Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Plant based burger

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Anyone have it? Surprising nice.
They are going to need to bring it back again, so that we can win the next game too…

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There’s nothing quite like the taste of lab-grown algae is there? With the artificially added non-meat juices dribbling down your chin. Yum.
I don't have a particular axe to Grind on this. I am not veggie, let alone vegan. I do think we need to collectively eat less meat and dairy, but I am not a massive fan of the obsession with trying to recreate meat, instead of concentrating on how tasty non-meat products can be.

But, given what you are trying to do here (make the veggie alternative sound unpalatable) I have to ask, do you ever stop and think about you are doing when you eat meat? Bits of actual dead flesh? Muscle fibre and fat from a previously living creature. If we were not all culturally programmed to do it, I think it would be regarded as utterly disgusting. Certainly more so than a bit of lab-grown algae.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't have a particular axe to Grind on this. I am not veggie, let alone vegan. I do think we need to collectively eat less meat and dairy, but I am not a massive fan of the obsession with trying to recreate meat, instead of concentrating on how tasty non-meat products can be.

But, given what you are trying to do here (make the veggie alternative sound unpalatable) I have to ask, do you ever stop and think about you are doing when you eat meat? Bits of actual dead flesh? Muscle fibre and fat from a previously living creature. If we were not all culturally programmed to do it, I think it would be regarded as utterly disgusting. Certainly more so than a bit of lab-grown algae.
Pretty sure meat-eating has been the norm in just about every culture everywhere since about forever. Lab-grown algae? Not so much

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Been a veggie for about five years, I eat dairy and a little bit of fish… never been leaner, fitter, faster and more energised.

It’s all about balance for me and global sustainability with it.

I don’t like ‘meat’ like veggie burgers at all, so can sympathise with the post you were responding to… nothing overly processed is good… and I include all the SHIT that’s in you average white loaf 🍞 etc.

I think my colon has enjoyed my choices most of all…

If you don’t like it, well… tough shit.

lol 😂

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022

All the time. Meat is fantastic.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They are going to need to bring it back again, so that we can win the next game too…
As has already historically mentioned by one or two of the more pompous posters on here ( Not @Herr Tubthumper ) my palate isn’t upto much but I came across this particular plant based burger patty in Cote and loved it so much trod uncharted territory into Waitrose to buy some, I really enjoyed it 😋
IMG_1125.jpeg

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I am vegetarian, but I draw the line at paying £15 for a burger at the football. Pleased it was good though - maybe it will encourage some more variation in the future.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There’s nothing quite like the taste of lab-grown algae is there? With the artificially added non-meat juices dribbling down your chin. Yum.
Wasn’t the veggie burger just mushrooms? Which as far as I know are generally farmed?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I eat veggie and vegan food. Not usually keen on burgers made to be 'meaty' but understand why they do them.

Dont like mushrooms though. Cant palate whole ones, will suffer (if i have to) finely chopped up ones. The vegan broccoli, cauli and cheese pie yesterday turned out to be......spinach, mushroom and cheese! Ive suffered it twice before (Brentford and spurs) so declined to take it back and get something else, and eat what i could. Now 3 out of 3!!

Please understand how I am suffering your your (okay and my) happiness

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Wasn’t the veggie burger just mushrooms? Which as far as I know are generally farmed?

Honestly I was being slightly facetious, but from what I’ve read the latest “generation” of meat-free burgers have a lot more to them. You’ll find plenty of articles talking about the care and attention that’s gone into them, which can be quite impressive, until you realise it’s to imitate something that already exists plentifully.

It also fits into a particular narrative that’s sprung up around meat, which is very similar to the narrative that sprung up around tobacco, and as of a couple of years ago about alcohol, and seems to me designed to do nothing more than keep us fit for work for longer with a lower cost to our healthcare systems.

Personally I’m not quite ready to live a completely joyless existence, and while there are good intentions behind all this, I resent the way these notions are seeded in our media outlets, and then endlessly picked up and regurgitated.

Any prickliness detected on my part is not really about meat-free burgers, it’s about the way we’re all endlessly being psy-op’d, and even being psy-op’d with good intentions doesn’t (to my mind) make me like it.

What all this anti-meat nonsense actually tells you, is that somebody else is eating all the beef. I doubt very much that consumption has dropped in the homes of any of our political class.

Edit: I appreciate that this response may be WAY over the top considering your original question. :lolol:

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here