in some restaurants.

I was given a bar of vegan chocolate by someone I did some work for, honestly i had one bite and binned it, didn’t taste nice.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I am confused, oh wise and ancient master, why would it be OK to buy a milk chocolate KitKat created by the evil empire of Nestle and yet unacceptable to buy a vegan chocolate KitKat created by the evil empire of Nestle?

No confusion required young gobshite, both are fine, it’s just depressing to see people trying to smugly point score off people who are (quite rightly) cynical about faddish variations on things.

Edit: Besides the above, the vegan kitkat was discontinued in 2022, so who knows how long they’ve had those in the storeroom for.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I don't have a particular axe to Grind on this. I am not veggie, let alone vegan. I do think we need to collectively eat less meat and dairy, but I am not a massive fan of the obsession with trying to recreate meat, instead of concentrating on how tasty non-meat products can be.

But, given what you are trying to do here (make the veggie alternative sound unpalatable) I have to ask, do you ever stop and think about you are doing when you eat meat? Bits of actual dead flesh? Muscle fibre and fat from a previously living creature. If we were not all culturally programmed to do it, I think it would be regarded as utterly disgusting. Certainly more so than a bit of lab-grown algae.
We are genetically programmed, not culturally programmed. Humans are carnivores.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There wasn’t a choice of any other chocolate bar in the WSU after yesterday’s match. Nothing to do with age at all….I’m not a pensioner yet :smile:
As a non meat eater I do eat vegan meals, vegetarians have been forgotten about in some restaurants.

I was given a bar of vegan chocolate by someone I did some work for, honestly i had one bite and binned it, didn’t taste nice.
Was it a vegan KitKat like the Albion are foisting upon us? Revolting!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm happy to try vegan food but my experience hasn't been that satisfying :

> I purchased the BOSH book. While the recipes I've used from it are OK it's amazing the number of ingredients that you need for most of the dishes.

> Ms WS loves Bonsai Plant Kitchen and so we went there for her birthday. It's telling how many dishes needed spice to give them a flavour - and spice and me don't get on ! Equally it didn't really fill up two sons aged 17 and 20.

I love cheese - and I mean proper French cheese - no way am I giving that up to become vegan - oh, and eggs.

I tend to eat 95% veggie so might give the vegan pie a try next match - just concerned what the pastry is going to be like.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Kitkats have got much smaller than they used to be. Vegan or otherwise.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't have a particular axe to Grind on this. I am not veggie, let alone vegan. I do think we need to collectively eat less meat and dairy, but I am not a massive fan of the obsession with trying to recreate meat, instead of concentrating on how tasty non-meat products can be.

But, given what you are trying to do here (make the veggie alternative sound unpalatable) I have to ask, do you ever stop and think about you are doing when you eat meat? Bits of actual dead flesh? Muscle fibre and fat from a previously living creature. If we were not all culturally programmed to do it, I think it would be regarded as utterly disgusting. Certainly more so than a bit of lab-grown algae.
The thing for me, be it juicy meat or juiy veg, is thats its as natural as possible.

speed grown and processed veg products appall me just as East terrace happy shopper arse n genital burgers Or chicken nuggets.

Something we've been conditioned to do over recent decades in our national race to the bottom is accept extremely low quality because its 'value' whilst the chosen few profit and we all get cancer from eating chemical laden crap.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm happy to try vegan food but my experience hasn't been that satisfying :

> I purchased the BOSH book. While the recipes I've used from it are OK it's amazing the number of ingredients that you need for most of the dishes.

> Ms WS loves Bonsai Plant Kitchen and so we went there for her birthday. It's telling how many dishes needed spice to give them a flavour - and spice and me don't get on ! Equally it didn't really fill up two sons aged 17 and 20.

I love cheese - and I mean proper French cheese - no way am I giving that up to become vegan - oh, and eggs.

I tend to eat 95% veggie so might give the vegan pie a try next match - just concerned what the pastry is going to be like.

I had a vegan pie, it was nice . . .like a veggie curry . . . Pastry with veg oil isn't the same as butter, but 90% of pie pastry isn't made with butter anyway, some veg oils ( sunflower, rapeseed etc) crips nicely so a veg curry type pie is very nice, would have been even better with a pot of tsaziki . . . . Butter based it doesn't keep in bags on shelves in fridges in shops for weeks. . . .

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Broccoli, cauliflower and cheese is the current one on sale.
I very rarely eat pies at the Amex but had one before an evening match this season, can’t say I was that impressed.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Had a plant based burger a couple of years ago in some place in London off Tottenham Court Road a couple of friends took me to. Apparently it's the go-to place and had tons of rave reviews.

Thought it was pretty boring, tasteless and not filling at all despite the costs. I hate McDs, BK, KFC etc... and not had any burgers from them for about 10 years.

Had a fantastic gourmet burger from The Perch on Lancing Green, that filled me up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here